SI Magazine lays off their entire photography staff

Consider me available if they're hiring for the swimsuit edition

Everybody wants that assignment, but its not a cakewalk.

I've been on shoots LIKE that. In the studio @ 3AM to prep for the days work.

Pick up the models with the RV, and be at the beach for sunup. Shoot until sundown.

Arrive back at the studio after 10PM. Unload gear,etc, etc, etc. Home past midnight.

Everybody wants that assignment, but its not a cakewalk.

I've been on shoots LIKE that. In the studio @ 3AM to prep for the days work.

Pick up the models with the RV, and be at the beach for sunup. Shoot until sundown.

Arrive back at the studio after 10PM. Unload gear,etc, etc, etc. Home past midnight.

...or you could work for a living...

Anyway, how much can 6 employees cost a magazine?? This is really going to save SI? Strange move.

I can honestly say that for the few periods in my life when I've been an SI subscriber, I always enjoyed their photographs most.

It is, after all, called Sports ILLUSTRATED.

I'm the exact opposite. I bought my first SI on the way to NYC when I was 8 years old in 1970. Willie Mays was on the cover, and we saw him play the next day vs. the Mets - he was on the cover and they had a ceremony for him at the game because he just hit his 3000th. Say Hey - 3000! was the cover.

I asked my parents if I could subscribe and there have only been brief periods when I have not been subscribed ever since.

And, I've never really cared about the pictures, though I know a lot of people like them.

Anyway, how much can 6 employees cost a magazine?? This is really going to save SI? Strange move.

Figure six guys at fully loaded cost of say, at least, $150 k.

I would think travel costs per week have to be at least $1k a week for each.

All told, that's about $1m

Now, how much pictures cost from Getty Images/ freelancers I have no idea.

...or you could work for a living...

Really? I'm kind of sick of hearing stuff like this. I don't like to see complaining about any job, but he was just explaining that it's a challenging gig beyond the glamor. Someone who does this job "works" because society places a value on the work and pays for it.

You have a lot of well-founded perspectives even though I find them contrarian, but dissing someone else's line of work just because it's not important to you is rude at best.

Figure six guys at fully loaded cost of say, at least, $150 k.

I would think travel costs per week have to be at least $1k a week for each.

All told, that's about $1m

Now, how much pictures cost from Getty Images/ freelancers I have no idea.

I think this is all about the slow bleeding to death of print media. They don't get a lot of revenue from subscribers any more, so it all has to come from advertising, and we're generally talking about web readership for them, for the most part, so the ad revenue is even lower. They may think that they can get away with pretty good photographers as opposed to great ones -- and they may be right in a web environment rather than for big glossy spreads. We don't have LIFE magazine anymore, after all. To wit, you can get your cheesecake from so many other places beyond the swimsuit issue that even that flagship enterprise is not what it once was.

The days of employees being able to stay at a company for 25-35 years are over for the most part. It is too expensive for companys to keep giving raises and pay retirements. Sports Illustrated will survive. There is plenty of good photagraphers, graphic designers, and editors out there. A lot more than you think. They will hire a new crop and not miss a beat. In about 9 years they will all be gone too. Corporate America at its finest.