Whaley on Kouandjio

Beerball

We're excited to see him next year, and it's going to be interesting. If he steps up, and with Seantrel and Cordy and we get Chris Williams back and Wood, we think it should help us and improve our line play and our running back. Which also helps the quarterback.

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/01/qa_with_buffalo_bills_general_manager_doug_whaley_from_2015_senior_bowl.html

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in all these Whaley Q&A's he did including the one on Bryce Brown, kind of highlighted there were issues between him and Marrone on players and their usage. Not saying which one was correct, but will be interesting to see what happens with some of these guys next season. Whaley was being professional, but reading a bit between the lines, in particular in the Brown interview his comments about getting on the field, were pointed at Marrone.

I think in all these Whaley Q&A's he did including the one on Bryce Brown, kind of highlighted there were issues between him and Marrone on players and their usage. Not saying which one was correct, but will be interesting to see what happens with some of these guys next season. Whaley was being professional, but reading a bit between the lines, in particular in the Brown interview his comments about getting on the field, were pointed at Marrone.

Yeah, the Brown stuff is at the same link. They broke one session with Whaley into 4-5 online articles, but, I think everything is in the one linked above.

it's not as obvious as marrone's "obviously's", but whaley describes himself as "excited" about something in pretty much every interview. dude's in a perpetual state of excitement. if he wasn't excited about something i'd wonder if he was feeling ok.

it's not as obvious as marrone's "obviously's", but whaley describes himself as "excited" about something in pretty much every interview. dude's in a perpetual state of excitement. if he wasn't excited about something i'd wonder if he was feeling ok.

This. I don't think we need to over analyze Whaley's comments. Of course he should report being excited (even if he really isn't) about his players. Can you imagine if he said something like "well, we're hoping Cyrus gets better because it was pretty clear to everyone, including fans, that he sucked pretty bad last season in camp and in practice."

Common man! He would get lamb basted!

This. I don't think we need to over analyze Whaley's comments. Of course he should report being excited (even if he really isn't) about his players. Can you imagine if he said something like "well, we're hoping Cyrus gets better because it was pretty clear to everyone, including fans, that he sucked pretty bad last season in camp and in practice."

He actually did admit that by saying that in practice during the season (not seen by public) he looked far better than he looked in camp (seen by public)

its a pretty stock answer. though his point stands, and if CK plays like a first rounder that slid a little, and henderson takes a step forward, and a healthy williams is the weak link on the line, we might see a nice bump without totally revamping things. I do hope they add a starter quality player in there though - worst case good depth.

I agree with the viewpoint expressed that Whaley, in a polite professional way, seemed to be making several points about Marrone. For example he referenced Rex "taking the shackles off' and "just get me the best players out there" several times. The implication is at times he felt shackled by the previous coaching staff and felt they were being limited to only looking at certain players. In fact he pretty much says so: "Hey, listen, let's just get good players. I'm a matchup guy, I'm a personnel guy. If this guy does this great, we'll put him in position to be successful.' He doesn't want to be, 'We've got to get this 6-5, 260 linebacker. Then that puts restraints on you. And then you get that guy, but maybe he's not as good a player as the 6-2 guy who's 250 but he's a better football player."

I don't think he was talking about linebackers.

You can tell he has a passion for scouting and evaluating players. I think it's cool because when you see video clips of him in the war room on draft day or often on the field watching from the sidelines, he is Mr. Poker Face. And he looks as if he'd rather clean a toilet than do a media day. But he clearly loves football and loves his job.

I agree with the viewpoint expressed that Whaley, in a polite professional way, seemed to be making several points about Marrone. For example he referenced Rex "taking the shackles off' and "just get me the best players out there" several times. The implication is at times he felt shackled by the previous coaching staff and felt they were being limited to only looking at certain players. In fact he pretty much says so: "Hey, listen, let's just get good players. I'm a matchup guy, I'm a personnel guy. If this guy does this great, we'll put him in position to be successful.' He doesn't want to be, 'We've got to get this 6-5, 260 linebacker. Then that puts restraints on you. And then you get that guy, but maybe he's not as good a player as the 6-2 guy who's 250 but he's a better football player."

I don't think he was talking about linebackers.

You can tell he has a passion for scouting and evaluating players. I think it's cool because when you see video clips of him in the war room on draft day or often on the field watching from the sidelines, he is Mr. Poker Face. And he looks as if he'd rather clean a toilet than do a media day. But he clearly loves football and loves his job.

and early, i think we all pictured marrone being willing to work with talent and not just scheme -- but that was not the case. whether our RBs, WRs, lineman.... we saw it a lot. Edited by NoSaint

But he did say it -- although not in that manner. He was specifically asked "what if they don't improve" and he answered it honestly. He essentially said, "we have to be prepared for that, which is why we're always looking for a replacement."

I'm a huge Whaley fan -- the man has a plan and he's sticking to it.

But he did say it -- although not in that manner. He was specifically asked "what if they don't improve" and he answered it honestly. He essentially said, "we have to be prepared for that, which is why we're always looking for a replacement."

I'm a huge Whaley fan -- the man has a plan and he's sticking to it.

and from what we have heard its a smart, executable plan. he has a methodology and vision and its adaptable to changing circumstance without scrapping the whole system....

I feel the same way.

The further out we get, the more I wonder if the Polian comments with the press - stuff implying that B'lo did not get Marrone the players he needed, which points the finger at Whaley - backfired on Marrone. Whaley comes from a very widely respected FO in Pittsburgh and judging by the trades and such under his aegis he has the contacts and cred to get things done. Whaley is too professional to go to the press and sling mud in public. But football is a small world. Simple to call a guy and say "off the record, Doug, what's going on there?" Whaley seems like a straight shooter so I imagine they'd get the straight dope.

and from what we have heard its a smart, executable plan. he has a methodology and vision and its adaptable to changing circumstance without scrapping the whole system....

...and he knows he won't be restricted financially by the owner(s).

It's crazy enough that it just might work!

Based off what Whaley said, it seems that he thinks Glenn, Williams, Wood, Kujo, Henderson could be our starting offensive line next year. If that is the case then Whaley just doesn't get it.

Emphasis added.

Based off what Whaley said, it seems that he thinks Glenn, Williams, Wood, Kujo, Henderson could be our starting offensive line next year. If that is the case then Whaley just doesn't get it.

I am cetain he will not want to go in with that line. He has to talk positively about the guys on the roster.

seems pretty overstated. as others corrected, it seems hes saying that it would be great if all those guys step up, but hes not putting all his eggs in that basket.