New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the question is does it hurt the league's image more if they sweep this under the rug and all kinds of fans and writers explode over it, or does it hurt the league's image more if they take an unusual stand and actually do something about it which exposes the problem to way, way more people before the Super Bowl.

And does the fact there is two weeks before the Super Bowl make it more likely or less likely that they make either of those decisions. The NFL is going to do what it perceives as being best for the NFL, with little to do with right and wrong and fair play. What I don't know is which decision looks worse for them, and whether their chumhood with Kraft and Bellicheat is enough to sway that image saving decision.

Now the question is does it hurt the league's image more if they sweep this under the rug and all kinds of fans and writers explode over it, or does it hurt the league's image more if they take an unusual stand and actually do something about it which exposes the problem to way, way more people before the Super Bowl.

And does the fact there is two weeks before the Super Bowl make it more likely or less likely that they make either of those decisions. The NFL is going to do what it perceives as being best for the NFL, with little to do with right and wrong and fair play. What I don't know is which decision looks worse for them, and whether their chumhood with Kraft and Bellicheat is enough to sway that image saving decision.

Good question. Plus, if they end up taking this seriously, the outrage over why they didn't take the domestic abuse allegations as serious as this.

If they wanted to sweep it under the rug, we would have never heard about it.

Well adios .. I am gonna take my tinfoil hat (actually copper works better) and put it away . I hope I care enough to torture this douche and his flunkies when we play a game that is kinda like football next year. I hope rex ryan mobilizes our team to kick Lucy in the head. At least I hope they know to monitor all radio signals and film etc and stick it to them for the sake of the league . I'm hungry and I'm not getting paid millions to have our cities' back . I am afraid this is what the lame league likes now . They have the good (don't need selfish Percy ) vs evil bowl . I'm not sure i care unless someone can convince me it isn't a little bit contrived and trending toward wrestling.

I think, barring anything crazy coming out - that would be hard to imagine them being able to find- they will go with the standard fine.

I agree with your first two points. The third point is a bit excessive though. A lifetime ban for something this insignificant. Assuming they find wrongdoing, should there be a penalty, of course. I'll even argue that it should be sharper considering the fact that this isn't the first time they've done this. But a lifetime ban? C'mon.

If its so insignificant, why is there a rule forbidding it? Why would one team risk exposure by doing it? There's obviously an advantage. And it's clearly a violation of league rules. There's no gray area here.

IMO, a lifetime ban is justified, not for this act, but for the multitude of acts. He has been caught cheating in the past, with minor fines. And it's not effectively deterred him one bit.

So, now when you go to Foxboro you have to worry about your game plan... And the headsets, your calls being read, your walk through being watched, obscure rules about line formations, even something as insignificant as how much air is in the ball! The league needs to put a stop this once and for all.

NFL VP of officiating, Dean Blandino, explained that, prior to each game, both teams hand over to the league, 12 balls. League officials then inspect the balls for proper sizing and PSI prior to introduction into the game. At this point in time the balls are literally out of the Pats hands. So, how exactly is this a case of the Pats cheating?

I thought the Indy Sully brought it to the media's attention and then more and more people jumped on it.

All they would have to do is say something like "No, one of the kicking balls got put into the game by mistake, and we had to swap out... etc etc"

Bounty Gate, which had year and partial year suspensions come out of it, is terrible press and image problems for the NFL because of player safety, and the obvious intention to hurt someone. But it isn't really affecting the integrity of the game.

Cheating to gain a competitive advantage to help you win a game by intentionally avoiding the rules is a worse offense for the game. That's why Spygate was way worse than Bounty Gate, although the penalties were different. Spygate hurt the integrity of the competition.

Sweep it under the rug.

And by "sweep it under the rug," I mean "It's impossible to determine if the balls were properly inflated this long after the game, so the only realistic result of the investigation is 'We couldn't find any wrong-doing,' which people will interpret as a coverup."

Big surprise the Pats' win would be questioned in game officiated by Walt !@#$ing Coleman that puts them in the Superbowl. Gee, that almost never happens...

NFL VP of officiating, Dean Blandino, explained that, prior to each game, both teams hand over to the league, 12 balls. League officials then inspect the balls for proper sizing and PSI prior to introduction into the game. At this point in time the balls are literally out of the Pats hands. So, how exactly is this a case of the Pats cheating?

The way the ex ref explained it on ESPN, each team gives the refs the balls, they check and then mark the balls, and then they go back to the ball boys for that team. So the balls are not in possession of the refs the entire game, only htat pre game period where they check them.

The kicking balls are however controlled by the league

That puts them in the charge of Walt "Tuck Rule" Coleman.

the pats ball boys are probably behind the will and character if their boss . They handle the balls just like they have interns film the game etc . Think that lance fooled the bike cops because he was good at more than biking . They have motive and opportunity . I'm more concerned about the whole picture . Same as it ever was ...

I agree with your first two points. The third point is a bit excessive though. A lifetime ban for something this insignificant. Assuming they find wrongdoing, should there be a penalty, of course. I'll even argue that it should be sharper considering the fact that this isn't the first time they've done this. But a lifetime ban? C'mon.

You're missing the point entirely.

The offense here (if allegations true) is not that Tom Brady got a 1% better grip on the ball on a handful of plays, or that his receivers got a 4% better grip on the ball, on a handful of plays.

It's that you have a coaching staff and management of an NFL football team deliberately, willfully, and in a pre-meditated fashion looking to find rules to break, so they could cheat and gain some competitive advantage...and then actually breaking those rules.

If you will do this, you will do things a heck of a lot more serious or impactful on the game, if you can figure out what those might be.

Something like a big time professional sports league which rides on a reputation of integrity and parity simply can't have this stuff floating around.

Not in my view, at least.

It casts a really negative shadow on an operation involving many wealthy people making zillions of dollars, and that machine is much larger than any individual, like Billy B.

The league checks the balls before the game. The home team is then responsible for providing attendants on both sides of the field to give the balls on each possession to the officials to put them into play. The officials don't keep the balls themselves.

All they would have to do is say something like "No, one of the kicking balls got put into the game by mistake, and we had to swap out... etc etc"

There were several.