New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's that you have a coaching staff and management of an NFL football team deliberately, willfully, and in a pre-meditated fashion looking to find rules to break, so they could cheat and gain some competitive advantage...and then actually breaking those rules.

Like designing plays that use players declaring eligible/ineligible to disguise otherwise illegal substitutions?

Yeah, "that's not technically cheating," but it's a short step from that sort of "gaming the system but technically legal" to "break the rules in ways that can't be caught."

Sweep it under the rug.

And by "sweep it under the rug," I mean "It's impossible to determine if the balls were properly inflated this long after the game, so the only realistic result of the investigation is 'We couldn't find any wrong-doing,' which people will interpret as a coverup."

Big surprise the Pats' win would be questioned in game officiated by Walt !@#$ing Coleman that puts them in the Superbowl. Gee, that almost never happens...

Walt Coleman wan't there man...

The way the ex ref explained it on ESPN, each team gives the refs the balls, they check and then mark the balls, and then they go back to the ball boys for that team. So the balls are not in possession of the refs the entire game, only htat pre game period where they check them.

The kicking balls are however controlled by the league

If so, then one would wonder why the league even bothers inspecting the balls in the first place!

So, short of the ball being defective, or the ball boy purposely messing with things, or the weather altering the PSI, or a fattie player falling on said ball and compromising its air pressure integrity, this is a league official issue?

Does anyone know what the inspection protocol is for the league when it comes to balls removed by officials. Do they inspect all such balls? Further, when done is the team that supplied the ball(s), automatically deemed as cheaters because they doctored the ball(s)?

Edited by Pneumonic

If so, then one would wonder why the league even bothers inspecting the balls in the first place!

So, short of the ball being defective, or the ball boy purposely messing with things, or the weather altering the PSI, or a fattie player falling on said ball and compromising its air pressure integrity, this is a league official issue?

Does anyone know what the inspection protocol is for the league when it comes to balls removed by officials. Do they inspect all such balls? Further, when done is the team that supplied the ball(s), automatically deemed as cheaters because they doctored the ball(s)?

There's a league investigation in which any incriminating evidence is destroyed and league favorites get a slap on the wrist fine, all while some PR person stands around waving his hands saying "move along, nothing more to see here. you can all go home now."

Is there a standard fine? How much? When was that precedent set?

I believe several said 25k - which indicates that the nfl considers the infraction minor and/or easy to accidentally violate. That they let teams handle the balls indicates it's not an incredible edge to be gained.

Edited by NoSaint

I believe several said 25k - which indicates that the nfl considers the infraction minor and/or easy to accidentally violate. That they let teams handle the balls indicates it's not an incredible edge to be gained.

Thats what the Ex-Ref on ESPN said...here is the guys twitter account. Ex supervisor of officials, i am guessing he knows.

https://twitter.com/refereejimd

Thats what the Ex-Ref on ESPN said...here is the guys twitter account. Ex supervisor of officials, i am guessing he knows.

I've seen it in a couple articles including I believe a quote of the rule

Seems the nfl puts it roughly in line with gaming injury reports as far as advantage gained

Edited by NoSaint

If yesterday's 1st/2nd half performance #'s are any indication, Brady's near flawless 2nd half - with properly inflated footballs - blew away his much more pedestrian 1st half passing numbers - with deflated footballs.

If Brady had played the entire game with properly inflated football's, the Pats might have pasted a 60 burger on the Colts.

If yesterday's 1st/2nd half performance #'s are any indication, Brady's near flawless 2nd half - with properly inflated footballs - blew away his much more pedestrian 1st half passing numbers - with deflated footballs.

If Brady had played the entire game with properly inflated football's, the Pats might have pasted a 60 burger on the Colts.

OR he may have been even worse in the first half. There is no way of knowing.

I, for one, don't think it would have made much of a difference. The problem is that they repeatedly show no respect for the rules and the game.

WGR-550 just played a snippet from the ESPN-New England reporter (didn't catch his name) saying the penalty could include fines up to but not limited to $25,000....but that this is a rare offense....unchartered territory....no one knows what penalties might be in reality..and it could encompass a wide range of penalties.

I agree with that take; we'll see what the NFL turns this into.

At the start of the second half there was a delay after Indy kicked off to New England. The refs switched a ball out and then went on with the game. That had to be it. Phil Simms stated he thought there was still a kicking ball on the field and that was the delay, but he was clueless. It makes sense as the heavy precipitation was coming in in the second half and the pats could have deflated the ball at halftime.

I remember that specific delay and to be honest with you only one thought went through my mind. The Pats were being checked for a illegal formation or something fishy. At that point I think it was Jim Nance who mentioned the ball issue. I'm sorry but I'm just not surprised. Edited by seq004

suspend the Pats HC, and while your at it suspend Tom Terrific, that's about the only way the Bills and new ass clown HC will have a chance to possibly win division, or even get a wild card spot, Refs handle the ball after every play, so if there was a problem with the game balls and under inflated balls were used that the NFL needs to look at the Refs for not doing their job, but because the Pats have been that good for so long, it has to be some thing other that the Pats are just that good, "a poor workman always blames his tools" so the other teams in the AFC must be poor workmen

" it was Col. Mustard in the library with a candle stick" losers always fine excuses for not winning"

Edited by rumblefish