New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

Well as I understand how this works, he would have kicked OUR OWN ball under OUR OWN CONTROL and (hopefully) inflated to perfectly nominal pressures so he could hit the freaking field goal.

Yea, also the small point of having the laces facing the wrong direction. That may have influenced the kick. laces pointed right. Kick wide right.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do unto bill and that fock has done unto us .. But don't whine because here is yet another reason we know anything is possible . Ask Baltimore if they like wrestling referees . Sad really that goodell thinks this is ok still tolerable after tsking a draft pick for .. No reason ?

Speaking of the Patriots cheating, am I the only one who retroactively wondered about the Nate Solder touchdown reception after the Patriots were penalized later in the game for the wrong lineman reporting as an eligible receiver? If I remember correctly, the penalty occurred because lineman #71 reported as eligible but lineman #77 went down field instead.

It made me wonder who reported as eligible during the scoring play and what the officials announced. The fact that #77 and #71 are about as similar looking jersey numbers as you can get from two offensive linemen came to mind as well. These are the kinds of things you have to worry about when playing the Patriots, it seems.

I think everywhere I've read leans towards "theres a pretty good chance they did it but it's not a huge advantage even if they did, it didn't effect that game, and most (if not all teams) partake in little things like this" where this board is talking first rounders, suspensions and like they should be kicked out of the super bowl

Right, it's just Bills fans because we lose to them. Read the comments: I'm seeing a ton of the same vitriol and calls for punishment from fans all over the league.

Those same "sources" you mention most likely said the same things about Spygate too. 3 SB wins by 3 points and people so willingly want to ignore the subtleties of it, they want the cheating to stick out like lightning bolts, announcing its presence and deliver to you a powerpoint outlining its exact outcome on the score…or else it's a non-event.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

This is all moronic considering a pitcher just got a 200 million dollar contract to have fun and people in real danger or are sick from exposure have to fight to get money to sleep inside at night . Taping walk thrus and deflated balls are just not worth our time aside from the fact some idiot actually does this . It's why people are still mad about fixing games and black sox movies still endure . That's why people get killed cheating at poker after they try to make everyone look like fools with the who me? Defense.

Fock bill as he focks us . We will forget and take the high ground and get beat again if we do forget just like Charlie Brown and lucifer it's entertaining to everyone except poor Charlie ..

Do you think yelling at Charlie to kick Lucy instead of the football will help him . It's not nice but it's fair .

Will he listen after all these years on his back .

Kick her in the head Charlie!

I bet he forgets again next year, but I am truly tired of seeing him on his back.

why the heck doesn't the NFL provide the footballs at each game rather than having each team provide their own footballs? That makes no sense to me. Just bring a dozen balls to each game and make both sides use them.....Anyway, the Patriots* never seem to amaze....why a team that good has to cheat is beyond me.

Speaking of the Patriots cheating, am I the only one who retroactively wondered about the Nate Solder touchdown reception after the Patriots were penalized later in the game for the wrong lineman reporting as an eligible receiver? If I remember correctly, the penalty occurred because lineman #71 reported as eligible but lineman #77 went down field instead.

It made me wonder who reported as eligible during the scoring play and what the officials announced. The fact that #77 and #71 are about as similar looking jersey numbers as you can get from two offensive linemen came to mind as well. These are the kinds of things you have to worry about when playing the Patriots, it seems.

He was smart to understand that how many penalties get the wrong number announced . It's an insecure move . But the is now reduced to WWF and I want to turn it off like I did wrestling when I was 8. It's not athletic . It's as fun as watching Barry bonds hitting home runs . Once you know the trick , who cares .

@theMMQB: In all, at least four officials check for proper inflation. Here's Dino Paganelli from last year's Bears-Ravens game http://t.co/ndH4cEUIWQ

Well based on the examination room, I can see that this is very thoroughly and professionally carried out by the NFL.

The odds of NE actually cheating just went up by 20%.

Right, it's just Bills fans because we lose to them. Read the comments: I'm seeing a ton of the same vitriol and calls for punishment from fans all over the league.

Those same "sources" you mention most likely said the same things about Spygate too. 3 SB wins by 3 points and people so willingly want to ignore the subtleties of it, they want the cheating to stick out like lightning bolts, announcing its presence and deliver to you a powerpoint outlining its exact outcome on the scoreor else it's a non-event.

Im saying that given our hate for them we have more people getting extreme about it. I read a few other larger boards and it's getting a lot less discussion and its generally less outraged. So yea, I'm guessing it being our nemesis is skewing the reaction a little. If it was the Packers I think it'd be less angry about it here. Not that crazy a statement

Well as I understand how this works, he would have kicked OUR OWN ball under OUR OWN CONTROL and (hopefully) inflated to perfectly nominal pressures so he could hit the freaking field goal.

This is where people think you go too far but the point is correct , in that, it's makes your mind try to connect dots . The intelligent scoff . It's the same reason lance got away with it for so long. No one wants to teach a class about the zapbruder film because being "that" guy is insufferable . It's the weakness of the intelligent . Nobody wants to fooled . I am amazed lance got caught . It took greed and jealousy on both sides to make pettiness last long enough for the truth to be exposed.

I actually said that semi jokingly. I don't think he actually had anything to do with wide right, but this could go back. But after looking into it, balls used for kicking are actually held by the officials.

14 games a year we play the game as it should . Twice we embrace the ridiculous clown in the star wars hood and plan all year as many fun surprises for him. To play a game straight against him and believe he didn't steal our signals or isn't talking to brady during the play is foolish . That's what I hope this thread does.

That's why this small but effective trick is news because probably they are still doing the same crsp they got a first rounder taken for .

"Tis the doom of men that they forget "

Would you race lance straight up for all your cash or self justify the same behavior he has perpetrated or trust a third party that has nothing on the line to police the cheat .

First of all, in a multibillion dollar sport, why does the league still act like its 1920 and make teams bring their own balls? The league should provide the balls and both teams play with the same ones, the chance for something like this immediately evaporates if they did.

Second, along the same vein, get rid rid of part time, seasonal staff making critical calls that affect every game. The Refs should be full time, dedicated professionals that spend all their time improving their performance.

Third, if they allegations are correct, Bellicheck should get a life time ban. Enough already. He and this team have a history of bending the rules to suit their needs. It hurts the integrity of the game far more than a drunk player or a coach paying players to hit hard.

Seems when setting the ball they probably thought it felt a little soft, realistically.

Yep , probably brought a soft ball back to sideline afyer the interception . Once they got exposed there the did the solder trick and stole signals all game ... Or not .. Why take the chance. Too much smoke to ignore

First of all, in a multibillion dollar sport, why does the league still act like its 1920 and make teams bring their own balls? The league should provide the balls and both teams play with the same ones, the chance for something like this immediately evaporates if they did.

Second, along the same vein, get rid rid of part time, seasonal staff making critical calls that affect every game. The Refs should be full time, dedicated professionals that spend all their time improving their performance.

Third, if they allegations are correct, Bellicheck should get a life time ban. Enough already. He and this team have a history of bending the rules to suit their needs. It hurts the integrity of the game far more than a drunk player or a coach paying players to hit hard.

I agree with your first two points. The third point is a bit excessive though. A lifetime ban for something this insignificant. Assuming they find wrongdoing, should there be a penalty, of course. I'll even argue that it should be sharper considering the fact that this isn't the first time they've done this. But a lifetime ban? C'mon.

Do I think this whole thing with the pressure of the balls is hugely important? No. The Patriots would have undoubtedly won regardless. It's the Patriots' consistent willingness to bend or break the rules to gain an advantage that I have a problem with. For a team that already has one of the longest and most dominant franchises in NFL history, with the greatest QB of all time and the greatest Head Coach of all time, why the hell should other teams have to put up with them cheating? Isn't it hard enough to beat them as it is?

They're cocky, condescending, annoying, AND they cheat. The NFL needs to do more to stop them.