Rex wasn't Kim's first choice..

Mr. WEO

That's the sense I got and agree that the title is totally misleading. Reading that, and the story about Hue Jackson coming away from a Bills interview thinking he had the job in the bag, indicates that Bills were probably high on Jackson prior to meeting Ryan.

They, along with the rest of the world thought that Ryan was interviewing with Bills as a back up option to his likely landing spot in Atlanta. And, with pressure off both sides, that first interview was a home run for Bills & Ryan and they both realized that it would be a great fit.

So yes, Ryan probably wasn't their first choice. But it doesn't mean he wasn't their top choice.

Exactly.

Fwiw, I was told the Bills were very high on Jackson even before the interview took place.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yup. she lost me at the part where she said she had no opinion of rex prior to meeting him. anyone with any interest in football would have formed some opinion of rex by now. dude is hardly some shrinking violet, no-name coordinator. it's like saying you have no opinion on belichick or harbaugh.

Maybe having "no opinion" on him prior to the interview, is a good thing?

That's the sense I got and agree that the title is totally misleading. Reading that, and the story about Hue Jackson coming away from a Bills interview thinking he had the job in the bag, indicates that Bills were probably high on Jackson prior to meeting Ryan.

They, along with the rest of the world thought that Ryan was interviewing with Bills as a back up option to his likely landing spot in Atlanta. And, with pressure off both sides, that first interview was a home run for Bills & Ryan and they both realized that it would be a great fit.

So yes, Ryan probably wasn't their first choice. But it doesn't mean he wasn't their top choice.

This is wha tthe article clearly says. He wasn't their top choice until he interviewed. Rex "leapfrogged" over their previous top choice, as the article says.

I'm not sure where the confusion is. There is nothing misleading in the author's quoting of Kim Pegula for the title of this article.

The title is pretty straightforward and is factual, not at all misleading. He was not their first choice. She did not reveal who was in the interview.

My take from a couple of articles including I believe ESPN. is there was NO first choice. they just thought Rex would not impress like he had in interview 1. Title is misleading, if there is no named first choice. It is speculative at best. They had interviewwd "several" candidates of which no one was named a frontrunner. Got anything to dispute that?

Sounds to me like Kim is saying that Ryan wasn't one of their top choices (I.e. "In the short list") prior to the interview, but moved to the top after they met him. It's not a slight on Ryan and instead it's actually good to hear that they kept an open mind.

My take from a couple of articles including I believe ESPN. is there was NO first choice. they just thought Rex would not impress like he had in interview 1. Title is misleading, if there is no named first choice. It is speculative at best. They had interviewwd "several" candidates of which no one was named a frontrunner. Got anything to dispute that?

You may be right, but the article only inviolves the interview with Kim. She said what she said. If she mis-spoke, then maybe that changes everything. But the guy who reported the interview didn't mislead anyone.

This is wha tthe article clearly says. He wasn't their top choice until he interviewed. Rex "leapfrogged" over their previous top choice, as the article says.

I'm not sure where the confusion is. There is nothing misleading in the author's quoting of Kim Pegula for the title of this article.

"It was a little bit of a surprise, I'm going to admit, because he was not a candidate that we had really on the top of our list as, 'Wow, this is the guy we want. Let's go get him, We were just being very open-minded about everybody."

There was no true list as far as he is the best guy and the guy we want first. They didn't ask anyone back for a second interview but him.

Sounds to me like Kim is saying that Ryan wasn't one of their top choices (I.e. "In the short list") prior to the interview, but moved to the top after they met him. It's not a slight on Ryan and instead it's actually good to hear that they kept an open mind.

This is clearly what she is saying. Many here are struggling with this.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Baloney. The headline is a classic troll attempt by inferring that Bills had someone else pegged as their top choice for the coach. Literally, the headline is correct, but that's not what's implied in the headline.

Here's a headline that says the same, but reads totally different.

"Ryan chosen as Bills head coach by leapfrogging previous top contenders"

You may be right, but the article only inviolves the interview with Kim. She said what she said. If she mis-spoke, then maybe that changes everything. But the guy who reported the interview didn't mislead anyone.

He is like you are. It implies there was another guy on top of the list not Rex, as if he was second or third choice, the way say, Chan and Pettine for the Browns were hired, and that wasn't true.

In full honesty, Cowher was the top choice but he wasn't a candidate.

Unnecessary headlines like this are what start to shy people away from talking to the media. Angling for negativity in the coaching search when Kim did nothing but praise Rex is lazy.

Potentially damaging a long term bridge here for click-bait that lasts 24 hours. I'm a little surprised by the short shortsightedness of the media here.

Edited by hurfldurf

Baloney. The headline is a classic troll attempt by inferring that Bills had someone else pegged as their top choice for the coach. Literally, the headline is correct, but that's not what's implied in the headline.

Here's a headline that says the same, but reads totally different.

"Ryan chosen as Bills head coach by leapfrogging previous top contenders"

Yeah, but your headline doesn't drive page views.... totally agree it was a tease/ troll attempt headline which in 2015 is the sign of a weak story.