Marrone hired as Jags OL coach

YoloinOhio

Well , I don't think we have worry about anyone else quitting and expecting a good outcome .. Actually surprised he was hired at all .. Don't mess with buffalo .. Probably more like 32 owners saying don't embarrass any of them with a power play with no success to leverage ..

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not?

Since the 2010 season ended, the Jags have gone 5-11, 2-14, 4-12, and 3-13. If there's no real improvement next year, do they really have any other choice other than to blow it all up and clean house (again)? I suppose the team could have another 3 or 4 win season, with the offensive line's performance as a massive exception, but that's not exactly a scenario that plays out very often (other than maybe Dallas in the early 2000s). Again, anything is possible, but I can't imagine this is where he thought he would be a month ago.

If he becomes FL resident he will pay no state tax on $4M that the Bills owe him, correct?

I don't think that is true. I'm sure NYS would come after it because he earned it for his "work" in NYS.

If the Jags play poorly enough for Bradley to be fired, they aren't going internally for their next HC. If Bradley is fired mid-season, he may get a shot to take over as interim HC, but he'll have to do a heck of a lot to get the gig full time. I really don't see how this works out for him in any way unless the Jags somehow make a miraculous turnaround on the offensive side of the ball and it turns him into a hot commodity for a future job. Not sure those are good odds. . .

Well, he is St. Doug, didn't you hear?

I hope we embarrass their O-line in London.

Since the 2010 season ended, the Jags have gone 5-11, 2-14, 4-12, and 3-13. If there's no real improvement next year, do they really have any other choice other than to blow it all up and clean house (again)? I suppose the team could have another 3 or 4 win season, with the offensive line's performance as a massive exception, but that's not exactly a scenario that plays out very often (other than maybe Dallas in the early 2000s). Again, anything is possible, but I can't imagine this is where he thought he would be a month ago.

Does this speak to Doug's desperation? Apparently his agent has been starting up all sorts of rumors, leaking untruths to members of the media, trying to generate some interesting in Marrone, all to no avail.

So Marrone takes a OL coach - with a somewhat more exalted title - just to land a job and stay in the NFL. But the position he takes is probably just a temp job because the coaching staff is probably going to get fired at the end of the season.

Does this speak to Doug's desperation? Apparently his agent has been starting up all sorts of rumors, leaking untruths to members of the media, trying to generate some interesting in Marrone, all to no avail.

So Marrone takes a OL coach - with a somewhat more exalted title - just to land a job and stay in the NFL. But the position he takes is probably just a temp job because the coaching staff is probably going to get fired at the end of the season.

Karma for Doug. One would think he will be unemployed at this time next year. At least he will know the values of a good tarp.

I meant that this was a good move after it was clear he wasn't getting an HC job.

Doug has not been a part of any of those failing season. They may "clean house" but if Doug conducts himself well, I could see him as a front-runner for the job. Sorta like how 3rd year QB's start getting rookies in the wings to take over if they screw up.

I think If Marrone is just fired and doesnt work for Jags he has to pay NY tax on that. NY source income. @SportsTaxMan: coaches are subject to the #Jocktax

I am not an accountant, but I will throw my $.02 in:

If the coach and buyout clause are subject to the "jock tax", then the money is subject to NY income tax.

However, it could be possible the buyout clause is not considered a salary or wage (its reported as a 1099 income), and if DM gets paid this year (2015),

then it's quite possible it is NOT subject to NY income tax, assuming of course, he lives in a state that is not NY.

I took a swing by the Jags board, not one of the registered TBD commentors, but I am astonished at how happy they are with the hire. Really odd. I get being OK with it, I get being neutral, and try rose colored glasses, but they are all really happy about it with no negativity.

I credit it to they don't know much about football. Makes me appreciate this place more, even if I don't agree with all of you.

I took a swing by the Jags board, not one of the registered TBD commentors, but I am astonished at how happy they are with the hire. Really odd. I get being OK with it, I get being neutral, and try rose colored glasses, but they are all really happy about it with no negativity.

I credit it to they don't know much about football. Makes me appreciate this place more, even if I don't agree with all of you.

I think they see someone who was just a Head Coach now being able to focus all that skill onto just the OL. It was a "name" hire. Thats all they see. No one in Jacksonville follows the NFL closely enough to know all of Marrone's problems.

Do you know how many sacks the Bills took and the Jags took last season?