NYS Stadium study favors 4 sites (3 downtown)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and a very, VERY sterile atmosphere..

Exactly. I hated the old dome and the crappy conditions. The new dome looks like crap to begin with and you are correct, a sterile environment with no fun in the experience. I've been there often and parking within 3 blocks is upwards of $100 and out 5-7 blocks is more reasonable at $50+. If you take the Hiawatha train and park at the Mall of America or anywhere downstream for Minneapolis, it's only a few dollars to ride, but the trains are packed and full of gangstas and pickpockets.

No dome, Buffalo football is Buffalo weather. The Vikings lost something when they went to a dome, remember the purple people eaters on a cold, muddy field and a gray sky; come on that's football!

Exactly. I hated the old dome and the crappy conditions. The new dome looks like crap to begin with and you are correct, a sterile environment with no fun in the experience. I've been there often and parking within 3 blocks is upwards of $100 and out 5-7 blocks is more reasonable at $50+. If you take the Hiawatha train and park at the Mall of America or anywhere downstream for Minneapolis, it's only a few dollars to ride, but the trains are packed and full of gangstas and pickpockets.

agree on both counts!.. and as i said in other posts regarding this, the frozen four will not be coming here every year, nor will the NCAA regionals.. WTH are you going to use a covered stadium for ?.

Edited by dwight in philly

That seems to make sense. They factor that stuff in all of the time on baseball diamonds because of when games usually start and where the sun will be.

Maybe the NFL has stipulations that if the sun is shining the stadium has to be able to be at least half sunlit during the games. Or something like that. Why build an outdoor stadium where there is no sunlight on the field in the middle of the afternoon.

Don't know but I'd venture a guess that it has to do with shadows from adjacent buildings that may project onto the field. The harbor center is tall and west of the proposed site, meaning it would project late afternoon shadows in the fall east onto the stadium. That's all I can come up with. Also could be the same issue southwest with the General Mills buildings.

thanks, I figured that it must be nearby buildings, but, difficult to see the pics clearly on my phone.

To my point earlier about ownership issues, here's the ownership of the Cobblestone site. 6 of the 15 parcels are easily acquired, the others are smaller and likely easily acquired as well. The other two sites have way more ownership issues and that becomes time consuming, costly, and offers the potential of protracted legal wrangling. And the use of eminent domain is in all likelihood a possibility.

It's very easy to state what site offers the best options from our perspectives but the complexities of design, infrastructure, land acquisition, environmental constraints, community input and blow back (I can already hear the preservationists whining about the cobblestone streets), oh yeah and cost make any suggestion of a selected site laughable. They may very well have a preferred site (the Pegulas) but that doesn't mean that's where it'll end up.

Any suggestion of removing the Perry Projects indicates a lack of an historical grasp of the failed promises and epic failure of urban renewal. Because this project will certainly require political intervention, either directly through subsidy, or through assistance in land acquisition, it's unlikely any politician would get behind it. Further, those projects were built with federal monies and don't you think the feds, who have the largest black eye from the so-called "federal bulldozer," will step into this and agree to let them be demolished and the residents relocated. I think that site was off the table from the get go.

post-1444-0-98280200-1421598549_thumb.png

@TheBuffaloNews: The states NFL stadium report favors four sites, three of which are in downtown Buffalo http://t.co/L2xOquSVnH http://t.co/bLLT2pcIkJ

I didn't know retrofitting the Ralph was still an option

It's only not an option from the NFL's perspective, not the States. I would assume keeping the Ralph in the discussions is a State bargaining chip. They're showing the public as well as the Pegulas that a brand new downtown stadium will cost quite a bit more, so if the Pegulas would like a new stadium they'd probably have to chip in more. Smart move in my opinion.

It's only not an option from the NFL's perspective, not the States. I would assume keeping the Ralph in the discussions is a State bargaining chip. They're showing the public as well as the Pegulas that a brand new downtown stadium will cost quite a bit more, so if the Pegulas would like a new stadium they'd probably have to chip in more. Smart move in my opinion.

Ok that's what I remember then. The NFL was not open to it. Is it because they don't like the amount of tailgating? Just thinking about KC, GB who did the retrofit successfully.

FTR I'm in favor of the brand new downtown stadium.

To my point earlier about ownership issues, here's the ownership of the Cobblestone site. 6 of the 15 parcels are easily acquired, the others are smaller and likely easily acquired as well. The other two sites have way more ownership issues and that becomes time consuming, costly, and offers the potential of protracted legal wrangling. And the use of eminent domain is in all likelihood a possibility.

It's very easy to state what site offers the best options from our perspectives but the complexities of design, infrastructure, land acquisition, environmental constraints, community input and blow back (I can already hear the preservationists whining about the cobblestone streets), oh yeah and cost make any suggestion of a selected site laughable. They may very well have a preferred site (the Pegulas) but that doesn't mean that's where it'll end up.

Any suggestion of removing the Perry Projects indicates a lack of an historical grasp of the failed promises and epic failure of urban renewal. Because this project will certainly require political intervention, either directly through subsidy, or through assistance in land acquisition, it's unlikely any politician would get behind it. Further, those projects were built with federal monies and don't you think the feds, who have the largest black eye from the so-called "federal bulldozer," will step into this and agree to let them be demolished and the residents relocated. I think that site was off the table from the get go.

Regarding the Perry Projects, plans are apparently underway. No matter your political affiliation, it's been proven that 1950's-1960's projects need to be torn down & rebuilt with different housing options.