Is "Ground and Pound" Obsolete?

Tolstoy

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck is twice as good it's not even close.

Halfway through second: 0 comps and 2 picks.

Tell me more.

I'm not disagreeing but singling out a single half of football and not looking at an entire body of work isn't the greatest way of comparing players.

I'm not disagreeing but singling out a single half of football and not looking at an entire body of work isn't the greatest way of comparing players.

And I won't argue with that.

But 1 for 8 with three picks through nearly an entire half of football doesn't appear on the resumes of any QB in the top 4 in the NFL, and it certainly doesn't appear anywhere on Luck's.

And I won't argue with that.

But 1 for 8 with three picks through nearly an entire half of football doesn't appear on the resumes of any QB in the top 4 in the NFL, and it certainly doesn't appear anywhere on Luck's.

Wilson is having a brutal game. I'd like to think all those games of having things fall their way has caught up to them. In terms of the Luck vs. Wilson thing I'd take Luck everyday. He's an elite QB capable of carrying a team whereas Wilson benefits from having talent around him.

Wilson is having a brutal game. I'd like to think all those games of having things fall their way has caught up to them. In terms of the Luck vs. Wilson thing I'd take Luck everyday. He's an elite QB capable of carrying a team whereas Wilson benefits from having talent around him.

Don't pin it all on Wilson. The Packers' secondary is suffocating Seattle's receivers.

You can argue "ground and pound" vs. "vertical passing game" all you'd like...neither one works against a defense as well-prepared as the Packers are today.

I wouldn't say Wilson has talent around him besides Lynch. Look at their receiving core. He benefits from a very good defense and an offense designed not to highlight Wilsons weakness and play to his strengths.

Don't pin it all on Wilson. The Packers' secondary is suffocating Seattle's receivers.

You can argue "ground and pound" vs. "vertical passing game" all you'd like...neither one works against a defense as well-prepared as the Packers are today.

By no means am I trying to put it all on Wilson.

I wouldn't say Wilson has talent around him besides Lynch. Look at their receiving core. He benefits from a very good defense and an offense designed not to highlight Wilsons weakness and play to his strengths.

Fair enough. Edited by Bangarang

^This, plus Seattle really has no dominant receiver that is going to scare you like a Sammy Watkins would when their run game is being stifled...they rely on teams loading up against the run to hit receivers against man coverage, but the Pack has two really good corners that can basically cover their guys one on one all day long, so its not as effective...

Edited by matter2003

Strong defense + ground game + smart qb that protects the ball but can make timely plays = Seattle seahawks = super bowl

Strong defense + ground game + smart QB that protects the ball but makes timely plays = Buffalo Bills = Super Bowl ...

OK i can dream can't I ? Well we got the D & we have good RB's + good ST's play , so we just need a smart QB that protects the ball ...

Yes and I think now is the perfect time to implement it. Football schemes go in and out of style based on how many teams are using it. Once so many teams adopt the same style that style becomes easier to defend as you prepare for it all the time. The historical response for NFL teams is either to reinvent or rewind. Right now teams are building defensive rosters more suitable for stopping the pass. It's inevitable some teams will eventually break away from this pass happy approach. With that, you generally hear coaches reference strong defense. It's just an all around physical style that isn't the norm right now for NFL teams. We seem like we could be one of the potential drastic teams to play this way. I think it's silly we haven't seen it sooner as these teams can go deep and you don't need an elite QB and as we know very few elite QB's exist.

My apologies if this has been said in another post, but the article linked below was just published in the NY Times today (Sunday, Jan. 18).

Like most everyone else, I think the hiring of Ryan and Roman was an excellent move by the Bills. One thing I worry about is the "ground and pound" philosophy that Ryan and Roman want to bring. Does that approach win anymore? I hope that it does and could, but suspect that it is outdated by rule changes in the NFL. This NY Times article shows the statistics, all brought about by new rules meant to protect the QB and WR: 9 QB's had 30 or more touchdowns this year. NINE!!!!. Compare that to ZERO in 2002, and ONE in 2003, 2005, and 2006.

As the article suggests, isn't a passing offense with an elite QB now a necessary (though not sufficient) condition for winning a championship? If so, why bother building a team for a running game, if you simply can't win a Superbowl with this mentality? Sure, we can be competitive, and make the playoffs, but we will ultimately be outscored by a team with a good defense and an high-octane passing offense. Witness the remaining teams in the playoffs.

If all this is true, then the Bills and every other team should pull out all the stops to developing a high-octane passing offense. "Ground and pound" (at least the "ground" part) won't win anymore, and I am a bit worried that the Bills are setting themselves up for failure.

Not sure which remaining teams in the playoff are identified as "High Octane"? Please clarify?

Just because these teams have great QB'ing neither have a high octane passing attack offensively (maybe GB). Each has a balanced attacking offense, IMO...NE & GB will go uptempo but that's usually when they have a favorable match up.

My apologies if this has been said in another post, but the article linked below was just published in the NY Times today (Sunday, Jan. 18).

Like most everyone else, I think the hiring of Ryan and Roman was an excellent move by the Bills. One thing I worry about is the "ground and pound" philosophy that Ryan and Roman want to bring. Does that approach win anymore? I hope that it does and could, but suspect that it is outdated by rule changes in the NFL. This NY Times article shows the statistics, all brought about by new rules meant to protect the QB and WR: 9 QB's had 30 or more touchdowns this year. NINE!!!!. Compare that to ZERO in 2002, and ONE in 2003, 2005, and 2006.

As the article suggests, isn't a passing offense with an elite QB now a necessary (though not sufficient) condition for winning a championship? If so, why bother building a team for a running game, if you simply can't win a Superbowl with this mentality? Sure, we can be competitive, and make the playoffs, but we will ultimately be outscored by a team with a good defense and an high-octane passing offense. Witness the remaining teams in the playoffs.

If all this is true, then the Bills and every other team should pull out all the stops to developing a high-octane passing offense. "Ground and pound" (at least the "ground" part) won't win anymore, and I am a bit worried that the Bills are setting themselves up for failure.

Seattle

And yet the last three Super Bowls winners have been...

A Giants team that backed into the playoffs, and won with a strong run game led by Ahmad Bradshaw along with a dominating defense

A Ravens team that backed into the playoffs, and won with a strong run game led by Ray Rice along with a dominating defense (playing against the 49ers who were led by a dominating run game and defense)

The Seahawks with a running game led by Marshawn Lynch along with a dominating defense.

The trick seems to be getting to the playoffs...THEN, those two features make you a force to be reckoned with

sort of. Lynch only had 39 yards on 15 carries in the superbowl last year. he was awful. they won in spite of the thug.

They have Tom Brady. They can switch it up much easier. We have............?

OK...Obviously...So?

I was not commenting on the Bills QB situation...I was commenting on the type of Offenses that win Championships in the NFL...

We don't have Wilson, Luck, Manning, or Rogers either...Heck we don't even have Romo, Big Ben, or Flacco...So let's obsess about that further...It's hardly ever done around here... ;)

I mean...I get it...We all get it...I think we can all safely assume that until the Bills get a QB that can challenge Defenses they are not going to win the SB...It's a given... B-)