Is "Ground and Pound" Obsolete?

Tolstoy

After almost every game this past season people would post on this forum that the pass to run ratio was all wrong for the Bills. Too many passes, not enough runs (sometimes approaching 2 to 1). Putting the game in the hands of a second/third rate QB. Not letting the large and non-agile lineman just plow ahead and run block. If the next approach is to reverse this ratio and have a "game manager" approach for a QB, that seems logical to me.

If and when the Bills get a first rate QB, then the passing game can be more of an option.

I think the new coaching staff knows they don't have a first rate QB on the roster, and trading or drafting for one is not a safe bet, so featuring the run game is the only logical thing to do.

The reason that ration was 2 to 1 is because they simply couldn't run the ball effectively as those large and non-agile lineman couldn't poke a hole through wet tissue paper. All the good things that can happen when you run the ball such as resting your defense, shortening the game, reducing turn overs, etc. only happen if you run the ball effectively. If you can't and yet insist on running all the time anyway, all you are likely to achieve is to make your punter the team MVP.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as everyone starts to design defenses to combat high octane pass attacks the ground and pound will definitely be successful IMO

Still need a Solid QB no matter what, because without some threat of an air attack 8 in the box counters a run game

Yeah, He played a horrible game.

Helluva finish. But a horrible, horrible game.

Yeah, Wilson did his best Peyton Manning imitation and sucked in the first half. But, he pulled it out as only the great ones do. Have you checked Wilson's W/L record against the top QB's in the league?

Luck, however, sucked all game long and ended up with just 126 passing yards, no touchdowns and a career-low passer rating of 23.0.

On why 6 of the 7 new head coaches this offseason are defensive coaches: “I don’t know the answer,” said Bill Parcells, the former coach who has served this month as a sounding board for several teams looking to hire. “But when all is said and done, I think the ability to stand up in front of a room and command attention is important. I do think there is one important thing that defensive coaches realize. They all have an appreciation for running the ball, and we might be getting to a point where we’ll see a little more of that. The defensive coaches know that running the ball will demoralize an opponent before anything else. So I think they might have more of an appreciation for the running game than some offensive coaches.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/19/nfl-conference-championship-seahawks-patriots-super-bowl/8/

Yeah, Wilson did his best Peyton Manning imitation and sucked in the first half. But, he pulled it out as only the great ones do. Have you checked Wilson's W/L record against the top QB's in the league?

Luck, however, sucked all game long and ended up with just 126 passing yards, no touchdowns and a career-low passer rating of 23.0.

Pulled it out? He made three impact throws, one of which was a HORRIBLE decision and should been batted down and/or picked (the two point conversion).

Then he made two beautiful throws in over time. You won't convince me that, on the whole, his was a great performance.

Russel Wilson did not win yesterday's football game.

The Green Bay Packers lost it.

Pulled it out? He made three impact throws, one of which was a HORRIBLE decision and should been batted down and/or picked (the two point conversion).

Then he made two beautiful throws in over time. You won't convince me that, on the whole, his was a great performance.Russel Wilson did not win yesterday's football game.

The Green Bay Packers lost it.

The 2 pt pass was not a horrible throw - it was a desperation throw because he had no play on his side of the field. He had to throw it because it's a one-shot play, and there is no penalty for throwing a pick on a conversion.

"throw to score, run to win" ~ Ron Erhardt

if an opponent's D line cannot win their individual battles with an O line, the opponent will bring secondary defenders in to help.

when they do, 'play action pass' plays will get receivers behind those defenders.

standard play action requires the line to sell the run.

"a very wise coach once told me,"if you really want play action, you better pull a guard" ~ Greg Roman

so what if the opponent's sharp enough to identify a 'key' for his secondary defenders that keeps them from biting? you run some 'play option pass' at them.

the entire line blocks for the called run, but the QB has the option of pulling the hand-off back and hitting a quick pass behind the secondary defenders.

if they read 'play action pass' and don't bite - give it to the RB. this can also turn the 'read option' into a triple option play.

everything spins off an effective O line.

"I think I kinda want it" ~ Dewey Cox

Edited by BackInDaDay

On why 6 of the 7 new head coaches this offseason are defensive coaches: “I don’t know the answer,” said Bill Parcells, the former coach who has served this month as a sounding board for several teams looking to hire. “But when all is said and done, I think the ability to stand up in front of a room and command attention is important. I do think there is one important thing that defensive coaches realize. They all have an appreciation for running the ball, and we might be getting to a point where we’ll see a little more of that. The defensive coaches know that running the ball will demoralize an opponent before anything else. So I think they might have more of an appreciation for the running game than some offensive coaches.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/19/nfl-conference-championship-seahawks-patriots-super-bowl/8/

Interesting thoughts. I wonder if teams haven't started to become so focused on stopping the pass both through personnel and tactics, that contrary tactics like running the ball and being physical upfront are improving options.

Pneumonic, on 19 Jan 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:snapback.png

Wilson played with 21 other guys helping him out. Luck was out there alone.

Wilson had 4 INT's so for much of the game he also sucked!

Luck was of on every deep ball I saw him throw in the up to the early 3rd QTR, then I turned the game off knowing it was game over.

Wilson had 4 INT's so for much of the game he also sucked!

Luck was of on every deep ball I saw him throw in the up to the early 3rd QTR, then I turned the game off knowing it was game over.

Wilson was terrible for most of the game and money when it counted.

He stil has way more help thank Luck and was playing at home.

The 2 pt pass was not a horrible throw - it was a desperation throw because he had no play on his side of the field. He had to throw it because it's a one-shot play, and there is no penalty for throwing a pick on a conversion.

Right, it was a desperation throw. I give him credit for escaping the rush and getting the ball to an area his receiver could catch it. Wilson did a number of things right on that play; however, there is nothing he did that caused the defensive back to play that pass so poorly - and It doesn't take away the fact that it should never have been a completion.

Wilson was terrible for most of the game and money when it counted.

He stil has way more help thank Luck and was playing at home.

I am not arguing differently.

That is why I posted what I did in the other thread. Luck needs more help or he will end up being considered "another playoff" choker.

The question is......would green bay have lost if they had OUR defense......and Lacy

I couldn't help thinking that Buffalo could have beaten a lot of these playoff teams. Bills have been fun to watch this year. Going to fun seeing the offense get their act together next year.

Yea, no way GB loses with our D.

The most prolific passing teams in history have not won a superbowl. The most prolific defenses have won every time.

2001 rams (greatest show on turf), undefeated patriots team, Manning's broncos all lost.

85 Bears, 2000 ravens, 2002 Buccaneers Won.

If you have a mediocre offense but your D limits Peyton Manning and Brady to 10 points you win...