Rex on EJ: "I'd like to see him use his legs more."

johnwalter

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It already demonstrates the differences between Marrone's staff and Rex's. It's pretty obvious that after the injuries Marrone and Hackett told EJ to not run it. I'd really like something in between. Something like Rogers or Luck. If it's not there run it. They'll get 15-30 yards a game in scrambles but it's not a staple of their O.

I agree. He only needs to run when he has to, not as a regular part of the offense. I'd rather see him use his legs to extend the play and get the ball to one of the playmakers downfield, and if it's not there, then run and be safe.

"I know EJ is somebody that we looked at when he came out. I think the entire league did. I feel like he has a lot of traits that you look for in a quarterback. He's smart, he's dedicated. I think he has movement skills. I'd like to see him use his legs more than he has. Sometimes, just like we mentioned through coaching and even playing quarterback, I think a little more experience the better you are going to be. The more comfortable you are going to be. He'll certainly be given an opportunity here."

I thought this was by far the most interesting/revealing thing Rex said at his introductory presser. Does this, plus the Roman hiring, indicate that Buffalo will be running a full-blown, read-option offense next season?

EJ isn't going to be Vick, RG3, Newton or even Wilson...and he doesn't need to be. He needs to be like Young or Brunell, a QB who can beat you with you his legs when he needs to or wants to, but it isn't looking run first. I think Rex sees that he's a big guy who can move and the threat of that will make it harder to game plan against and defend against.

It already demonstrates the differences between Marrone's staff and Rex's. It's pretty obvious that after the injuries Marrone and Hackett told EJ to not run it. I'd really like something in between. Something like Rogers or Luck. If it's not there run it. They'll get 15-30 yards a game in scrambles but it's not a staple of their O.

One thing I've noticed is that Rodgers or Luck will evade a couple of defenders by timing a step up or sideways whilst continuing to look and focus downfield, which forces the LB and secondary to hold onto their coverage. In his rookie season where EJ was running more, what I saw is that he would use a spin move to evade, necessarily taking his eyes off developments downfield, and practically speaking ending the pass play. These always ended either in scrambles or dump-offs, thus telegraphing to the defense.

You gotta be mobile in the NFL these days.

Look at Aaron Rodgers.

Look at Andrew Luck.

Look at Russell Wilson.

These guys can deliver the ball from the pocket, but the thing that makes them so deadly is that they routinely get outside of the pocket and make plays both with the legs and with their arms while on the move.

Edited by Doug Flutie Band

i've always thought EJ had to get physically involved in the game to get his juices flowing, and there were others here who saw it, too.. even if it was running to the LOS in a 2 minute drill - he seems to gain focus as his sense of urgency increases. i'm thinking Rex has already gotten an ok to risk getting him moving as much as needed

You gotta be mobile in the NFL these days.

Look at Aaron Rodgers.

Look at Andrew Luck.

Look at Russell Wilson.

These guys can deliver the ball from the pocket, but the thing that makes them so deadly is that they routinely get outside of the pocket and make plays both with the legs and with their arms while on the move.

All good points - the skill that enables this deadliness being that they continue to focus downfield and look for a play until the point where they take off.

EJ needs to lose that spin move and watch a lot of film of how the guys you mention "get it done"

i've always thought EJ had to get physically involved in the game to get his juices flowing, and there were others here who saw it, too.. even if it was running to the LOS in a 2 minute drill - he seems to gain focus as his sense of urgency increases. i'm thinking Rex has already gotten an ok to risk getting him moving as much as needed

If there ever were a coach who could give EJ a sense of urgency from the first snap, Rex would be the one

I've been saying this for months. Out of the pocket EJ's skill set is no better than an average back up. What sets him apart is his size, speed, and strength. So if he's your QB those are talents you want to utilize.

Using him as a drop back pocket passer makes about as much sense as drafting a bunch of big, slow maulers for a zone blocking scheme.

True. Less risk.

To defend marrone, if in EJ's rookie year, he had an Orton as his backup and not Thad/Tuel, I wonder if the coaches would have been less terrified of EJ getting injured.

EJ got more conservative after the Browns game, which he should have because he got injured being stupid. He probably took his coaching too much to heart.

After 2 injuries to the most important player on the roster, you're gonna want him to be more cautious. Hell, even most of the fans didn't want him running after last season.

I've been saying this for months. Out of the pocket EJ's skill set is no better than an average back up. What sets him apart is his size, speed, and strength. So if he's your QB those are talents you want to utilize.

Using him as a drop back pocket passer makes about as much sense as drafting a bunch of big, slow maulers for a zone blocking scheme.

2 for 2! 😊 and you bring up a great point about what's needed to get guys moving... if Roman wants to install his trap/counter/sweep running attack with a pinch of option, he and Rex and Whaley need to get athletic on the O line.. the current guys are probably gonna receive their off season conditioning and training instructions soon

True. Less risk.

To defend marrone, if in EJ's rookie year, he had an Orton as his backup and not Thad/Tuel, I wonder if the coaches would have been less terrified of EJ getting injured.

IF Maroon hadn't thrown a rookie head first into that fast paced hurry up offense (then scrapped it) the results may have been better

EJ got more conservative after the Browns game, which he should have because he got injured being stupid. He probably took his coaching too much to heart.

After 2 injuries to the most important player on the roster, you're gonna want him to be more cautious. Hell, even most of the fans didn't want him running after last season.

OR he got injured is retaliation for the Bills taking out their QB.