Will Rex's defense work in Buffalo

ganesh

First they found Rambo, now they hired Colonel Troutman. I don't see a problem. I see Hollywood. This defense will be nasty next year. Bradham blitzing sounds like Action Jackson.

God didn't make Rambo. I did.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would the best defensive mind in football's defense work in Buffalo?

If you say something enough times it has to be true, right?

IMO, 'group think' is beginning to overwhelm valid discussion of the issues the Bills face in matching their personnel to Rex's style of play.

For example, Gilmore's a very good corner, but IMO his man-to-man coverage skills and instincts are nowhere near those of Revis. He'll have to take it to another level next year in terms of consistency if he's going to be put out on an island.

IMO, 'group think' is beginning to overwhelm valid discussion of the issues the Bills face in matching their personnel to Rex's style of play.

For example, Gilmore's a very good corner, but IMO his man-to-man coverage skills and instincts are nowhere near those of Revis. He'll have to take it to another level next year in terms of consistency if he's going to be put out on an island.

When he's guarding the #2 receiver and Revis is locking up the 1 it won't be an issue :thumbsup:

It is well documented back to his college days that Gilmore's at his best when he can play press man coverage, which Rex uses almost exclusively. That is where Gilmore had his advantage due to his size and strength. He struggles when playing off the line or in a zone. Edited by JM57

It is well documented back to his college days that Gilmore's at his best when he can play press man coverage, which Rex uses almost exclusively. That is where Gilmore had his advantage due to his size and strength. He struggles when playing off the line or in a zone.

Yes, with his size he's effective if he can get a jam at the line, but his ability to play in space after the first five yards is questionable, IMO. He's not that fluid in turning his hips and his instincts are only average. He always seems to be in a trail position, rather than fighting for the ball.

Being in and out of the lineup so much may have influenced that, so a full healthy season would be vitally important in 2015. He needs to be able to break on the ball like he did in the Green Bay game (and dropped the pick six) more consistently.

Yea Revis is staying in New England anyhow. After years of making do on defense Belichick isn't going to let Revis walk after seeing what having two top level NFL corners can do for his team.

Revis is scheduled to be paid $25M in 2015. So either NE pays the $25M, renegotiates the deal, or voids the contract, thereby sending Revis to free agency.

And rumor has it that both Rex and Revis are open to entertain a reunion. So while I don't expect Revis to be on the Bills opening day defense I also wouldn't say there's no chance of it.

Rex's defensive scheme is not "predicated on disguised blitzes." Disguised blitzes are part of his repertoire but hardly the whole package. The more tools in the woodshed, the better off you are - and Rex has a big woodshed.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think that in Rex's 10 or so years as a DC for the Ravens and HC for the Jets, his defense has never ranked lower than 6th despite a variety of personnel coming and going.

I'm confident Rex's defensive ideas will work here as well.

Rex's defensive scheme is not "predicated on disguised blitzes." Disguised blitzes are part of his repertoire but hardly the whole package. The more tools in the woodshed, the better off you are - and Rex has a big woodshed.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think that in Rex's 10 or so years as a DC for the Ravens and HC for the Jets, his defense has never ranked lower than 6th despite a variety of personnel coming and going.

I'm confident Rex's defensive ideas will work here as well.

Exactly. I have me reservations, mostly about his leadership skills. But from a strictly football standpoint, the dude knows his X's and O's better than anybody.

Rex's defense is predicated on disguised blitzes. In order to run that scheme effectively, they need a extremely talented secondar. Rex was successful when Revis played along with Cromartie. Do the Bills have equivalent backfield to execute his schemes successfully. Gilmore and Leodis are OK cornerbacks, nothing remotely close to Revis and Cromartie. Pettine had a good defense here because he had Byrd in Center Field and Kiko at the MLB position. In spite of that it was the 28th worst running game.

Schwartz fixed the run-stopping and played some solid defense. How can Rex coach this team to its strength. I almost feel he might try to fit a square peg into a round hole.

1, 3, 5, 8, 11, 6

They are the Jets defensive rankings for Rex's six years, and the talent on this Bills defense is better than any of those Jets teams.

There is good reason that Rex was salivating when he spoke about the talent on his new team.

1, 3, 5, 8, 11, 6

They are the Jets defensive rankings for Rex's six years, and the talent on this Bills defense is better than any of those Jets teams.

There is good reason that Rex was salivating when he spoke about the talent on his new team.

Wow, they were 6 last year?!?!?! That actually surprises me.

One big thing to consider here.......

One of the big reasons of run stop problem was linebackers in Pettine's scheme........

Enter Preston Brown and either Spikes OR David Harris (who we all know is a VERY good run stopper

Now add the fact that Kiko Alonzo returns...not as a run stop middle linebacker where he struggled at times to go along with his playmaking ability....now he moves to his natural outside position

Now....add the fact that REX RYAN's version of this defense has historically been very good against to run

The one thing this team will be able to count on is its defense....the unknown is the offense

One of the big reasons of run stop problem was linebackers in Pettine's scheme........

Another was the offense guessing "right" when pressure was coming from the back side or a stunt and running away from it.

Better LB play may help that this year, but it's still a numbers game between blockers and defenders. I personally liked Schwartz's scheme better because it kept the running lanes occupied and forced the OL to beat the guy in front of him (which was a tall order)...

Lurker,

While I also liked Schwartz defense it is what it is

The fact is Rex Ryan (with lesser talent) has had defenses that have also been tough against the run.

One thing I would add....and this is not a huge deal in the big scheme of things......I noticed that when Schwartz D did NOT get their with its down linemen....and the QB had time? QBs would carve us up.

and yes.....guys like Manning and Rogers had like career low days....but guys like Carr did

The defense...while dominant most of the time.....was certainly not perfect.

And yes....our offense needed to help us out on those days...but did not....and that is why we missed the playoffs.