Rex Ryan Press Conference

moshermw

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't like this bully stuff. Neither Ryan nor the Bills have proven anything. The last thing we need is to give other teams a reason to want to shut us up.

We need to walk before we run. These theatrics took the Jets somewhere the first two years, but then they almost became a joke because of his behavior.

Good for spotlight, bad for a team trying to establish itself

There is one theory that the reason the Jets stopped going anywhere after 2 years, is that the FO mortgaged their salary cap to bring in FA talent, then couldn't draft well enough to backfill the talent. I am the most casual and occasional of college football watchers and have not been following the Jets drafts and other personnel moves to be able to prove.

One measure will be what the Jets do next year, and how much roster turnover they need to do it

yet he hired a RUN FIRST OC

or did that slip your mind.

Please don't feed the trolls

The differences between Marrone and Rex are huge.

And yes, Rex is a great motivator, charismatic, and probably a good leader. I can see why his players always have his back.

Will any of that actually translate into what we are looking for in Buffalo?

I'm not sure; time will tell.

All the positive mojo emanating from this PC didn't help the Jets in the last few years, that is for sure.

Of course, it's not all about 1 component and why a football team is successful or not is based on many variables.

That was one of my thoughts reading the press conference transcript - I'm thinking Rex must have really spun the record in NYC as the result of GM/FO and coach not pulling the same way, hence the big emphasis on unity and lock-step and everyone pulling the same way here, like saying "this is why it will be different for me here".

I don't like this bully stuff. Neither Ryan nor the Bills have proven anything. The last thing we need is to give other teams a reason to want to shut us up.

We need to walk before we run. These theatrics took the Jets somewhere the first two years, but then they almost became a joke because of his behavior.

Good for spotlight, bad for a team trying to establish itself

Let's be honest here, you've already made up your mind about Rex with your "The Bills took a step back..." thread, there was no way this PC was going to change your mind.

What does being proven have to do with being a bully? Why do they have to prove themselves first, to be bullies? He's talking about not getting pushed around, not being the brunt of jokes. That's not theatrics, that's Rex establishing the identity of the team. This is what the Bills will be. Is it a bit in your face? Sure, but that's Rex Ryan, he's a confident guy. He's confident in his ablility and in himself.

There is one theory that the reason the Jets stopped going anywhere after 2 years, is that the FO mortgaged their salary cap to bring in FA talent, then couldn't draft well enough to backfill the talent. I am the most casual and occasional of college football watchers and have not been following the Jets drafts and other personnel moves to be able to prove.

One measure will be what the Jets do next year, and how much roster turnover they need to do it

Please don't feed the trolls

I live in the NYC area and Isik was considered the issue. They let go of a lot of their talent especially on offensive line and never replaced them. Also they were using free agents at skill positions that didn't pan out and didn't draft to fill those positions. Unlike the Bills they are very weak at receiver and running back and letting go of Revis was a mistake. DB is also a glaring position of weakness for them, so while both teams need a QB, the Jests need everything else as well except D line.

If the Bills can somehow find a QB in this draft that the talking heads are not clued in on then maybe the Bills have a chance. I still say draft 3 QBs in this year's draft, bring a couple FAs or trade for a QB and then go after quards and DBs in FA and in draft.

Transcript of Introductory Press Conference with Bills:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/01/14/transcript-rex-ryans-introductory-press-conference/

Transcript of Introductory Press Conference with Jets:

http://nypost.com/2009/01/22/rex-ryan-transcript/

Why would he change his stripes? Did he not back up his words in the first two years?

Last four years should definitely be questioned, but I'm firmly in the camp that the talent had declined significantly over those years. All I need to do is go back to 2013 season, where the Jets were among the worst in the league on paper. Yet they got to 8-8, when Bills had a better team on paper and won 6.

If Rex still believes ground and pound is the way to go, he's an idiot.

I assure you he's no idiot, and the "ground and pound" philosophy got the 49ers to a Super Bowl and three NFC Championship games recently. The Seahawks also employ this philosophy to a large degree.

Thanks for your contribution, though.

I assure you he's no idiot, and the "ground and pound" philosophy got the 49ers to a Super Bowl and three NFC Championship games recently. The Seahawks also employ this philosophy to a large degree.

Thanks for your contribution, though.

One of my favorite quotes of the press conference was when he said, "But we're still going to throw the ball. We have Sammy Watkins! Who wouldn't throw the ball to Sammy Watkins?!"

Ummmmm... Doug Marrone?

I thought that was one of 3-4 shots he took at Marrone. He's a shrewd mofo.

If Rex still believes ground and pound is the way to go, he's an idiot.

NFL schemes are cyclical, as the offenses and defenses around the league adapt to one another. The short passing game from spread formations has been in vogue for nearly a decade, but there are an increasing number of teams that are now built to counter that with larger CBs, lighter/faster OLBs, etc. But many of those adaptations are actually a disadvantage against the run. Eventually some team will succeed with a "revolutionary" power running attack simply because so many defenses around the league are built to counter something else. Then other people will copy that offense, defenses will gradually adapt to it, and the cycle will continue.