I'm sorry, but I think we took a big step back

Virgil

In brief, the Bills hire a new coach who guided the Jets to a record of 4-12 last year and everyone seems to be ecstatic.

The Bills lose their defensive coordinator (the truly bright spot on the team) who guided the defense to a top 5 finish and nobody seems bothered.

The Bills keep their GM, who I believe made one of the worst trades in Bills history, and everybody seems to be thrilled.

The Bills are on the verge of hiring an offensive coordinator from SF whose offenses ranked 25th and 24th over the last two seasons in points scored and everybody seems excited and optimistic.

If I was a fan of the Pats,Dolphins and Jets, I would be very pleased with the moves the Bills have made. Unfortunately, as a lifelong Bills fan, the moves made by the current owners and GM have been very questionable to be generous.

I guess Bills fans are so starved for success that any change is seen as positive even when the objective evidence contradicts their hopes and beliefs. Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

That is a extremely short sighted view....which is actually on par for you so.........

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Bills keep their GM, who I believe made one of the worst trades in Bills history, and everybody seems to be thrilled.

Trading Lamonica to the Raiders was the worst. Trading Lynch to the Seahawks is looking worse and worse.

The Watkins trade up? Not even close. First Watkins is not a bust, far from it. He'll be a #1 WR in this league for years. The Bills swapped 1st rounders last year and give up a 1 and a 4 this year.

The moaning and groaning here about surrendering the 2015 1st rounder is based on the premise that the team somehow gave up a pick that could have been a 'franchise QB'. Fact is there's no slam dunk franchise QB is available in this coming draft at the 19th spot. There's two top prospects and after that the talent level drops to 3rd/4th round territory.

Then there's the hypothetical debate about how things would have turned out if they kept the 9th slot and drafted somebody else (i.e. Beckham). Anybody can back-test the draft, second guess any teams picks, and select top performers with the help of hindsight.

In total, I think Whaley's done more to add solid players to this roster through the draft, trades, free agency, and waiver pick ups, than any front office guy since things started rolling downhill after the 1999 season. Look at those drafts and the only one I see that had more hits than strikeouts was the 2001 draft. Is he perfect? No, but nobody is in this business. I expect Whaley and the front office will have another productive off season and that along with upgrades in the coaching ranks is going to propell this team forward.

It's not about an offensive minded coach. It's about performance. Rex Ryan's performance recently has been terrible. He had two good years and that was about it. Unless you can tell me that he had no say whatsoever in player selection, he owns the production too.

As for the OC, you have to take the bad with the good. Looking at Kaep's first two years seems unfair without looking at his past year as well. As bad as Kaep was, does anyone think that EJ is any better?

We are giving him equal quality receivers, a worse QB, and a worse offensive line. With that, why would we expect a different result than what they did last year in San Fran?

So yeah, I just don't see a reason to be optimistic. Yes, I would have been happier promoting Schwartz and bringing in Trestman.

It's not about an offensive minded coach. It's about performance. Rex Ryan's performance recently has been terrible. He had two good years and that was about it. Unless you can tell me that he had no say whatsoever in player selection, he owns the production too.

As for the OC, you have to take the bad with the good. Looking at Kaep's first two years seems unfair without looking at his past year as well. As bad as Kaep was, does anyone think that EJ is any better?

We are giving him equal quality receivers, a worse QB, and a worse offensive line. With that, why would we expect a different result than what they did last year in San Fran?

So yeah, I just don't see a reason to be optimistic. Yes, I would have been happier promoting Schwartz and bringing in Trestman.

LOL at your signature I guess?

I will be following the decisions made by the organization with optimism until further notice. I apologize for the inconvenience

Your logic does not make walking around sense. You don't like RR because he was not that good at NYJ as he was 46-48. But you'd like Schwartz whose record in Detroit was 29-52, a .358 winning percentage. Double standard? I mean it's OK not to like the RR hire, but your thinking is baffling.

Your logic does not make walking around sense. You don't like RR because he was not that good at NYJ as he was 46-48. But you'd like Schwartz whose record in Detroit was 29-52, a .358 winning percentage. Double standard? I mean it's OK not to like the RR hire, but your thinking is baffling.

Rex took over a 9-7 team. Schwartz took over the worst team in NFL history at 0-16. I don't if win percentage is an accurate comparison.

Rex took over a 9-7 team. Schwartz took over the worst team in NFL history at 0-16. I don't if win percentage is an accurate comparison.

Then how do you measure coaches-- by height? If Schwartz was so good, why not any HC interviews after a great year as DC. I guess there are no facts anymore, just spin. Add to that Ryan got Sanchez as his QB instead of Favre in his first year, and Schwartz went from Orlovsky to Stafford and still went 2-14.

Edited by Casey D

Then how do you measure coaches-- by height? If Schwartz was so good, why not any HC interviews after a great year as DC. I guess there are no facts anymore, just spin. Add to that Ryan got Sanchez as his QB instead of Favre in his first year, and Schwartz went from Orlovsky to Stafford and still went 2-14.

Didn't say Schwartz was "so good."

Do you think the only thing holding back the worst team in NFL history was the QB?

Bring the tears and the doom !

Lol at all of you, keep acting like you know how this will play out.

Rex had them within a play of beating the pats twice and the packers with ole geno smith and half a wideout on the roster.

All hail rex ! Kool aid even tastes great in the winter. Woooooo

Didn't say Schwartz was "so good."

Do you think the only thing holding back the worst team in NFL history was the QB?

I don't really understand your point then. If all you are saying is that a team's record is not the only reflection on how well a coach is doing, I think that is obviously true. If you are saying that JS's record in Detroit was not his fault completely, OK, so what. He was there five years and never did much-- the OP's point was that he'd rather have Schwartz than RR because RR did not do much in NY. That makes no sense.

I don't really understand your point then. If all you are saying is that a team's record is not the only reflection on how well a coach is doing, I think that is obviously true. If you are saying that JS's record in Detroit was not his fault completely, OK, so what. He was there five years and never did much-- the OP's point was that he'd rather have Schwartz than RR because RR did not do much in NY. That makes no sense.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

You said this. You don't like RR because he was not that good at NYJ as he was 46-48. But you'd like Schwartz whose record in Detroit was 29-52, a .358 winning percentage.

I just said comparing winning percentages ignores context a little bit and it may not be fair. Because you compared winning percentages.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

You said this. You don't like RR because he was not that good at NYJ as he was 46-48. But you'd like Schwartz whose record in Detroit was 29-52, a .358 winning percentage.

I just said comparing winning percentages ignores context a little bit and it may not be fair. Because you compared winning percentages.

OK-- but then your implication is that when adjusting for these other factors, JS's record in Detroit was somehow better than RR's in NY, because the OP likes JS but not RR based on RR's performance in NY. If that is your suggestion, I don't agree. I don't think JS's record as a head coach is good even accounting for circumstances as you suggest. And Ryan went to two AFC championship games, and Schwartz had one one and done playoff exeperience. I agree record is not the only thing--but it is the main thing in pro sports--but that seems like a pimple on a dog's as@, not a very meaningful data point in comparing RR and JS.

Now that it's (seemingly) official that Schwartz is out, I look at the hire this way:

We have the same strengths and weaknesses on the roster we had when Marrone and Schwartz were in charge of the O and D respectively, only now we have a better defensive mind running the show which is the strength of the team. Any new offensive scheme is going to be an upgrade over what Marrone was running, so even though we're still left with the same questions we had with Marrone (QB, OL, offensive identity) Rex >>> Marrone/Schwartz.

Time will tell, but I think the hire was the safest way to go, and could end up being a hit.

Let's see what Whaley does in the off season to address the holes, I have a feeling they're going to make some big moves.

Better defensive mind Ha,ha,ha. Yeah they looked REAL GOOD against us. Well everybody the last few years.

Question - who would you rather have? The only person I could see bringing would bowles. All the other coordinators have tremendous talent to work with and all would be 1st year head coaches. Difficult for 1st year guys to be successful with teams that are not already contendors.

Also - plenty of coaches who have been successful the second or even third time around - Carrol, Belacheat, Coughlin.

Why don't we hold judgement until next year at this time and see what we have.

Is it not fair to say that the poster who originally said he'd be happier with Schwartz might have been thinking that the continuity of staying with someone inside the organisation after a winning season was more of an advantage than a Head Coach with a marginally better track record?

Rain on the parade....

Rex also took the Jets to the championship game twice. He also had a GM that ran the talent into the ground.

Not making excuses for him as the situation Buffalo is a challenge.

I was just reading about Rex. After the early success with 9-7 and 11-5 seasons with wildcard berths and getting to the AFC Championship, the Jets began the 2011 season (Rex's third) with a 2-3 record leading to discontent within their clubhouse. Apparently, they deviated from the run heavy philosophy and began to pass more and the offense struggled. Hopefully he learned from this.