ESPN's Rich Cimini Blasts Bills/Ryan

Fadingpain

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So was Marrone. But it's a trade up... From a .469 coach to a .479 coach.

By the way belli was .427 before Tommy walzed into his life.

We also have this season really skewing Rexs numbers. The last two years it was as if the Jets front office was offering him as a sacrifice to the Old Gods.

Ryan's "blind spot" on offense has a lot to do with a lack of talent. Idzik was an awful GM.

But at least Rex hired a capable NFL OC for the Bills in Greg Roman (I'm warming up to this choice). Prior to joining the Bills, neither Hackett nor Doug Marrone himself had ever run a NFL offense. Despite the "OC" title in New Orleans, Marrone was a glorified OL coach there. To this date, neither Hackett nor Marrone has ever run a good offense at the NFL level. They've been proven inept both running and passing.

Roman at least has a track record of building good running attacks. His history with the passing game is less distinguished but Alex Smith finally bloomed as a QB under Roman's tutelage.

Rex is a great defensive coach. He's also a great motivator. Roman is a capable offensive coach. There may be better coaching staffs in the NFL but ours isn't bad. It may even be good. It's now Whaley's job to get Rex and Roman some offensive linemen and a QB.

Edited by hondo in seattle

True. The question now is "Do we try to salvage EJ now that he have a OC who had success with a player with a similar skillset?"

I think they are definitely going to try this route, along with a few others.

I am afraid we will develop a new scheme around EJ, work intensively with him in the off-season, blah blah...and then name him the starter for Game 1. And then after he fails we will be scrambling with a secondary option, again.

And in the meantime we will have dug a hole we can't climb out of, in terms of the playoffs. Again.

We need a better plan than "EJ will improve and we can give him a better scheme to enhance his strengths and minimize his weaknesses."

We need another QB.

Ryan's "blind spot" on offense has a lot to do with a lack of talent. Idzik was an awful GM.

But at least Rex hired a capable NFL OC for the Bills in Greg Roman (I'm warming up to this choice). Prior to joining the Bills, neither Hackett nor Doug Marrone himself had ever run a NFL offense. Despite the "OC" title in New Orleans, Marrone was a glorified OL coach there. To this date, neither Hackett nor Marrone has ever run a good offense at the NFL level. They've been proven inept both running and passing.

Roman at least has a track record of building good running attacks. His history with the passing game is less distinguished but Alex Smith finally bloomed as a QB under Roman's tutelage.

Rex is a great defensive coach. He's also a great motivator. Roman is a capable offensive coach. There may be better coaching staffs in the NFL but ours isn't bad. It may even be good. It's now Whaley's job to get Rex and Roman some offensive linemen and a QB.

Just to play devil's advocate, what's different about Roman's OC designation under Harbaugh compared to Marrone's under Payton?

This is well said and I don't disagree at all.

I don't care. It's nice to be relevant for the first time in a while.

I'm not saying Ryan is a good or bad hire, or that he will fail or succeed.

What I am saying is that I don't see how his hiring makes us "relevant".

He is a well known name and personality because he is a unique, outspoken character in an age of corporate bull **** speak, and because the Press adores him for this and has promoted him as a personality for years.

How that makes us "relevant" I am not sure.

Just to play devil's advocate, what's different about Roman's OC designation under Harbaugh compared to Marrone's under Payton?

That's a very valid question. Stories from the Bay Area seem to suggest Roman was more independent under Harbaugh than Marrone was under Payton. But it's impossible to know exactly how much of their offense was Harbaugh and how much was Roman.

Pettine did a credible job when he got out from under Rex's large shadow. Let's hope Roman does great things away from Harbaugh's shadow.

The thing about Roman is that he's been mentioned as a HC possibility for a couple years now. People in the NFL community seem to think highly of him. So I'm guessing he was not merely a figurehead in SF. But I don't know.

That's fair. Harbaugh seems like he is more of a head coach that is involved with everything on the team while PAyton seems concerned with just the offense. But it's fair. I think Roman was a playcaller where Marrone wasn't, correct?

Roman called most of the plays. It's been reported that a lot of the innovations that SF were his designs. Marrone didnt call plays. Payton said Marrone was a good coach but I don't know as if he added anything innovative, that's all Payton's offense.

I don't care what Cimini says. If he doesn't see Rex's strengths as a coach, I'm confused. Rex may be the best defensive coach around today. He had the bad fortune of working for guy who may have been the worst GM since Matt Millen. But Rex's stats on the defensive side of the ball shine nonetheless.

Can Rex and Whaley fix the offense? That's the million dollar question. We'll all speculate and argue but only time will tell.

Roman's record prior to 2014 was pretty good check it out. He runs/passes about 50/50. Hs teams average about 4.5 a carry. And, prior to this year season his teams had pretty efficient passing attacks. One thing of note his teams seem to be more of a big play passing attack off the play action. They avoid turnovers really well and rank near the top every year.

Oh lookie

ch Cimini (@RichCimini) | Twitter - Welcome to Twitter...

twitter.com/RichCimini Cached

The latest Tweets from Rich Cimini (@RichCimini). ESPN NFL Nation reporter Rich Cimini covers the New York Jets. He roots, often unabashedly, for the Syracuse Orange

I wonder if he's a Marrone fan?

If you didn't hear it live, go to WGR550.com and listen to the segment from Rich Cimini (ESPN NEW YORK) commenting on the Rex Ryan hire.

He was strong in his comments.

I am paraphrasing here, but among his comments:

Can't believe the Bills just paid $5.5 million per year for a career below .500 coach

Rex Ryan is who he is: a below .500 career coach

Of course, he wasn't a below .500 coach prior to the Jets' 4-12 season.

The other guy they interviewed from SI (Richard Deitsch) was full of praise.

Dietsch is a 'Buffalo guy'--- lived in WNY and worked in radio there. He always sings the praises of the region, FWIW.

I don't know how I feel about the Rex hiring. Cimini may end up being right about the whole situation.

But by all means blast away. I hope more sports pundits blast the move. Rex is the type of guy to use this stuff to motivate himself and the team. I think we can only benefit from this type of negativity in the media.