What are the Bills waiting for?

That "old school" thinking landed Doug Marrone. As pointed out, none of the spots have been filled. I'd rather they take their time and get it right for once.

Throw out BS, expect to get called on it.

as of saturday the number was twelve , and counting ? I expect a couple more yet as the playoffs unfold.

I agree. This is going to set a precedence as to how the new ownership is perceived going forward. Get it right, please !

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, BackInDaDay. I don't have a problem with the coaching search. I thought they pulled the trigger on Marrone way too fast and didn't talk to enough people. Baby Bear coaching search. This time I think they're bordering on talking to too many people - Papa Bear Coaching Search. But as long as we wind up with a good coach in the end, I don't care.

I do think there must be some truth in the viewpoint that the Pegulas are using this as a giant information-gathering session. If you're interviewing good people, you can learn a lot from the questions they ask. But there's also a viewpoint that if you know what you're looking for, you can quickly sort through candidates and just bring in 3-4.

I think either they want one or more people in the playoffs, or they're trying to figure out what they want.

i think they trust Whaley in refining the candidates based on a plan that he and ownership have developed. now its a matter of matching up the people to the plan... and picking brains may influence their plan. its a dynamic process, that is no longer prioritized by cost

Edited by BackInDaDay

I think it's obvious that the top coaches wanted are still in the playoffs. I'm sure the Bills have ranked their top 5 or so and are well aware Buffalo will not be their first choice. So, waiting for key candidates to become available, go after who they want starting with their #1 and go from there based on where these guys choose to take jobs. I expect at least a few hires after this weekends games and Kubiak will become a hot name if Ravens lose. BTW, I think Kubiak would be a great hire!

LMAO

if we hire a guy quickly the board would be filled with people complaining we didn't wait for the playoff contender candidates

AND if we wait for the playoff candidates its what are we waiting for, we're inept.

Better to wait then rush IMO.... the top candidates are coaching playoff teams right now....

In fact when was the last time the Bills waited till the playoffs were over, or waited on a playoff involved candidate before they hired a coach ? and how has that worked out for us recently ?

A part of me would love to see us put a stake in the ground and make the first hire. Unfortunately, the reality is that our probable top choices likely want to be elsewhere and we'll have to wait to see where things fall before getting "our" guy.

Or are still coaching.

No, but you implied they will.....

Target 5 maybe 10 guys like that and hire somebody, this interviewing of 20/30 guys is a waste IMO.

really why is it a waste... we've done it this way before. It netted us Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey and Maronne

Good read

Why Patience is a Virtue In The Buffalo Bills Coaching Search

http://billsmafia.com/2015/01/10/patience-virtue-buffalo-bills-coaching-search/

"Fire fast and hire slow" spot on.

Let's not forget that the Bills @ 9-7 are the only opening with a winning record the previous year. (Even with Marrone handcuffing the offense).

I also wonder the longer it takes maybe Schwartz rises to "keep continuity"?

We're no longer the last choice of those wanting a HC job.

Take your time TP. Just not too long please.

The strategy of interviewing as many candidates as possible is prudent as long as they hire the right guy. Right guy to me means a HC whose single intent is getting into the playoffs and winning the Superbowl. Hiring the right guy will result in improvement in the areas that the Bills are weak in right now, QB, OL, and Running game. If the Bills improve in these areas and the Def remains strong we should go to the playoffs and do some damage. Getting into the payoffs and winning the superbowl should be the guiding premise for hiring a new HC .

I don't think they are waiting for anything, I think they are inept. Why interview 20/30 people? It's a waste of everybody's time. This isn't a rebuild job, it's a team on the cusp of winning. That said I don't think you want an inexperienced, would be first time head coach coming in here and learning on the job. This position right now needs an experienced coach to come in and hit the ground running, like a Rex Ryan. Target 5 maybe 10 guys like that and hire somebody, this interviewing of 20/30 guys is a waste IMO. He who hesitates is lost.

Hello everybody. I'm new to the board, but love what I've read so far. Great place to talk Bills football!

With all respect, I couldn't disagree more. By this theory, all teams who need a HC are at fault. Great, a fifth of the leagues teams are clueless.... Really?

The Bills job is coveted by any canidate that has any idea of what they are getting --

-A great defensive and DC if you want to keep him. Jjust play the Green Bay game on replay to hammer this point home. GB was looking to win that game, and Buffalo's defense destroyed the confidence of the league's MVP and by far the most hyped player this season.

-The most important thing - an owner who will write checks, and a GM who makes moves. Like it or not...the FO is going to try. Some Bills fans are scared of this because of the track record. But most fans like taking the risks it takes to improve the organization. A downtown, outdoor stadium that's striped down so that the fans actually watch the games and cheer for the Bills instead of being distracted by bars and restuarents would be ideal. Downtown stadiums aren't needed in NYC or LA, but it would be a benefit for the Bills. The Ralph is too old.

The quarterback and runningback situations are what they are. Every coach wants Aaron Rogers. But even then, it's supposed to be hard, not easy. If a coach is hesitant about taking the Bills' job, then he doesn't see all the good, only the bad, and therefore he's not a good fit for the job. OBD is doing the right thing so far, so let's give them what they deserve at this point- patience from us. We can prematurely blast them when this pick the next HC..

LMAO

if we hire a guy quickly the board would be filled with people complaining we didn't wait for the playoff contender candidates

AND if we wait for the playoff candidates its what are we waiting for, we're inept.

Pretty much the only certainty in life...

There are 14 candidates who have been connected to the Bills' search. It's the first and most important hire of the Pegulas' ownership. None of the other teams with vacancies have filled theirs. What's your hurry? Whose time are they wasting...yours?

Well said.

Once one hire is made by any of those teams then the rest will fall quickly. I doubt many are waiting on Case but Quinn, Bevell, and Kubiak are worth waiting for.

I would think we would want a coach who has had experiece being a head coach. Knows how to run a whole team from the get go. My thought is they are looking for a "O" coach and are ready to offer our "DC" the head job. The "D" stays basiclly the same and not a lot of disruption. Makes sense to me they would do that.

Agents really run this process. Unless a coach is offered a "dream job" and overrides his agent's advice (assuming that dream is not to be the HC of the Buffalo Bills) then the agent is going to cut the best deal for their client that they can. So, if Rex Ryan gets three offers his agent will play the deals against each other until they absolutely have to commit. No agent is going to jump at the first offer. The Bills will not lose their preferred candidate based on a timeline. They will win or lose based on the package they present and how it relates to the competition.

They also have a very competent and widely accepted option in Schwartz already under contract so time is really not a huge concern. They are evaluating the entire organization and figuring who does what and how well they do it. The Head Coach hire is a headache I am sure they were not planning for at this point.

No, but you implied they will.....

Target 5 maybe 10 guys like that and hire somebody, this interviewing of 20/30 guys is a waste IMO.

He was referring to their eyesight, not the number of candidates. I agree. No more of these boogers wearing glasses on the sidelines. 20/20 or 20/10 vision or I am so f'ing done with this team.

i think they trust Whaley in refining the candidates based on a plan that he and ownership have developed. now its a matter of matching up the people to the plan... and picking brains may influence their plan. its a dynamic process, that is no longer prioritized by cost

this is a critical point, this time around. and Advantage i might suggest.

Not a lot of tape in the NFL on Pegula!

AND they are playing close to the vest so far.

Much different circumstance than we Bills fans have experienced in our time. even you old guys.

Edited by 3rdand12