What are the Bills waiting for?

Is it for the playoffs to end? Because that takes the team past the East-West Shrine game Jan 17th 2015. The Senior Bowl which is Jan 24th 2015. Because of the six teams hiring a new HC, and probably a new coaching staff that could end up being over 100 people in new jobs. Slim pickings if any team waits very long, or until the super bowl is over.

Whats crazy is it looks like all six teams are waiting for the playoffs to end so they can tab one of the several still in the playoffs.

Does it make sense to anyone else to go after an OC with an "elite" QB? I know I would want to look at how they coached an average joe at QB, and did they make that average QB look brilliant? In this case I think its more Chip Kelly then it ever will be Pat Shurmur. I think its more Russell Wilson then it ever will be Darrell Bevell. Its more Andrew Luck then it ever will be Pep Hamilton. Its more Tom Brady then it ever will be Josh MC Daniel's.

OTOH, Adam Gase stopped going pass happy near mid season, and built a power run game to take pressure off that elite QB. Then he managed to do that with a not so very good O line. Was that because RB CJ Anderson is an outstanding player? In any case the Broncos went 5-1 with that run heavy offense.

So, what happens when all six teams want Broncos OC Adam Gase? The Bills clearly don't look to be the best option for a young HC just starting out. Bad O line, no vet QB.

At this point other choices would be for people with previous successful NFL head coaching experience. An offensive minded coach with a proven tract record of taking that team to the playoffs with an average QB. No need for a defensive minded coach because the team already has a great defensive DC.
Only two people on that list fit that description in my view. Ravens OC Gary Kubiak who managed 10-6 & 12-4 with Matt Schaub at QB. Now granted that 12-4 record was in the abysmal AFC south, and that was Andrew Lucks first year. So far the Bills haven't even requested an interview with Kubiak.
The final person would be Mike Shanahan who has done it all before on the offensive side, and his failure has been to find a top DC in Denver & Washington. The Bills could give him offensive autonomy to control the offensive side of the ball, and keep Whaley / Schwartz to run the defensive side. JMHO.
Or, are the Bills waiting for the playoffs to end so they can hire the football side team president they so desperately need? Then let him select the next HC. Time will tell, because the Pegula's are in hush mode.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the Bills are waiting on any specific person. I think they are casting a wide net. They may end up waiting on someone in the playoffs, but I feel that is not the case at the moment.

This. They are going through a process and it will take time. I like the approach that they are using and I feel confident they will get the guy that they want in the end.

Accepting a head coaching job MEANS you can also Assemble a coaching staff, some simply can not field a staff at this time.

Once the process of adding head coaches around the league starts the rest of the head coaching jobs will fill within days

Edited by HOUSE

Is Whaely the issue for some candidates?

I don't see why he would be. I don't buy any part of the "he's forcing EJ down the next coach's throat" line of thinking.

This is a huge information gathering opportunity for Whaley and the Pegulas. No team with a vacancy has filled it. The most desirable job is likely in Atlanta because of Ryan, but Buffalo is right there.

I don't believe for one second any coaches are shying away from the Buffalo job.

I don't see why he would be. I don't buy any part of the "he's forcing EJ down the next coach's throat" line of thinking.

Either do I. My thinking is that at some point (I think) a president of football operations not named Kim. may or may not want Whaley, or Old man Shanahan may want a lot of GM type control. We don't know how Pegula is feeling or selling Whaley? yes, he is making decisions but does Pegula want him long term? Not out of the question that Whaley's horrid QB and o-line situation is a turn off to offensive minded candidates. Edited by Best Player Available

Either do I. My thinking is that at some point (I think) a president of football operations not named Kim. may or may not wnat Whaley, or Old man Shanahan may want a lot of GM type control. We don't know how Pegula is feeling or selling Whaley? yes, he is making decisions but does Pegula want him long term? Not out of the question that Whaley's horrid QB and o-line situation is a turn off to offensive minded candidates.

I see what you're saying, but I also see a guy in Whaley who "tried" to bring in a ton of OL help the past two seasons. It appears he went for players in the mold of what Saint Doug wanted, but obviously it hasn't worked out.

I really like Whaley -- I haven't hidden that. I believe he has a true strategic plan for how to build an organization and I have to believe that comes across to the Pegulas as well.

Pegula's doing his 'due diligence' in this hiring, because unlike Ralph, he's not delegating this decision to those responsible for the last fifteen years of swings and misses. he, and his wife are evaluating, and learning from, the men they've chosen to speak to - because these men been successful elsewhere.

its how adults - who are secure in their jobs - hire people.. and being the owner is as secure a 'job' as it gets

Edited by BackInDaDay

I don't think they are waiting for anything, I think they are inept. Why interview 20/30 people? It's a waste of everybody's time. This isn't a rebuild job, it's a team on the cusp of winning. That said I don't think you want an inexperienced, would be first time head coach coming in here and learning on the job. This position right now needs an experienced coach to come in and hit the ground running, like a Rex Ryan. Target 5 maybe 10 guys like that and hire somebody, this interviewing of 20/30 guys is a waste IMO. He who hesitates is lost.

I don't think they are waiting for anything, I think they are inept. Why interview 20/30 people? It's a waste of everybody's time. This isn't a rebuild job, it's a team on the cusp of winning. That said I don't think you want an inexperienced, would be first time head coach coming in here and learning on the job. This position right now needs an experienced coach to come in and hit the ground running, like a Rex Ryan. Target 5 maybe 10 guys like that and hire somebody, this interviewing of 20/30 guys is a waste IMO. He who hesitates is lost.

There are 14 candidates who have been connected to the Bills' search. It's the first and most important hire of the Pegulas' ownership. None of the other teams with vacancies have filled theirs. What's your hurry? Whose time are they wasting...yours?

Since nobody has been hired yet, it does take a bit of the pressure off. It's like musical chairs, but the music is still blaring at this point.

they are not interviewing 20-30 people- it's around 12 right now. That's a big difference. I don't see how looking for the best coach is a waste of time. By the nature of the profession it doesn't seem like a quick process. You just throw out numbers with no meaning - target 5 , maybe 10 - so maybe double the search..... 10 is ok with you , but the 12 they've interviewed is a waste of time?

Pegula's doing his 'due diligence' in this hiring, because unlike Ralph, he's not delegating this decision to those responsible for the last fifteen years of swings and misses. he, and his wife are evaluating, and learning from, the men they've chosen to speak to - because these men been successful elsewhere.

its how adults - who are secure in their jobs - hire people.. and being the owner is as secure a 'job' as it gets

I dunno, BackInDaDay. I don't have a problem with the coaching search. I thought they pulled the trigger on Marrone way too fast and didn't talk to enough people. Baby Bear coaching search. This time I think they're bordering on talking to too many people - Papa Bear Coaching Search. But as long as we wind up with a good coach in the end, I don't care.

I do think there must be some truth in the viewpoint that the Pegulas are using this as a giant information-gathering session. If you're interviewing good people, you can learn a lot from the questions they ask. But there's also a viewpoint that if you know what you're looking for, you can quickly sort through candidates and just bring in 3-4.

I think either they want one or more people in the playoffs, or they're trying to figure out what they want.

There are 14 candidates who have been connected to the Bills' search. It's the first and most important hire of the Pegulas' ownership. None of the other teams with vacancies have filled theirs. What's your hurry? Whose time are they wasting...yours?

Yep, this. The time of the Pegula's thought is their own to spend.

Why hire a coach whose team is already out of the playoffs if there are others that you like who are still game planning?

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Plus as others have said, the six teams with HC vacancies still have their coaching/training/scouting staffs under contract.

That will probably change once the music stops.