Bills Offseason

Obviously I am no GM & I don't have the insight or knowledge of Tom Donahoe but based on the things I know and have read this is my educated guess on what I think the Bills should do this off.

Cut Drew Bledsoe before he is due his roster bonus (March 2) & save $2.2 million on the cap

Resign Shane Matthews for 1 year for the league minimum and because he is a 10 year vet the Bills can get extra cap relief. Matthews performed well in the preseason and in his only regular season appearance. He is a veteran who has been with these coaches for a year & been in the league for a long time under many systems and he could help with the development of Losman.

Rework & extend Eric Moulds deal to give the team some cap relief this year & don't hurt yourself against the cap on this deal for future years.

Cut Pierson Prioleau and save 1.2-1.5 on the cap and consider resigning him for the league minimum where he could battle Coy Wire & rookies for backup strong safety

Trade Travis Henry this offseason for a draft pick or two in the 2006 draft. Teams will be more willing to give up more for Henry in '06 than in '05. Also the '06 draft should be a stronger draft than the '05 draft.

Let Jonas Jennings go & sign 2 offensive linemen to upgrade the offensive line

Perhaps Walter Jones or Orlando Pace at tackle & Keydrick Vincent or whatever combo OL that is available to upgrade OLT & OLG

Try to resign Pat Williams at a very reasonable cost. If he will be too much then use remaing available cap room to extend Nate Clements contract or to sign other free angent(s)

Draft

2nd round Mike Nugent K Ohio St.

3rd round best CB available - Corey Webster L.S.U. or Fabian Washington Nebraska or Ronald Bartell Howard

4th round Courtney Roby WR Indiana or Jerome Mathis WR Hampton

5th round Roger Cooper LB Montana St.

6th round Stefan LeFors QB Louisville

7th round Brandon Jacobs RB Southern Illinois

UFA Adrian McPherson QB Nashville Kats (AFL)

Obviously I am no GM & I don't have the insight or knowledge of Tom Donahoe but based on the things I know and have read this is my educated guess on what I think the Bills should do this off.

229272[/snapback]

Here's my quick plan(s).

1. Rework Bledsoe and Moulds' contracts.

2. Re-sign Jonas Jennings to a contract worth between $3.5 - $4.4 million per year.

*3a. Attempt to re-sign Pat Williams to a cap friendly dead (no more then $3 mi)

**3b. IF Pat walks go after LG Rick DeMulling

4. Trade Travis Henry to Tampa Bay for their 3rd Round pick (roughly pick 69 overall).

5. Cut Prioleau.

6. Re-sign Matthews to two year contract (2005 is Drew's final season as a Bill).

7. Re-sign CB Kevin Thomas to two year contract (to serve as dime/nickel back).

DRAFT:

*Round 2: If Pat re-signed there's a need for a LG, use pick on OG Evan Mathis, Alabama.

**Round 2: If Pat unsigned, there's no need for a LG, use pick on CB

Antonio Perkins, Oklahoma.

*Round 3A: (from Tampa) Scenario if Pat is re-signed CB Bryant McFadden, FSU

**Round 3A:(from Tampa) Scenario if Pat is unsigned K Mike Nugent, Ohio State

Round 3B: DE Jimmy Verdon, Arizona State

Round 4: WR Roydell Williams, Tulane

Round 5: LB Derek Wake, PSU

Round 6: RB Noah Herron, Northwestern

*Round 7: Scenario if Pat is re-signed: K Jonathan Nichols, Ole Miss

**Round 7: Scenario if Pat is unsigned: OL Willie McNeill, North Carolina

Cut Drew Bledsoe before he is due his roster bonus (March 2) & save $2.2 million on the cap

Resign Shane Matthews for 1 year for the league minimum and because he is a 10 year vet the Bills can get extra cap relief. Matthews performed well in the preseason and in his only regular season appearance. He is a veteran who has been with these coaches for a year & been in the league for a long time under many systems and he could help with the development of Losman.

Rework & extend Eric Moulds deal to give the team some cap relief this year & don't hurt yourself against the cap on this deal for future years.

Cut Pierson Prioleau and save 1.2-1.5 on the cap and consider resigning him for the league minimum where he could battle Coy Wire & rookies for backup strong safety

Trade Travis Henry this offseason for a draft pick or two in the 2006 draft. Teams will be more willing to give up more for Henry in '06 than in '05. Also the '06 draft should be a stronger draft than the '05 draft.

Perhaps Walter Jones or Orlando Pace at tackle & Keydrick Vincent or whatever combo OL that is available to upgrade OLT & OLG

Try to resign Pat Williams at a very reasonable cost. If he will be too much then use remaing available cap room to extend Nate Clements contract or to sign other free angent(s)

Draft

2nd round  Mike Nugent K Ohio St.

3rd round best CB available - Corey Webster L.S.U. or Fabian Washington Nebraska or Ronald Bartell Howard

4th round  Courtney Roby WR Indiana or Jerome Mathis WR Hampton

229272[/snapback]

I agree 100% with your 1st move :P and your 2nd move isn't too bad,

but I'd make sure Nate was extended before looking at any other areas.

If Moulds' contract has to be reworked first to get Nate his money, so be it.

TD can't afford to let a stud like him go, that's far more important than any OL or DL moves. Upgrades to either of those units will be subtle compared to the huge downgrade if Nate left town.

My offseason moves would be:

1. Cut or trade Drew Bledsoe before his roster bonus comes due.

2. Sign Kurt Warner

3. Cut Eric Moulds to free up cap space.

4. Sign Isaac Bruce if available; if not sign the best possession WR I can.

5. Use Moulds cap space to re-sign Jennings, or to bring in OL free agents.

6. Extend Clements and re-sign Pat Williams.

7. Use the draft to shore up whatever needs I missed in free agency--TE, interior OL, K, etc.

Once these changes were finished, I'd have a significantly upgraded passing game; the offensive line would be improved, the defense solidified, and the cap situation would be taken care of.

This is not the way the cap works. It is NEVER better for the team to cut a player and resign him cheaper. In effect he now counts twice on the cap. If they want to keep him, they can work out some kind of pay cut, but he will not be released and resigned.

Obviously he has to cut all 52 players currently surrounding Bledsoe and not contributing. And then he has to sign 52 All-Pros so that Drew can have the kind of season he so richly deserves and has so far been unjustly denied because of the dregs that he's been forced to play with. :P

Go Whitey, go.

Here's my quick plan(s).

1. Rework Bledsoe and Moulds' contracts.

2. Re-sign Jonas Jennings to a contract worth between $3.5 - $4.4 million per year.

*3a. Attempt to re-sign Pat Williams to a cap friendly dead (no more then $3 mi)

**3b. IF Pat walks go after LG Rick DeMulling

4. Trade Travis Henry to Tampa Bay for their 3rd Round pick (roughly pick 69 overall).

5. Cut Prioleau.

6. Re-sign Matthews to two year contract (2005 is Drew's final season as a Bill).

7. Re-sign CB Kevin Thomas to two year contract (to serve as dime/nickel back).

DRAFT:

*Round 2: If Pat re-signed there's a need for a LG, use pick on OG Evan Mathis, Alabama.

**Round 2: If Pat unsigned, there's no need for a LG, use pick on CB

Antonio Perkins, Oklahoma.

*Round 3A: (from Tampa) Scenario if Pat is re-signed  CB Bryant McFadden, FSU

**Round 3A:(from Tampa) Scenario if Pat is unsigned K Mike Nugent, Ohio State

Round 3B: DE Jimmy Verdon, Arizona State

Round 4:  WR Roydell Williams, Tulane

Round 5:  LB Derek Wake, PSU

Round 6: RB Noah Herron, Northwestern

*Round 7: Scenario if Pat is re-signed:  K Jonathan Nichols, Ole Miss

**Round 7: Scenario if Pat is unsigned: OL Willie McNeill, North Carolina

229335[/snapback]

I don't think we need a 12 game/year slightly above average LT for $4 Mill.

Can't we get someone else?

My offseason moves would be:

1. Cut or trade Drew Bledsoe before his roster bonus comes due.

2. Sign Kurt Warner

3. Cut Eric Moulds to free up cap space.

4. Sign Isaac Bruce if available; if not sign the best possession WR I can.

5. Use Moulds cap space to re-sign Jennings, or to bring in OL free agents.

6. Extend Clements and re-sign Pat Williams.

7. Use the draft to shore up whatever needs I missed in free agency--TE, interior OL, K, etc.

Once these changes were finished, I'd have a significantly upgraded passing game; the offensive line would be improved, the defense solidified, and the cap situation would be taken care of.

229361[/snapback]

You've got to be kidding with Kurt Warner.

He is as bad as Drew, not mention that he can't play the versatle offense that MM has designed for JP.

Pointless to have a backup that can't execute the base offense.

Draft

229272[/snapback]

I would like to see all of that myself, minus the Shane Mathews part. If we don't get any of the OL we would like, I think we should make a run at the top pass rusher.

He is as bad as Drew, not mention that he can't play the versatle offense that MM has designed for JP.

229428[/snapback]

Kurt's QB rating is ten points higher than Drew's. Kurt didn't have an offensive line down in NY; while Drew's line came together to provide good pass protection for all but the first six games or so. It's safe to say that Kurt did a lot more with a lot less. He seems to be well on his way back to being the player who'd cut up opposing defenses like a man among boys.

Thanks for your ideas. I'd|

1. Do pretty much what TD is doing and tell Bledsoe I plan to cut him if he doesn't renegotiate to a cheaper deal. My hope of the two choices is that Bledsoe will in fact negotiate to a cheaper deal and convinces me that he is a teamer rather than a child and is confident enough in himself to compete with JP on the field and believe that MM and crew will choose the best man for the job based on their on-field performance.

By far the best outcome for the Bills strikes me as him negotiating out to a smaller cap hit him being correct in trusting in MM in deciding their on-field performace fairly. I see this as the best outcome because we can deal with the accelerated cap hit of cutting him but it will really be tough on the is team to do so as the combined cap cost of the accelerated cap hit AND the cost of signing the most credible @2 we can will likely exceed the cap cost of keeping him with his agreed to contract.

Bledsoe played the role of the #2 perfectly for Brady when this situation was forced upon them and it would be a wonderful thing if he played this same #2 role for a JP who proved on the field he was ready for the starter's job. If JP isn't ready to start and needs to be benched, i doubt the Bills will make it to the SB (or simply make the playoffs with Bledsoe as the starter, but there is a chance that we could make the playoffs with Bledsoe if he repeats the same level of improvement in his production from the '04 season to the '05 season that he showed with his improvement from horrid in '03 to more productive though still inadequate in '04.

2. Matthews did well in his brief appearance in '04 but my understanding is that it has been printed in the media without any correction by Matthews that he plans to return to the couch the Bills rescued him from and retire from pro football adter last seaaon. Barring hearing something otherwise from Matthews I think he is done and should not be counted upon.

3. I agree that we should definitely take Moulds up on his offer and redo his deal so he retires a Bill and we reduce his immediate cap hit.

4. I like Prioleau as a player and feel he has been a difference maker for the Bills on a number of plays during his career. However, his contributions do not equal his cap hit and I would simply cut him.

5. I'd trade TH for sure, but not for the fantasy league speculation of some draft choice but for a player (even a lesser one than TH straight-up if that player feels a need for us this year. I'd even be willing to throw in a draft choice with TH for a player like TE McMichael of the Fins. I actually think TD is headed exactly in this direction saying that he wants a 2nd for TH and throwing gas on the media flames of Miami interest when he knows they do not have a second to trade for him.

6, I'm pretty willing to let JJ go also because I think if we resign him it will probably cost us a $5 million or so cap hit and when you combine that with almost $6 million cap hit MW is scheduled to get this year the two of them alone will take up about 1/8 of Bills total cap and I do not see us devoting cap space beyond current contract levels to any new player on the OL. I'm intrigued by a concept I sae on TSW today of trading TH to AZ for Cards former LT Shelton, his $3 million annual salary and cap hit would be quite manageable for us and give us value for Henry in '05 rather than some speculative draft choice who even if he works out it not likely to provide us with any return until '06 or later.

7. I also try to resign PW but only for a relatively small raise and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose him.

in no real order...

1. Trade Henry - OT L.J. Shelton of the Cards would be a nice prize. Package Henry with Bledsoe and maybe a draft pick.

2. Get Bledsoe off this roster- no more fools gold

3. Re-sign OT Marcus Price and Identify an OT and LG on the Free Agency market.

4. Sign a Vet QB who has some mobility and isn't a turnover machine. Charlie Batch of Pittsburgh knows the Offense. Consider others.

5. Re-sign Pat Williams , if his expectations are reasonable.

6. Redo Moulds contract - 2005 cap hit is $8,775,000.

7. Sign a TE in Free Agency. Campbell and Euhus both coming off knee surgery.

8. Sign a Vet RB in Free Agency. Versatile sort who can block, catch. A Roland Hooks, Rob Riddick, Kenny Davis type to back up Willis.

9. A Vet DE would be a good idea in Free Agency.

10. Sign a solid K in Free Agency or consider Nugent in Round 2. He's worth it. Cut Lindell .

11. Sign a Vet WR for a solid #3 option.

I would like to see Nate Clements re-signed but I believe he will sit tight until after 2005 and test the FA waters.

Draft day - CB,OL,S and general depth.

TD has lots of work to do.

229428[/snapback]

Plus he has a noodle arm. His QB rating behind the Bills O-line last year & the winds at the Ralph would have been about 45.5

Give it up people. Tom Donahoe wont let Bledsoe go after giving him that huge pep rally. The most significant problem on this bills team is the offensive line.

Why is it that willis does not run up the middle? I will tell you THE FUGGIN CENTER STINKS.

Look for a beefed up offensive line in this 2005 off season.

Also, Tom Donahoe better get a reliable TE plus another WR. Need to take Mcghee out of the secondary. I have gained too many gray hairs with him back there.

GO PHILADELPHIA EAGLES CRUSH THE BRADY BUNCH :P

in no real order...

1. Trade Henry - OT L.J. Shelton of the Cards would be a nice prize. Package Henry with Bledsoe and maybe a draft pick.

2. Get Bledsoe off this roster- no more fools gold

3. Re-sign OT Marcus Price and Identify an OT and LG on the Free Agency market.

4. Sign a Vet QB who has some mobility and isn't a turnover machine. Charlie Batch of Pittsburgh knows the Offense. Consider others.

5. Re-sign Pat Williams , if his expectations are reasonable.

6. Redo Moulds contract - 2005 cap hit is $8,775,000.

7. Sign a TE in Free Agency. Campbell and Euhus both coming off knee surgery.

8. Sign a Vet RB in Free Agency. Versatile sort who can block, catch. A Roland Hooks, Rob Riddick, Kenny Davis type to back up Willis.

9. A Vet DE would be a good idea in Free Agency.

10. Sign a solid K in Free Agency or consider Nugent in Round 2. He's worth it. Cut Lindell .

11. Sign a Vet WR for a solid #3 option. 

I would like to see Nate Clements re-signed but I believe he will sit tight until after 2005 and test the FA waters.

Draft day - CB,OL,S and general depth.

TD has lots of work to do.

229583[/snapback]

What exactly is it that you like about Batch? Can he run? Sure, but since an early flash or 2 in his career, he seems to be running toward the bench, perhaps even the unemployment line. Batch imo is RJ with perhaps en extra dance step.

To want Bach over Drew indicates one (or both) of two things.....

A blind hatred for Drew, or

A blind faith that JP is Canton Bound.

Personally, I would rather Drew stay and fight JP for the job rather than go with a choice of a guy who has proven that he cannot win a starting job on any team, and a guy who has proven that he can get hurt when a small player brushes up against him.

1) Sack Bledsoe like cheap potatoes and get Losman ready with an intense offseason in Buffalo.

2) Kick Rian Lindell's sorry a$$ outta Buffalo.

3) Re-sign Tim Krumrie and Don Blackmon to the coaching staff.

4) Re-sign Pat Williams.

5) Restructure Eric Moulds.

6) Extend Nate Clements.

7) Re-sign Jonas Jennings if he agrees to a cap friendly deal.

8) Sign a UFA TE like Bubba Franks or Itulu Mili.

9) Sign a UFA Guard like Rick DeMulling, Joe Andruzzi, or Marco Rivera.

10) Sign or draft a reliable 3rd WR (Dane Looker).

11) Sign a UFA K (Todd Peterson) or draft a new Kicker (Hopefully Mike Nugent).

What exactly is it that you like about Batch? Can he run? Sure, but since an early flash or 2 in his career, he seems to be running toward the bench, perhaps even the unemployment line. Batch imo is RJ with perhaps en extra dance step.

Personally, I would rather Drew stay and fight JP for the job rather than go with a choice of a guy who has proven that he cannot win a starting job on any team, and a guy who has proven that he can get hurt when a small player brushes up against him.

229644[/snapback]

Charlie Batch would produce no worse than Drew and would cost about $5 mil less.

It is mind boggling that Teflon Tom paid DRew $8.75 mil in 2004 to play like a rookie and not lose games (which he still managed to do against the Steelers 2nd stringers.)

229644[/snapback]

Blind hatred suggests he has done no wrong and I'm just singling him out for some personal type vendetta. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's all based on his overall inconsistent/horrid play and excessive salary for little production/playing small in big games. I have zero faith in his QB abilities. Our Defense and ST's lead us to victory most weeks. I could care less about DB's career stats. They don't mean a thing anymore.

JP is completely unproven but won't learn sitting on the bench. I put faith in Wyche to coach him up and also TD to identify a Veteran QB who can step in if JP is not ready.

The DB experiment is played and has failed for the last 2 seasons. He'll never win us a playoff game, so what's the point ? His legacy is not more important than the Buffalo Bills.

Draft

229272[/snapback]

Im 100% with you dude!!!

as far as FA, I didnt see a mention of TE yet Franks and Becht are set to be out there. I think we will have between 13-15 mill in cap space after all s said and done with Drew, Moulds, Travis. Thats a lot of cash to lock up 2 maybe 3 players!! That, to me, means a few bigtime studs! Walter Jones..Hell ya, Pace..hell ya, Franks..yes, Andruzzi..yes.

as far as draft, you are on the money my man!

If we nail down our strating LG from FA, we can draft Nuge with the 2nd rounder. Mathis, Lefors are both guys I like, Jacobs? dont know him, but JJ Arrington and Noah Herron or Darren Sproles are guys I like. How about another WR to compete with Mathis/Reed/Aiken for the 3rd WR spot? I LOVE Chauncey Stovall, FSU!!!!

Keep it up! maybe TD lurks here in his spare time! 0:)

What exactly is it that you like about Batch? Can he run?

Actually Batch doesn't run very well at all. He does a good job sensing pressure and moving within the pocket, but he is certainly not a running QB. Additionally his game bears no resemblance whatsoever to Rob Johnson's.

What's to like about Batch is that he sees the field very well, makes good decisions with the ball, is accurate and has very good instincts for the game.

I don't hate Drew nor do I think JP is any more than 50/50 to be a good NFL QB. The reasons I would take Batch over Drew are very simple ones:

1)I think Batch is a good QB

2)I think Drew is a bad QB

Nothing to do with personal animosity or pipe-dreams of HOF glory. You know, it's possible to have a differing opinion w/o being blind or hateful..... 0:)

since an early flash or 2 in his career.....Batch imo is RJ with perhaps en extra dance step......rather than go with a choice of a guy who has proven that he cannot win a starting job on any team.....

I'm not sure what it is, but I just have a sneaking suspicion that you haven't ever really watched Batch play much, if at all.

Here's some facts for you:

While Drew has spent muh of his career playing for/with guys like Bill Parcells, Eric Moulds, Sam Wyche, Ben Coates, etc., Batch has spent his career playing for such luminaries as Bobby Ross, Marty Morninwheg, Gary Moeller, Karl Mauck and a Detroit offense with no talent and an atrocious OLine.(which Batch actually took to the playoffs once! :blink: )

Even though this is the case Batch's career QB rating and his TD:INT ratio are both still better than Bledsoe's.

But yeah, I'm blind and hateful..... :lol:

>>>I don't hate Drew nor do I think JP is any more than 50/50 to be a good NFL QB. The reasons I would take Batch over Drew are very simple ones:

1)I think Batch is a good QB

2)I think Drew is a bad QB

Nothing to do with personal animosity or pipe-dreams of HOF glory. You know, it's possible to have a differing opinion w/o being blind or hateful.....<<<

Simon, my old friend, the above is not logical imo.

There will ALWAYS be a shortage of NFL qbs (and of course LTS and pass rushing DEs). Batch has been around for a while now. If he was worth more than a dime store trollop, why is it that he hasn't caught on somewhere by now and accomplished anything at all? Even Fiedler was able to take a football team to the playoffs, let alone win a starting job. Flutie is 90 and still getting paid.

Think about it, he could have been traded for a big pick, like Freeley. He could have signed a huge contract like RJ. He could have caught on with a team and earned a solid reputation (like Hasselbeck). Instead, he has drifted around like a hobo and sat.

It is true, every GM in the league could be wrong about him. He may have a talent that no GM can see. Even so, in his entire career, he will never accomplish half of what Drew has done to date.

This is why I am confused about such comparisons. I cannot find any logical reason to place a nobody next to a guy who will be near the top in virtually every passing category, and I have tried.

Maybe Bills fans are SO much in the habit of hating him from the patriot days that they cannot stop. I dont know, but I hope to see Drew and JP battle it out in camp this season, until of course JP is mangled and maimed from slapping someone a high five, or some other form of contact.

Blind hatred suggests he has done no wrong and I'm just singling him out for some personal type vendetta. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's all based on his overall inconsistent/horrid play and excessive salary for little production/playing small in big games. I have zero faith in his QB abilities. Our Defense and ST's lead us to victory most weeks. I could care less about DB's career stats. They don't mean a thing anymore.

JP is completely unproven but won't learn sitting on the bench. I put faith in Wyche to coach him up and also TD to identify a Veteran QB who can step in if JP is not ready.

The DB experiment is played and has failed for the last 2 seasons. He'll never win us a playoff game, so what's the point ? His legacy is not more important than the Buffalo Bills.

229759[/snapback]

Mark, when a team is 0-4, I think that every game is big.

why is it that he hasn't caught on somewhere by now and accomplished anything at all?

He's been on an NFL team since the day he was drafted and taking that atrocious LionsOffense and it's staff to the playoffs is quite an accomplishment in my book. imo it's something Drew couldn't hope to acomplish in his wildest dreams.

Even Fiedler was able to take a football team to the playoffs, let alone win a starting job.

Fiedler's defense took that miamuh team to the p'offs; and that Lions defense Batch took to the playoffs pales in comparison. And Batch won a starting job his rookie year in Detroit after being drafted from a small school with the last pick of the 2ndround; he then proceeded to start another 45+ games there until he signed w/ the Stillers after Millen came to Detroit and wanted his own guys.

He could have signed a huge contract like RJ. He could have caught on with a team and earned a solid reputation (like Hasselbeck). Instead, he has drifted around like a hobo and sat.

He didn't sign a huge contract like RJ because he doesn't have the arm/legs RJ had, he did catch on with a team (he chose his hometown team to be closer to his family) and if you want to know about his reputation, ask QB guru Bill Walsh who happens to be one of his biggest supporters. And as for your smarmy comment about him being a hobo, I think it's pretty telling that you'd call a guy who has only played for two teams, the second in his own hometown, a "hobo". 0:)

in his entire career, he will never accomplish half of what Drew has done to date.....a guy who will be near the top in virtually every passing category

I couldn't give a rat's ass what kind of #'s Parcells enabled Drew to put up, nor could I give a rat's ass about what kind of #'s he will retire with. All I care about is what QB gives the Bills the best chance to win right now. And Blesoe ain't it.

I'm not sure why you love Drew so much that you'll rip on other people like Batch and Losman who may be a threat to his status as an "untouchable". Whatever it is, I think it's preventing you from looking at the Bills QB position with much objectivity. Regardless of how tall Drew is, how big his arm is, how stern his jaw or how regal his bearing, he's still a stumbling buffoon when the ball is snapped. When your QB's biggest weakness is the position's most important requirement (i.e. the football brain), the guy is doomed to failure. He may speak handsomely, but since Parcells left NE, Bledsoe's looked dumber than a bag of hammers on the field.

That's not going to change any time soon, but feel free to rip on anybody who may be suggested to replace yor exalted leader.

Cya

He's been on an NFL team since the day he was drafted and taking that atrocious LionsOffense and it's staff to the playoffs is quite an accomplishment in my book. imo it's something Drew couldn't hope to acomplish in his wildest dreams.

Fiedler's defense took that miamuh team to the p'offs; and that Lions defense Batch took to the playoffs pales in comparison. And Batch won a starting job his rookie year in Detroit after being drafted from a small school with the last pick of the 2ndround; he then proceeded to start another 45+ games there until he signed w/ the Stillers after Millen came to Detroit and wanted his own guys.

He didn't sign a huge contract like RJ because he doesn't have the arm/legs RJ had, he did catch on with a team (he chose his hometown team to be closer to his family) and if you want to know about his reputation, ask QB guru Bill Walsh who happens to be one of his biggest supporters. And as for your smarmy comment about him being a hobo, I think it's pretty telling that you'd call a guy who has only played for two teams, the second in his own hometown, a "hobo".  0:)

I couldn't give a rat's ass what kind of #'s Parcells enabled Drew to put up, nor could I give a rat's ass about what kind of #'s he will retire with. All I care about is what QB gives the Bills the best chance to win right now. And Blesoe ain't it.

I'm not sure why you love Drew so much that you'll rip on other people like Batch and Losman who may be a threat to his status as an "untouchable". Whatever it is, I think it's preventing you from looking at the Bills QB position with much objectivity. Regardless of how tall Drew is, how big his arm is, how stern his jaw or how regal his bearing, he's still a stumbling buffoon when the ball is snapped. When your QB's biggest weakness is the position's most important requirement (i.e. the football brain), the guy is doomed to failure. He may speak handsomely, but since Parcells left NE, Bledsoe's looked dumber than a bag of hammers on the field.

That's not going to change any time soon, but feel free to rip on anybody who may be suggested to replace yor exalted leader.

Cya

229854[/snapback]

All of you points are well taken, except perhaps about Batch. He is now what, 4th string? Behind the likes of Maddox and who else?

For the record, I want JP to compete with Drew for the starting job. That said, I strongly doubt if he will beat him out. I think the Bills will be loaded this season when the draft and free agency smoke clear. Loaded AND well coached. I want the Bills to go with the qb who gives them the best chance to win.

Bledsoe is a very "needy" qb. Now, his needs seem to be in place. The OL will very likely improve. MaGahee is here and Travis will be gone! Evans might be a superstar, it is possible.

This is why I cannot see going with an unknown, nor an unproven player.

Plus he has a noodle arm. His QB rating behind the Bills O-line last year & the winds at the Ralph would have been about 45.5

229585[/snapback]

Noodle arm? When Bledsoe throws a screen pass like a fastball, people complain--correctly--that he has no touch. But when Warner slows the short stuff down a little, people complain about his noodle arm! There is no winning with the fans on these boards! Or maybe you were saying that Warner didn't put enough on the deep passes. That would imply his offensive line gave him the time to throw the ball deep in the first place . . .

Draft

229272[/snapback]

Mike Nugent

Official Bio College: Ohio St. Height: 5-10

Position: Kicker Weight: 180

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.7

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Very experienced having started four seasons for the Buckeyes...Has a strong leg for attempts 50+ yards and beyond...Has the nerves to make big, clutch kicks...Consistent and will go on long streaks without missing...Can also kickoff.

Weaknesses: Doesn't have great size but there have been many kickers with slight frames...Can still fine tune and improve his mechanics and technique.

Notes: Elite kicking prospect with day one potential...Actually a better prospect than Nate Kaeding, who was an early 3rd round pick in 2004...Was amazing as a senior and really improved his draft stock.

Nugent is a future Probowler just waiting to be drafted. He's a clutch kicker who is very accurate. 8 of 9 attempts over 50 yards were made in his career. Also over 60% of his kickoffs were touchbacks. He was Ohio States team MVP this past season.

Corey Webster

Official Bio College: L.S.U. Height: 6-0

Position: Cornerback Weight: 201

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.50

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Excellent athletic ability...Good ball skills and hands...Has great instincts...Good size and lanky frame...Tough and will play through pain...Is a great leaper...Just touching the tip of the iceberg in terms of his potential.

Weaknesses: Doesn't have a lot of experience at corner...Still learning the nuances of the position...Has to refine his technique...Doesn't have elite speed...Suffered through an injury-plagued senior season.

Notes: Former wide receiver...Didn't have the amazing senior season most were expecting but his physical tools and upside are hard to ignore...Should test well and if healthy could move up in the months leading up to the Draft.

Webster was considered by many scouts to be the top CB going into last season.

He had a poor week at the senior bowl which could hurt his draft status & could bring him as low as the 3rd round

Fabian Washington

Official Bio College: Nebraska Height: 5-11

Position: Cornerback Weight: 175

Class: Junior 40-Yard: 4.39

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Experienced and started three years for the Huskers...Has very good speed...Good height...Is an excellent natural athlete...Productive in terms of interceptions, pass breakups and tackles...A playmaker with a nose for the ball...Confident and not afraid of anyone.

Weaknesses: Needs to work on his technique...Has a somewhat slight frame and could bulk up a little...May have trouble grasping a complicated defensive scheme...May be too confident at times and will take risks in an effort to make the big play.

Notes: Has the physical tools you look for and you can't teach speed...Not a finished product but with his experience, triangle numbers and productivity he is a very fine prospect.

Washington would bring more team speed on defense. Sounds to be a similar player to Nate Clements

Ronald Bartell

Official Bio College: Howard Height: 6-2

Position: Cornerback Weight: 203

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.40

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Excellent size and speed...Great athlete who would make an impact at any big school...Has fluid hips...Physical and aggressive...Has some upside.

Weaknesses: Played against a low level of competition...Raw and has a lot to learn in terms of technique...Awareness leaves a lot to be desired...It will be a major jump in terms of the talent level and will need to show well at the postseason All-Star games.

Notes: Began his career at Central Michigan before transferring...Has everything the NFL is looking for physically and is one of the top sleepers in the draft.

Mularkey says he likes physical players. Well, this kid has size & speed too.

Courtney Roby

Official Bio College: Indiana Height: 6-0

Position: Wide Receiver Weight: 190

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.38

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Has excellent speed...Very quick...Good hands...Always a threat to run after the catch...Dangerous playmaker who defenses have to account for deep...Fearless and will give up his body to make the catch...Strong character and hard worker.

Weaknesses: Only average size...Has a slight frame and needs to bulk up and get stronger...Upside could be limited and he may top out as a #2 or slot receiver.

Notes: Also a top sprinter in college...Former NFL All-Pro punter Reggie Roby is Courtney’s cousin...Had a great senior campaign and really helped himself in terms of the draft.

Had only 14.7 yars per catch on 55 receptions his senior year but the more team speed the Bills can get the better

Jerome Mathis

Official Bio College: Hampton Height: 6-0

Position: Wide Receiver Weight: 180

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.41

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Has good size...Excellent speed...Has been very productive...Physical player and very tough...Has all the confidence in the world...A big play waiting to happen who is a threat to score everytime he gets his hands on the ball...Also a tremendous return man.

Weaknesses: Played against a lower level of competition and the jump will require a lot of adjustment...Has some character questions that need to be answered...Needs to work on his hands...Still raw and will need to work hard and be developed to reach his full potential.

Notes: Also a track All-American at Hampton...Great sleeper prospect with all the physical tools you look for as well as a lot of upside...Could surprise on Draft Day.

Another physical player with good speed

Roger Cooper

Official Bio College: Montana St. Height: 6-3

Position: Outside Linebacker Weight: 238

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.7

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Good size...Excellent strength and toughness...Very good pass rusher...Makes plays all over the field...Has decent speed and athletic ability...Can more than hold his own in coverage.

Weaknesses: Comes from a small school and hasn't faved a lot of top competition...Not a great tackler...Needs a lot of work in terms of his technique...Raw and a bit of a project.

Notes: Has a lot of the physical tools you look for...Has a lot of potential and his ability to get after the quarterback is intriguing...One of the top sleepers in the draft.

I don't know much about him other than what was written here. I was just looking for someone who could compete with Posey at OLB

Stefan LeFors

Official Bio College: Louisville Height: 6-0

Position: Quarterback Weight: 201

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.62

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Good athlete with excellent mobility to scramble and make things happen when the play breaks down...Very accurate passer with good timing and touch...Doesn't make many mistakes...Has all the intangibles you look for and is a team leader and field general...Has the "It" factor that all the great ones possess.

Weaknesses: Vastly undersized in terms of a pro prospect...Arm strength is subpar and will become more of a problem at the next level...Durability could be a concern due to his size and style of play...Will need to be in the right system to even have a chance.

Notes: Father, Mother and Brother are all deaf...Had an incredible senior season and will get a shot in the NFL but just doesn't have the physical tools the pros look for...Could develop into an excellent backup.

Doesn't have the best size or the strongest arm, but is mobile and extremely accurate. Completed 73.5% of his passes his senior year had the most yards per attempt of any division 1A QB. Had 20 TD's. Had only 3 picks. Had only 9 sacks against him. 181 QB rating.

Brandon Jacobs

Official Bio College: Southern Illinois Height: 6-4

Position: Running Back Weight: 260

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.6

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Excellent size / speed ratio...Very strong and powerful...Runs hard...Has the potential to be a good blocker...Has been very productive whenever he has gotten a chance to play...Still has some upside.

Weaknesses: A RB / FB 'tweener who may not have the pure speed or shiftiness needed to play running back in the pros...Doesn't deliver as many blows as he should...Has bounced around in college...Dominated in 2004, but it was against a lower level of competition.

Notes: Transferred from Auburn when both Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown decided to return to school for their senior season...Impressive size, speed and athletic ability is intriguing...Teams may project him to fullback in the pros...Similiar prospect to Jerami Johnson of the Cincinnati Bengals.

A very big back who could help McGahee wear out opposing defenses

Adrian McPherson

Official Bio College: Nashville Kats (AFL) Height: 6-4

Position: Quarterback Weight: 210

Class: Junior 40-Yard: 4.51

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Unbelievable athlete...Possesses a very strong arm...Has ideal height...Dominated the Arena Football League despite being the youngest guy on the field...A threat to throw or run the ball who always keeps defenses on their toes...Upside is almost unlimited because physically he has it all and then some.

Weaknesses: Major character concerns...A player being linked to gambling is about as bad as it gets in the NFL's eyes...Needs to continue to get bigger and stronger...Doesn't have a lot of experience...Gets by on his talent alone at this point and must continue to develop as a passer...As big of an upside as he has, the downside is just as substancial.

Notes: First athlete in Florida prep history to ever be named both Mr. Football and Mr. Basketball...Began his career at Florida St. and was starting by his sophomore year before getting kicked out amid a high profile gambling scandal...Tried to enroll at Tennessee St. but when it became clear the NCAA wasn't going to allow him to play football he chose to turn pro and sign with the Indiana Firebirds of the A.F.L....Could have opted for the 2004 NFL Draft or a Supplemental Draft but chose to pay his dues in the A.F.L. and prove to the NFL that he has matured...Will always have his past transgressions hanging over his head but seems to be doing and saying all the right things to move on...Is becoming a very intriguing prospect.

A mobile QB with potential. Would be a good player for the practice squad.

Bios from

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/rankings.html

Kurt's QB rating is ten points higher than Drew's. Kurt didn't have an offensive line down in NY; while Drew's line came together to provide good pass protection for all but the first six games or so. It's safe to say that Kurt did a lot more with a lot less. He seems to be well on his way back to being the player who'd cut up opposing defenses like a man among boys.

229482[/snapback]

You did actually see him play this year, no?

Am I the only one who thinks drafting a Kicker with the first selection in the draft is a WASTE of a pick?........Especially when we could use help on many other more important positions.(LT, LG, C, DT, etc)

I realize this team needs a Kicker, but do we really need to get that Kicker with our 2nd pick in the draft when Kickers like Adam Vinateri, Mike Vanderjagt, and Neil Rackers are available in free agency?

234081[/snapback]

This kid can kickoff better than those guys. He may be just as accurate. And he'll be cheaper

Draft

229272[/snapback]

Hmmm. They drafted one OL player in the 7th round last year, and per your list, nobody this coming year.

Ouch. I guess those 2 qb's can block...

Draft

229272[/snapback]

I like it all except letting Jennings go. If we could sign Pace or Jones then that works for me but I highly doubt either of those two are available(I think they both will be franchised)