Match the coach with the team

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought that it would be fun to predict who fills the available HC jobs.

My guess:

Jets - Dan Quinn

Bears - Doug Marrone

49ers - Mike Shanahan

Falcons - Rex Ryan

Raiders - Pep Hamilton

Bills - Adam Gase

Reasonable but I pray for not getting Adam Gase.

I'll have a crack:

Bills: Pep Hamilton or Darrell Bevell (However, I have a feeling we actually promote Schwartz for at least this upcoming season and why not?)

Bears: Jack Del Rio

Falcons: Josh McDaniels or Rex Ryan

49ers: Todd Bowles

Jets: Mike Shanahan

Raiders: Dan Quinn

I really think there will be a premium placed on previous HC experience. The fact that no team has committed to currently available candidates tells me the teams still in play will produce at least two hires.

The guys being talked about out there with current HC are:

Tony Sparano - NO (Raiders only possibility)

Marc Trestman - NO (I always liked him but he is toxic right now)

Rex Ryan - YES (He will have multiple options)

Mike Smith - NO (Will be out of coaching in 2014 (and maybe beyond)...good guy but he needs a rest)

Gary Kubiak - YES (Not a lot being said about him but he will be a player in a secondary market (maybe in Oakland or Buffalo))

Mike Shanahan - YES (Wobbly but he will probably end up somewhere)

Doug Marrone - NO (Window is closing...will anyone want to work with this guy?)

So really, the only sure thing is Rex Ryan. He follows the team with the best QB right now. He will play and sell well in ATLANTA.

Gary Kubiak will be a popular interview once available and I think he lands in BUFFALO, NEW YORK, or OAKLAND. He was Shanahan's long time assistant in Denver so any team that loses on Shanahan would consider Kubiak a good consolation prize. Unlike Shanahan, Kubiak will coach and not necessarily demand full control.

Mike Shanahan will end up somewhere that will give him maximum control including having a big say in hiring a GM. He will demand roster control. I could see him in Oakland and Mark Davis firing Reggie McKenzie. Young QB...gobs of cap space - huge upside.

I like Todd Bowles and I think this is his year. I could see him in CHICAGO as the second coming of Lovie Smith or NEW YORK, although I think New York will go offense with...

Kyle Shanahan, Frank Reich, or Gary Kubiak...If Kyle Shanahan does not follow his father he could end up in NY with an offer he cannot refuse. Also, the longer the GM role goes unfilled the more attractive NY could be to both the Shanahan's.

San Francisco will be the team that goes for the young coordinator happy to have his first HC job. The safe, obvious choices for them would be Adam Gase or Dan Quinn. I think Dan Quinn sneaks in and somewhat surprisingly gets this job with a ringing endorsement from Pete Carroll. Darell Bevell will wait around in his great situation until Pete Carroll decides to retire and hope to be the heir apparent.

ATLANTA - REX RYAN

BUFFALO - FRANK REICH

CHICAGO BEARS - TODD BOWLES

NEW YORK JETS - GARY KUBIAK

OAKLAND - MIKE SHANAHAN (HC/GM) AND/OR KYLE SHANAHAN (ASST. HC/OC)

SAN FRANCISCO - DAN QUINN

I could be 100% wrong but at least it's more than a guess...or maybe it's not. As a fan, I really like Pat Shurmur in Buffalo for a lot of reasons but he would not be a sexy choice for the Pegulas. I like Frank Reich in Buffalo, too, and I really think he and Whaley could grow together if allowed.

We shall see...

My guess:

Jets - Dan Quinn

Bears - Doug Marrone

49ers - Mike Shanahan

Falcons - Rex Ryan

Raiders - Pep Hamilton

Bills - Adam Gase

Jets- Doug Marrone - "If" Mike Maccagnan is the new GM.

Bears- Gary Kubiak

49ers- Vic Fangio

Falcons- Josh McDaniels

Raiders- Jack Del Rio

Bills- Mike Shanahan, If Russ Brandon gets his way

Jets - Marrone

Bears - Marrone

49ers - Marrone

Raiders - Marrone

Falcons - Ryan, with Marrone as OC

Bills - Bevell

I realize this will create issues for the NFL schedulers, but I really think Marrone can handle all of these jobs at once.

More importantly, Marrone thinks he can handle all of these jobs at once. :thumbsup:

Opt out clause?

They had Chris Mortensen on Atl radio yesterday morning. They asked if anyone had been offered a HC job and he said no at first. He then quickly said' well Bill Cowher was offered the Buffalo job and he declined'.

I think

Jets- McDaniels

Bears- Gase

49ers- Bowles

Raiders-Kubiak

Atl- Ryan(think he gets them a SB within 3 years)

Buffalo- Bevell

He was Tebow's QB coach and they WON a playoff game. That's impressive in my book.

Denver's offense was horrible with Tebow.

Gase gets extraordinary high marks from everyone. I think that he and Quinn are probably the two highest prospects out there as far as the league circles. I think the Bills are as high on him as everyone else is.

Who doesn't get high marks with Manning?

My guess:

Jets - Dan Quinn

Bears - Doug Marrone

49ers - Mike Shanahan

Falcons - Rex Ryan

Raiders - Pep Hamilton

Bills - Adam Gase

This is a cool topic:

Jets--Dan Quinn

Bears--Pep Hamilton

49ers--Mike Shanahan

Falcons--Rex Ryan

Raiders--HC stays, or Adam Gase

Bills--Schwartz

Edited by RyanC883

Denver's offense was horrible with Tebow.

Who doesn't get high marks with Manning?

I never heard that he called teams about how great Jim Caldwell was, although it's possible. And Manning is highly critical of people, too. That is not at all the only reason. Everyone seems to love the guy. Martz hired him. Nick Saban. I havent read anything at all except how smart and great he is.

My guess:

Jets - Dan Quinn

Bears - Doug Marrone

49ers - Mike Shanahan

Falcons - Rex Ryan

Raiders - Pep Hamilton

Bills - Adam Gase

OMG I laughed until I choked. I would love to see "St Doug" in Chicago. Cutler would eat him for breakfast like a big fat donut. The media would serve him up like Chicago Style Pizza. He would go rant and rave about how he needs bigger fatter OLmen and the Bears FO staff would give him a look like Al Capone facing a cockroach.

I am not sure what to expect, except that apparently the Bills spent about 40 minutes on the ground in Denver, which kind of sounds as though one side or the other heard something that amounted to "thanks but No Thanks" in the early going with Adam Gase. I hope that's right.

Ryan to the Falcons and Pep Hamilton to the Raiders would be pretty good fits. And Shanahan is one of the few coaches who could stand apart from Harbaugh just by being who he is.

Edited by Hopeful

Guys, there is no way Shanahan is going to San Fran. They don't want a strong coach over there who will clash with the front office because after the Harbaugh thing everyone should realize the Baalke is top dog there.

Buffalo or Oakland is exactly the situation that Shanahan is probably looking for: somewhere with a rudderless FO and a weakened GM where he can come in and run the show. Like Carroll in SEA or Kelly in PHI.

Plus, Pegula wants to make a splash here and really change the league's view of the Bills IMO. Shanahan would do that. We are meeting with so many candidates as much to get the word out about us as we are interviewing. If it's true that we offered the job to Cowher then I would think that Shanahan is our top choice.

OAK - Sparano

ATL - McDaniels

CHI - Quinn

NYJ - Marrone

SF - Gase

BUF - Shanahan

Edited by BrooklynBills

Here is how I look at it with what I see as a longshot at each job.

Jets - Dan Quinn as Doug Marrone supposedly did not do well in interview; longshot Jim Mora

Oakland - Jack Del Rio; longshot Darrell Bevell

Bears - Todd Bowles; longshot Adam Gase

Atlanta - Rex Ryan or Josh McDaniels; longshot Doug Marrone

SF - Mike Shanahan or Dan Quinn; longshot Jim Tomsula, SF DL coach

Bills - Mike Shanahan or Frank Reich. If Shanahan, his son Kyle would come over as OC; longshot Pep Hamilton. In all cases, Jim Schwartz may get promotion to assistant head coach. I only see an offensive minded HC for the Bills.

Doug Whaley will get canned, especially after dictating that E.J. Manuel must be groomed. If Shanahan is the one, look for Bills to trade for Kirk Cousins who Shanahan had in Washington or Jay Cutler who had his best years under Shanahan. If Reich is selected, look for Brandon also to leave and Polian to take over after the HOF voting. Then Bills go aggressive after Sam Bradford and/or Chase Daniels. Possible GM - A.J. Smith

Doug Whaley will get canned, especially after dictating that E.J. Manuel must be groomed. If Shanahan is the one, look for Bills to trade for Kirk Cousins who Shanahan had in Washington or Jay Cutler who had his best years under Shanahan. If Reich is selected, look for Brandon also to leave and Polian to take over after the HOF voting. Then Bills go aggressive after Sam Bradford and/or Chase Daniels. Possible GM - A.J. Smith

What is he supposed to say? EJ is a 1st round pick who has played 14 games. He does need to be developed. He is still an asset who has support in the organization and the new coach needs to know that. However, saying that does not mean Whaley does not bring in other QB's to compete for the job. He said at the season ending presser that he's looking for one or two more QB's in the off-season.

A vet QB is coming by trade or free agency. And they probably draft one as well. neither of those options guarantee a night and day difference between their play and EJ's, as we saw with Orton. So all options need to remain on the table, including EJ's development in the midst of a competition for the job. And you got nerve to mention Kirk Cousins one sentence after saying Whaley will be fired for dicatating EJ must be groomed. Did you see the grease fire that was Cousins last season? The man who was so bad he went from starter to 3rd team?? You seem willing to trust someone to develop him, why not EJ. He's bigger, stronger, more mobile than Cousins. ijs.

Edited by purple haze

Guys, there is no way Shanahan is going to San Fran. They don't want a strong coach over there who will clash with the front office because after the Harbaugh thing everyone should realize the Baalke is top dog there.

Buffalo or Oakland is exactly the situation that Shanahan is probably looking for: somewhere with a rudderless FO and a weakened GM where he can come in and run the show. Like Carroll in SEA or Kelly in PHI.

Plus, Pegula wants to make a splash here and really change the league's view of the Bills IMO. Shanahan would do that. We are meeting with so many candidates as much to get the word out about us as we are interviewing. If it's true that we offered the job to Cowher then I would think that Shanahan is our top choice.

OAK - Sparano

ATL - McDaniels

CHI - Quinn

NYJ - Marrone

SF - Gase

BUF - Shanahan

This is exactly right as the 49ers wouldn't give Jim Harbaugh player control, so I highly doubt GM Trent Baalke gives up any power to Shanahan. Same thing with Oakland, and Reggie McKenzie, and in fact the way the FO is structured in Oakland is giving people who have already interviewed second thoughts.

The Bills could give Mike Shanahan player control power over the offensive side, and keep Whaley for the defensive side. The best of both worlds, as long as Whaley stops bringing in scrubs for the O line.