True cost of Bills' Watkins trade

well, the rumor i heard is that Chuck pagano is walking out of Indianapolis as soon as this season is over as that fool Grigson traded a first for a RB, in a league where RB has been devalued ...and traded Hughes for Sheppard. I mean i am sure he did not agree with those trades...he has every right to walk out now...cause you know he was in charge of the 53 :wallbash:

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a dumb move and Marrone was right. We keep the pick the Bills then could have bolstered the O line and then drafted a viable QB option like Carr. A much better scenario for the Bills. Tack on what we now seem to know that Marrone didn't want EJ and you realize the no win catch 22 predicament he was in. He's tasked to build an offense then is totally hamsrtinged by Whaley about personnel decisions. You can't hire somebody to do a job then put roadblocks in his way. And he still got the team to 9-7 with a cowardly sloth as the best option at QB. I would have opted out too once I learned that it wasn't going to change.

Why dont you go start a fan website for that fat ass quitter, he's not here anymore we don't give a rats ass about him, and your not going to change anyones mind about how he went from "your stuck with me, Too Quitter"

That's not true at all. They wanted to get vertical as much as possible. Thats why they spent a 1st on QB and 2nd on WR in 2013, and effectively 2 1sts and a 4th in 2014. Problem is they just weren't effective doing it

Clearly, an offensive philosophy which features 3 TE sets and keeping two of your biggest deep threats (Goodwin / Williams) on the shelf for most of the year demonstrates that "they" wanted to get vertical as much as possible. :lol:

Just when I think your football knowledge has hit rock bottom, you manage to top yourself. Well done, JTSP. Well done INdeed.

Clearly, an offensive philosophy which features 3 TE sets and keeping two of your biggest deep threats (Goodwin / Williams) on the shelf for most of the year demonstrates that "they" wanted to get vertical as much as possible. :lol:

Just when I think your football knowledge has hit rock bottom, you manage to top yourself. Well done, JTSP. Well done INdeed.

Greggy T...lookie lookie...we agree on something else :lol::worthy:

Yeah but on what team once he becomes a free agent?

Please...Buffalo has, for the last 5 years or so, re-signed nearly every priority FA. There are a few exceptions like Levitre, and Byrd after they tagged him, but for the most part they've signed far more than they've let go.

We don't actually know what they were going to do. Been rumors about Ebron and Beckham. And they could have xhnaged their mind, taken someone else, or even made another trade.

But for argument sake. Let's say its Ebron. I find it funny that pro-trade crowd is always harping on it being too early to compare watkins and Beckham, yet they've already labeled Ebron a bust.

He told KellytheDog personally that Ebron was the guy. As for the comparisons, you're right that it's too early in general. However, there's a stark difference in comparing two productive players like Beckham and Watkins--vis a vis making the case that QB play and coaching is holding one back more than the other--and comparing a productive player like Watkins to a wholly unproductive player like Ebron, who had 25 catches all season with just 1 TD, despite playing with a former #1 overall pick at QB and two pro bowl caliber WRs.

If Marrone actually objected to the signing of Manuel and trade for Watkins my opinion of him would rise to his being a mediocre coach as opposed to a crummy coach and poor judge of talent. If he didn't have any responsibility for the moves they should fire whoever did. We could have stayed pat and gotten Odell Beckham, Ebron or Tyler Lewan and still had a first round pick in this year's draft. Marrone is not a stand up guy and I suspect he is just trying to weasel out of a collective set of bad decisions.

If Marrone actually objected to the signing of Manuel and trade for Watkins my opinion of him would rise to his being a mediocre coach as opposed to a crummy coach and poor judge of talent. If he didn't have any responsibility for the moves they should fire whoever did. We could have stayed pat and gotten Odell Beckham, Ebron or Tyler Lewan and still had a first round pick in this year's draft. Marrone is not a stand up guy and I suspect he is just trying to weasel out of a collective set of bad decisions.

Admittedly I'm playing Devil's advocate a bit here, so pardon me as I ask: who are we so worried about missing with the 19th pick in this year's draft?

Also, in a slightly less controversial vein: You do realize that the team probably doesn't win the Miami game or the Detroit game if they did what you said, as Watkins made the key plays in each? It's not safe to assume that Beckham (the best case scenario of the 3 you named) makes the same plays given that he didn't even practice until after week 4...

Admittedly I'm playing Devil's advocate a bit here, so pardon me as I ask: who are we so worried about missing with the 19th pick in this year's draft?

Also, in a slightly less controversial vein: You do realize that the team probably doesn't win the Miami game or the Detroit game if they did what you said, as Watkins made the key plays in each? It's not safe to assume that Beckham (the best case scenario of the 3 you named) makes the same plays given that he didn't even practice until after week 4...

One thing I'll give the trade-haters, (and I cant believe Im about to add fuel to their fire) is that without Watkins we lose at least 2-3 more games. Which makes us 7-9, which gives us a better pick than the #19 which supporters like you and I reference. I'll shut up now. But it's funny that the trade-haters will now argue theyd rather have a losing record and no Watkins. Nice fans.

Edited by DrDareustein

That would require 20/20 foresight. Don't see much of that around these parts. Hell, I question the accuracy of our collective hindsight around here.

GO BILLS!!!

Threads like this remind me of the hate portion of my love/hate relationship with this board.

Watkins is a WR stud in every imaginable way.

Just wait til we see him (hopefully) with a competent Qb.

AND **** just wait to the teams with the other Wr's we didnt pick arent often down in a game by 20 points and throwing up gift 9 routes in garbage time (Not talking about OBJ).

But OH NO we missed out on the next Andrew Luck with our 19th overall pick we woulda had in round 1 this year! Wwwaaaahhhh...

not having a 1st round pick cant be helping our search for a new coach too

One thing I'll give the trade-haters, (and I cant believe Im about to add fuel to their fire) is that without Watkins we lose at least 2-3 more games. Which makes us 7-9, which gives us a better pick than the #19 which supporters like you and I reference.

Dr...that is some twisted logic...and i love it.

I liked the trade then, liked it less watching the other guys through the year...

so, i cant be a hypocrite now and say i thought it was a bad move..

But as I mentioned, i don't see other coaches using bad moves by their GMs as reason for trying to get out of coaching gig..

It was a dumb move and Marrone was right. We keep the pick the Bills then could have bolstered the O line and then drafted a viable QB option like Carr. A much better scenario for the Bills. Tack on what we now seem to know that Marrone didn't want EJ and you realize the no win catch 22 predicament he was in. He's tasked to build an offense then is totally hamsrtinged by Whaley about personnel decisions. You can't hire somebody to do a job then put roadblocks in his way. And he still got the team to 9-7 with a cowardly sloth as the best option at QB. I would have opted out too once I learned that it wasn't going to change.

I'm of the belief that it was more Schwartz that got this team to 9-7.

One of the biggest costs of the trade is the ongoing argument over whether it was worth it.

I laughed out loud. Agreed. I've posted on it so many times so I do not have the energy to get into it but for all we know Watkins ends up in the hall of fame. And for all we know we would've drafted some guard who ends up sucking at 19th this year. Just let it go people. Tell ya what, let's re-adjourn in, say, three years and discuss then.

One thing I'll give the trade-haters, (and I cant believe Im about to add fuel to their fire) is that without Watkins we lose at least 2-3 more games. Which makes us 7-9, which gives us a better pick than the #19 which supporters like you and I reference. I'll shut up now. But it's funny that the trade-haters will now argue theyd rather have a losing record and no Watkins. Nice fans.

Perhaps, but you'd have a less talented roster too. There's also no consideration for whether or not the guy such fans pine over (Beckham) would've had anywhere near the same level of success with fewer targets or horrible QB play, like he'd have gotten here.

That would require 20/20 foresight. Don't see much of that around these parts. Hell, I question the accuracy of our collective hindsight around here.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll answer it for them: you're probably talking about a player with a draft grade equal to about the #45 pick from last year's draft...at least if my scouting contacts are to be trusted. I'd be curious if you've heard anything similar?

I don't think it's hurting it. This is a very talented team, and I don't think any coach would be coming here with the assumption that he's going to get his franchise QB at #19 overall in 2015.

When news came from colleague Adam Schefter that former Buffalo Bills head coach Doug Marrone did not approve of the team's decision to trade up in the 2014 NFL draft to select Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins, giving away their 2015 first-round pick in the process, it provided a natural opportunity to assess the merits of the trade.

In many cases -- regardless of whether the transaction is a trade, free-agent signing or draft selection -- there's a tendency to forge a knee-jerk reaction that can prove to be inaccurate in the long term. But while Watkins' career is far from over, based on a multitude of factors involved, it's hard to disagree with the sentiment suggested by Marrone: The decision to trade up for him was not the right move.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12127113&src=desktop

You have bitching about this for as long as I can remember.......so what is another thread on it?

having $30-40 mil cap space smoothes that over

Does anyone know that we actually could have drafted Beckham and kept our first round pick for this year!

we could have had, revis, ngata, watt....etc......