Jets - Dan Quinn the likely hire

It's funny - on the Jets boards, the fans seem to have the opposite take - that Woody J is afraid of the Pegulas and worries that he might get caught. Hence the move away from Marrone.

Can't he accept the job prior to the season ending?

I think with a wink he can. I don't think he officially can. So something could come up in those few weeks to sabotage it where he turns them down after accepting it verbally.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

why would Kyle Shanahan take the same job in NY over his current job in CLE where he at least has an average QB to work with and NY has a mess of an offense? there's no way, he's not that dumb. If he wants another OC job it will be with his dad in Chi or SF

Part of me likes this scenario for the immediate "in your face" satisfaction it will give me. On a deeper level, I really hope he gets the Jets job and we destroy them year, after year, after year. It will just be too fun to root against him to not want him to get the job.

Yeah, that's my conundrum, too. Either way is good. I really don't want the Quinn/ Shanny combo on the Jets. That could work for them. I doubt that Marrone works.

If he's reaching out to coordinators and trying to get everything together I can't imagine the game this weekend has his full attention.

I'm guessing he's making phone calls after practice. I bet he can coach and call people and not let it affect his coaching. Seahawks will be ready to play.

The problem with Marrone in NY is no GM. Casserly said it would be ideal to have a GM in place before hiring a coach, but not a deal breaker. I imagine given his rep, hiring Marrone may have a severe impact on the pool of GM candidates interested in the job.

I think this is very true. Doug Whaley seems like a good guy and easy to get along with. He also was part of the committee that hired him.

Given the above, if you are a potential GM candidate, why in the world would you want to go to a team with a coach who has proven to be a complete back stabber.

Recipe for disaster.

why would Kyle Shanahan take the same job in NY over his current job in CLE where he at least has an average QB to work with and NY has a mess of an offense? there's no way, he's not that dumb. If he wants another OC job it will be with his dad in Chi or SF

I know I'll get ripped for this, but I honestly think Geno has potential. He makes a lot of mistakes, but he throws a nice ball and is reasonably accurate on the deeper stuff.

Jets will eventually hire Marrone... He didn't opt out without a pretty solid idea that he would have a spot to land.

This is just to make it look like they didn't contact him while he was still under contract with the Bills. After all, Woody had a bad tampering week with Revis and Marrone.

The GM they are bringing back for a second interview has ties to St. Doug.

Jets will eventually hire Marrone... He didn't opt out without a pretty solid idea that he would have a spot to land.

This is just to make it look like they didn't contact him while he was still under contract with the Bills. After all, Woody had a bad tampering week with Revis and Marrone.

Assuming they are putting forth a smokescreen, if they do hire Marrone that smokescreen will in no way weaken the credibility of the charge. They may or may not have tampered, but if they did, using agents to start rumors about Quinn 7 days after Marrone became a free man isn't going to convince anyone at all. If Marrone ends up with it, the Quinn rumor will be perceived as the charade that it is. Anyway, isn't Quinn on the surface a more attractive hire?

Edited by dave mcbride

The problem with Marrone in NY is no GM. Casserly said it would be ideal to have a GM in place before hiring a coach, but not a deal breaker. I imagine given his rep, hiring Marrone may have a severe impact on the pool of GM candidates interested in the job.

there were two prospective GM candidates who declined to intvw with them last week when Marrone was considered the front runner.

Assuming they are putting forth a smokescreen, if they do hire Marrone that smokescreen will in no way weaken the credibility of the charge. They may or may not have tampered, but if they did, using agents to start rumors about Quinn 7 days after Marrone became a free man isn't going to convince anyone at all. If Marrone ends up with it, the Quinn rumor will be perceived as the charade that it is. Anyway, isn't Quinn on the surface a more attractive hire?

Yeah but it makes it look a lot less suspicious. Sure, Marrone was a candidate, but they went through a "thorough process, hired a GM, and that guy picked Doug"

Of course we all KNOW it would be BS but proving it is another story. I doubt Terry would bother given the headache.

Good catch, btw.

As it so happens, I like tracking other teams' message boards in situations like this: http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/mike-maccagnan-is-first-gm-candidate-to-get-2nd-interview-w-jets.83090/. Looks like they hold Manish Mehta in the regard as Sullivan is held on this board ...

Woody rushing to the media the second Doug opted out is not a good look. If Doug left the building on Wednesday with everyone believing he would be back and suddenly at the final hour of the clause he decided he was opting out only to have Woody's comments hit the media immediately thereafter the damage is done and you had better believe the charge is coming, regardless of them interviewing everyone and their mother.

I hope the hire him and we charge them. Him taking that job and immediately losing the 6th pick in the draft would be pretty fantastic.

If Marrone did opt out without a pretty lock solid guarantee on a job then he and/or his agent is not very bright.

I think if we've seen anything it is that Marrone/his agent is good at getting St. Doug in good spots for his career.

I would be shocked if St. Doug's agent advised him to make a move that would sabotage his career. Something made St. Doug take the $$ and run, and it wasn't EJ.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Dan Quinn was my pick for the new head coach of the Bills. Since it seems he's very interested in the Jets job and he's from NJ, I think that Quinn was never a realistic option. I certainly don't want another Marrone situation where a guy wants to be the head coach of the home team where he grew up! This seems to be the case with Quinn. I think the Jets are getting a really good head coach and him being there will make it much tougher for the Bills to beat the Jets in the future. It may take a couple of years, but the Jets are going to be a tough team again in the near future.

Which brings me to the Bills head coach search. With the Jets picking Quinn, I'm back to two candidates who have never been NFL head coaches. I think the Bills should NOT go retread. It's too safe, boring and the players and fans can see through this. This team needs to hit one out of the park with a new guy. You don't do that by going safe, you do it by taking chances. Pegula says he likes people that take chances and if that's the case then they should hire a guy who hasn't done it before but there's the promise of a head coach bringing a new, exciting and original brand of football to this franchise. Shanahan (Broncos), Rex (Jets), Schwartz (Lions), Jackson (Raiders) need not apply.

I know I've been back and forth on who I want, but right now I want the Bills to hire either Darrell Bevell or Pep Hamilton as their new head coach. Both guys would be great hires given the Bills bad offense situation. Both guys are effective communicators who have a confident head coaching demeanor with just enough cockiness. Both guys come from highly successful NFL offenses and would be able to provide EJ Manuel proper QB development by giving him a professional coaching experience. They would also work with Whaley on hand picking the other QB(s?) that they think they could win with and who would compete with Manuel in the offseason and training camp. If Schwartz can't handle not getting the job then I'd hire back Perry Fewell in a second. The guy probably still gives Brady and Belichick nightmares. Heck, I may let go Schwartz for Fewell anyways.

As for Frank Reich, he's another safe pick (well known former QB during glory days) that I think the Bills need to avoid. Yes, he's a former Bill and he's extremely smart, but I just don't see him as an effective NFL head coach inspiring 53 players every Sunday to knock the other team's block off. I'm not saying he's not tough at all, I'm just saying that his demeanor doesn't seem commanding enough for the head coaching position.

It's funny that the Jets turning to Quinn has crystalized my thought process regarding the Bills head coaching search, but it has. Bills fans, don't be afraid of not going the safe route. We constantly criticized Marrone for being too safe for good reason, let's hope the Bills don't go "safe" on this decision. Let's be young, new, innovative, creative and exciting! Let's do this!

Edited by 1billsfan