What if our new coach is worse than Marrone?

What if he's waaaaay worse? Has anyone bothered to ask themselves that question?

I know the Buffalo sports media hasn't. I know the professional Bills hater Chris Mortensen hasn't...but that's because no matter what we do, it's wrong....unless of course we hire Tom Donahoe to be GM again. Then Chris will forgive us.

The media ran Marrone out of town(without much thought), and are still killing hiim with story after story. They are the story now.

They are the story, because if whoever we end up with is a regression back to all the terrible coaches we've had since Old Whitey?

They will have to answer for that. You know damn well this board/their twitter/emails accounts will fill up with: "WTF did you do"?

The fans will hold them accountable. And there will be no "right to change my opinion" for them this time.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If our braintrust interviews nearly 20 candidates and comes out with a worse candidate than the offensive guru who can't put points on the board and punts on 4th & 1 with the season on the line while alienating everyone involved, then we can officially give up hope and move on to more productive things with our lives.

Noooope, I only worry about real things...

Oh, so I guess you'll be the first to demand accountability, if the Bills start 0-3 next year against what we already know is a .480 win % schedule with only 2-4 really tough games on it, right? Because that will be..."real". :lol: If that happens I will look forward to your posts.

I wonder how you drive your car, if you only worry about getting into an accident, after, you've already gotten into an accident, because only then is it...real.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

What if he's waaaaay worse? Has anyone bothered to ask themselves that question?

I know the Buffalo sports media hasn't. I know the professional Bills hater Chris Mortensen hasn't...but that's because no matter what we do, it's wrong....unless of course we hire Tom Donahoe to be GM again. Then Chris will forgive us.

The media ran Marrone out of town(without much thought), and are still killing hiim with story after story. They are the story now.

They are the story, because if whoever we end up with is a regression back to all the terrible coaches we've had since Old Whitey?

They will have to answer for that. You know damn well this board/their twitter/emails accounts will fill up with: "WTF did you do"?

The fans will hold them accountable. And there will be no "right to change my opinion" for them this time.

This! This my friend. Is not possible. RELAX

Oh, so I guess you'll be the first to demand accountability, if the Bills start 0-3 next year against what we already know is a schedule with only 2-4 tough games on it, right? Because that will be..."real". :lol:

I wonder how you drive your car, if you only worry about getting into an accident, after, you've already gotten into an accident, because only then is it...real.

You know as well as I do what will happen OC. Each media "expert" who doesn't see "his guy" hired will start surreptitiously undermining the new hire from day 1 with articles questioning their resume and their history. Then when we get to the grind of OTAs and camp they will start with the negative, destructive line of questioning at press conference. Then when we lose one of our pre-season games the "I think the sky is falling" articles will begin. Then should we drop below .500 at some point next season (even after 1 game) they will point out how Marrone was never below .500 in 2014. Then by mid season if we are not atop of the AFC East they will start suggesting that the sensible thing for the Pegulas to do is blow it all up and start again...... and the usual suspects on this board will nod their heads and wag their tails.

Rinse and repeat.

Thats why many here on the board argued in favor of keeping Marorne but i the end it wasn't the teams choice. If you hire a brand new never before HC I'd say the odds are probably 2:1 in favor of him being worse (measured as winning record goes) just simily because more new coaches fail than are huge successes from what I see. Though many of the failures are retreads too.

If our braintrust interviews nearly 20 candidates and comes out with a worse candidate than the offensive guru who can't put points on the board and punts on 4th & 1 with the season on the line while alienating everyone involved, then we can officially give up hope and move on to more productive things with our lives.

The brain trust didn't force Marrone out. The Buffalo media did. Their parrots did.

Thus, if the guy we end up with(and nothing says we will get our first choice, especially given how Marrone has been treated) isn't better than Marrone? It's not the brain trust's fault. They wanted to keep marrone.

No. It's the media and their parrots fault. Period.

Speaking of productive, perhaps the most productive use of our time might be thinking things through, before we start demanding immediate action. This would be helpful in a lot of areas beyond just the Bills.

I've said it a million times..this squad got very "lucky" to get to 9-7....i actually expect a regression next year unless the QB play is dramatically upgraded( and yes that could be with EJ).

Have said all along Marrone knew he was lucky as chit to get to 9 wins, ...why he opted out..he knew the gig was gunna be up next year.

We might win 8 with a new coach, but prolly would have won 5 with Marrone

What if I step outside my home and catch a stray bullet on my way to work???????????????????

Yeah, nothing like redicto ad absurdum, otherwise known as a strawman argument.

Thanks though. You've provided a real world example of exactly what a strawman argument is.

Perhaps some in this thread can learn via this example, and I get to stop hearing the word strawman misused/applied like duct tape, to everything, all the time.

The brain trust didn't force Marrone out. The Buffalo media did. Their parrots did.

Marrone opted out...if he could not handle the media...that is a weakness of character i just do not want in a Head Coach...in any sport. I don't remember Lindy begging out, and friggen Bucky , Jerry and Harrington were just killing him...way worse they ever crucified St Doug.

And Lindy had actually won a conference title ...imagine that!

Edited by plenzmd1

It would be very normal to go from what we had to worse. Such is the life of a BILLS fan! I don't want another Gregggg etc, who "interviewed well" and didn't do much after. IF the BILLS hire someone, and start off the press conference with the "he interviewed so well" line, run for the exits. Having said that, I am forever hopeful that we will find the right person.