What if our new coach is worse than Marrone?

Depends on what you are quitting. If you family are crack addicts and alcoholics, or general a-holes, for any number of reasons, there is 0 weakness in quitting them. In fact that takes more strength than most have. The weak stick around, because they are more afraid of leaving than of the abuse.

There's a lot of absolutist thinking being thrown around here. And I think its because the original question of this thread....It's unsettling for you, isn't it? Contemplating a worse coach than Marrone....after all the absolute statements you've/others have made?

It would really suck, wouldn't it, having to eat those gallons of crow.

This smells like "we have to be right, cause being wrong is catastrophic for us, so we're going to go out and demand that everyone agree with us, and beat down all dissent". It smells like fear, and weakness, to me.

That is why I asked the question in the first place. ;) I didn't start this thread the day of, because I wanted to see the reaction.

I started this thread today....to expose some of the reaction for what it is, and I have.

Don't ever quit on a family member who is an alcoholic etc. Doesn't mean you should enable them....but never quit on them.

I haven't gone 'absolute' on Marrone. I've said I would have been 'fine' with him as the coach next year. I've also said I've no problem with him quitting. I just don't like (based on everything we've heard/read) how he left. I've said he owes the players (not me) more than that. I'm not the least bit unsettled about the potential struggles of our next coach. Every Sunday, I'm convinced the Bills will win. That's a separate issue/disease.

I've no problem with your original question. I addressed that above. In your third paragraph of the OP, you proposed he quit because of the media treatment. I don't believe that. If true, I doubt Doug was 'the guy' to lead us to the top anyway. Why would I eat crow about this?? Win or lose next year.....I won't. Your whole argument is that he was driven out and the Pegula's are forced to pick a new coach. Hence, those who 'drove' Doug away may 'get what they wished for.' It's not accurate in my eyes. He left. His choice.

I'll say this.....I'll gladly eat some crow when Doug issues an apology to his players (again...not because he quit but how). But, that's it. If we suck next year, it's not purely because Doug left. To believe that would be..... absolutist thinking. Too bad we won't ever know how Doug would have done.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See, you(and certainly some of the usual D-bags) miss the point this thread.

I can admit that anything is possible. I...am not the one demanding that "anything is better than Marrone, and that you all better conform to my thinking...or I will call Doug Marrone, and you, names!" be the ONLY POV allowed on this board.

See, I believe in freedom, especially when it comes to expression. Some here (especially the usual D-bags) believe in the opposite = one POV, one party, one...everything, that comes from them, and is therefore absolutely correct. Contradicting them is therefore "immoral". (Which...is why I do it so often :lol:)

Those that demand we all think the same thing = "Marrone is the worst coach eva, and no matter what the next guy will be better! Rack it!"? :rolleyes: I have to ask: why are they are demanding this from us?

As you said, any number of things are possible. Yet, they are contradicting that reality, by demanding that we accept that only one thing is possible.

I offer as an explanation that deep down: the root cause of this behavior is the fear that "What if the next guy is worse than Marrone? Oh man, then I'll feel stupid".

Come now, do you expect anything less?

You begin this response by calling people douchebags, and you follow that up in your second sentence by saying you are not the one demanding people should conform to your way of thinking or you will call them names.

Interesting....

But if Marrone is going to stay an NFL coach, where do you think he's going to go that won't have similar people? I mean, it's fine by me if he said "Life's too short to deal with these idiots" and just retired, but if he really left Buffalo because he doesn't like dealing with the media, he's delusional.

This media, is not the NYC media. Similar doesn't mean the same. They haven't earned that status. Marrone going to the Jets(and please, I don't care, so don't bother telling me about it), and dealing with that media? Yeah, those guys are the NFL of media. Buffalo has pissants pretending to be those guys.

There is a difference, and any HC can look at the Buffalo News, which is essentially a non-profit/money-losing organization and say "Come on, who the F do you think you are, acting like you're Tony Reale? You ain't him, so spare me the antics. You don't work for the Dallas Morning News, so let's not get to big for our britches, mmkay? Those guys win awards. You ain't schit."

I hardly think any NFL coach is going to sign up to take the, again, disproportionate crap after the first winning season in 10 years(and spare me the excuses, "you are what your record says you are" has been the standard for this board, forever) offered by this band of never-bes.

What QB's has Chip developed? Please, show me.

What "genuine" HC do you want? Are you sure he'll have a better record than 9-7 next year?

Also, hiring a good staff is integral to being an HC. The success of our D is fully awarded to the success Marrone had hiring good coaches.

You're kiddin' right?

Do you really think anyone else other than Chip Kelly could have possibly helped Foles elevate his game and amass all the offensive production they managed to achieve in just their first year together...meanwhile, there's Marrone and his inept OC playing 3 & Out like a broken record.

You begin this response by calling people douchebags, and you follow that up in your second sentence by saying you are not the one demanding people should conform to your way of thinking or you will call them names.

Interesting....

Yes, it is. And if you think that isn't there for a reason....

But it is. And you've found it. +1 for you.

Nothing like including an example of the behavior I am identifying...for those smart enough to get it.

EDIT: I mean, it is hilarious, because I often get away with this sort of thing(mostly when DC_Tom isn't around to ruin everything). But you caught it.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

This media, is not the NYC media. Similar doesn't mean the same. They haven't earned that status. Marrone going to the Jets(and please, I don't care, so don't bother telling me about it), and dealing with that media? Yeah, those guys are the NFL of media. Buffalo has pissants pretending to be those guys.

There is a difference, and any HC can look at the Buffalo News, which is essentially a non-profit/money-losing organization and say "Come on, who the F do you think you are, acting like you're Tony Reale? You ain't him, so spare me the antics. You don't work for the Dallas Morning News, so let's not get to big for our britches, mmkay? Those guys win awards. You ain't schit."

I hardly think any NFL coach is going to sign up to take the, again, disproportionate crap after the first winning season in 10 years(and spare me the excuses, "you are what your record says you are" has been the standard for this board, forever) offered by this band of never-bes.

Hey man, if you think the Buffalo media is crap, I'm right there with you. I'd have a lot more respect for Marrone if he just said that and ignored them. But saying that he quit because of them is really giving them a level of influence that, frankly, they don't merit. And it really makes Marrone look weak.

You're kiddin' right?

Do you really think anyone else other than Chip Kelly could have possibly helped Foles elevate his game and amass all the offensive production they managed to achieve in just their first year together...meanwhile, there's Marrone and his inept OC playing 3 & Out like a broken record.

Foles was a fluke. Chip didn't even play him until Vick got hurt, and he's the sole reason for his 2013 success?

We all saw how Foles came back to earth in 2014 with Chip "developing him."

Don't ever quit on a family member who is an alcoholic etc. Doesn't mean you should enable them....but never quit on them.

I haven't gone 'absolute' on Marrone. I've said I would have been 'fine' with him as the coach next year. I've also said I've no problem with him quitting. I just don't like (based on everything we've heard/read) how he left. I've said he owes the players (not me) more than that. I'm not the least bit unsettled about the potential struggles of our next coach. Every Sunday, I'm convinced the Bills will win. That's a separate issue/disease.

I've no problem with your original question. I addressed that above. In your third paragraph of the OP, you proposed he quit because of the media treatment. I don't believe that. If true, I doubt Doug was 'the guy' to lead us to the top anyway. Why would I eat crow about this?? Win or lose next year.....I won't. Your whole argument is that he was driven out and the Pegula's are forced to pick a new coach. Hence, those who 'drove' Doug away may 'get what they wished for.' It's not accurate in my eyes. He left. His choice.

I'll say this.....I'll gladly eat some crow when Doug issues an apology to his players (again...not because he quit but how). But, that's it. If we suck next year, it's not purely because Doug left. To believe that would be..... absolutist thinking. Too bad we won't ever know how Doug would have done.

All of this is just fine. And, I would argue that quitting on an alcoholic doesn't mean forever. They need to hit bottom. Period. Once they have, and have committed to getting help, that's when it's time to come back, immediately.

Look, the media treatment is merely a counter-point, valid or not, to the "official reasons"....nothing more than random speculation pieced together by obviously planted stories...he left.

The point of using media treatment is to illustrate reality: the "official reasons" are just as likely to be cannards as my media treatment "reason".

I don't KNOW it was media treatment any more than anyone else KNOWs it was because Marrone is an "egomaniac".

The point here is: you may have not gone "absolute" on thing like "egomaniac" but others have, without a shred of hard evidence to support any of it.

I am tired of this site looking like what I imagine TMZ looks like.

Enough is enough.

Hey man, if you think the Buffalo media is crap, I'm right there with you. I'd have a lot more respect for Marrone if he just said that and ignored them. But saying that he quit because of them is really giving them a level of influence that, frankly, they don't merit. And it really makes Marrone look weak.

See the above.

I could have said something else, like, Marrone was sick of having no O line, and substandard QBs 2 years in a row, and that's why he quit. But, the Buffalo media is more fun to screw with.

In the end, all of this illustrates the point that the wild-eyed Marrone bomb throwers have no more evidence and/or substantive arguments for why he left....than I do for blaming the Buffalo media.

In the end, all of this illustrates the point that the wild-eyed Marrone bomb throwers have no more evidence and/or substantive arguments for why he left....than I do for blaming the Buffalo media.

Again...many of us are just upset with HOW he left...not why. I see the point you're making but when you pick such an egregious 'reason' you know responses are coming. You know your reputation and willingness to argue precede you..... so how is one to know when you're playing games or taking a serious stance?

It's Marrone like....just say what you mean.

See what I did there? :nana:

What if he's waaaaay worse? Has anyone bothered to ask themselves that question?

I know the Buffalo sports media hasn't. I know the professional Bills hater Chris Mortensen hasn't...but that's because no matter what we do, it's wrong....unless of course we hire Tom Donahoe to be GM again. Then Chris will forgive us.

The media ran Marrone out of town(without much thought), and are still killing hiim with story after story. They are the story now.

They are the story, because if whoever we end up with is a regression back to all the terrible coaches we've had since Old Whitey?

They will have to answer for that. You know damn well this board/their twitter/emails accounts will fill up with: "WTF did you do"?

The fans will hold them accountable. And there will be no "right to change my opinion" for them this time.

he ran himself out of town, any coach that can't handle the media pressure is Not For Long.

If the coach is worse we get a new one.

Marrone sympathizers are ridicules.

I know that a winning organization does not have 3 different HC's in 4 years.

Nah if they don't make at least the play offs fire their asses get someone new in. We are building a wwwiiiiiiiinnnnnnnneeeerrrrrr.

And of course you know that if someone came in and made the play offs his first two years and lost both times in the first round it'd be time to fire his ass too.

Any Head Coach worth his salt goes for every 4th down in every game and wins the Superbowl in his first year. It is obvious. Obviously.

The brain trust didn't force Marrone out. The Buffalo media did. Their parrots did.

Possibly the worst take I've ever read on this board. And if it is even remotely true, then no Bills fan should want Saint Doug within 500 miles of this franchise, and no coach they bring in will be worse.

Period.

Again...many of us are just upset with HOW he left...not why. I see the point you're making but when you pick such an egregious 'reason' you know responses are coming. You know your reputation and willingness to argue precede you..... so how is one to know when you're playing games or taking a serious stance?

It's Marrone like....just say what you mean.

See what I did there? :nana:

Sure. But the better question is: do you see what I did with this thread?

It cannot have operated as desgined...if I started with some sort of meeting agenda memo detailing the objectives. It was designed to provoke the very responses it did...with the express purpose of exposing them as silly.

You want me to say what I mean? No problem.

Enough with:

1. The TMZ nonsense here.

2. The "cover my ass...by running Marrone down so low, that the next coach has to be "better", by default, even if he only win 2 games" nonsense here.

3. The speculation and planted stories being treated as Holy Writ. We banned Bleacher Report links here. Why? Speculative and/or fact-free nonsense written by morons.

We don't do 1-3 on this board. We do objective, thoughtful analysis...on the football board anyway. ;) Enough with the crap, especially from posters who know and can do better.

My serious opinion is that other than defending Marrone's decision to walk away which I don't I agree with OC's sentiment. The level of criticism of a man who had clearly got things going in the right direction was frankly embarrassing. I can see why Marrone was fed up of it I really can. I just think the real show of character was to stand there and front up. And I speak from experience I have been in the position Marrone was in. And whilst my critics weren't in the media so it was less public they were there in the stands on the side of the field every game shouting their ignorant opinions... it was more personal.

Their sycophancy when I completed the turn around was hypocritical in the extreme and I let them know I remembered.

Possibly the worst take I've ever read on this board. And if it is even remotely true, then no Bills fan should want Saint Doug within 500 miles of this franchise, and no coach they bring in will be worse.

Period.

What if our new coach is better than Marrone?

What if he is better?

Nuff said.

Late to the party.

Read my post above. I'm tired of "the next coach will 100% be better than Marrone, because if he isn't, I will look stupid, so I better keep running Marrone down as low as I can get him to go" save-ass behavior....that relies on TMZ-type reporting to fuel it.

That's what this is about.

My serious opinion is that other than defending Marrone's decision to walk away which I don't I agree with OC's sentiment. The level of criticism of a man who had clearly got things going in the right direction was frankly embarrassing. I can see why Marrone was fed up of it I really can. I just think the real show of character was to stand there and front up. And I speak from experience I have been in the position Marrone was in. And whilst my critics weren't in the media so it was less public they were there in the stands on the side of the field every game shouting their ignorant opinions... it was more personal.

Their sycophancy when I completed the turn around was hypocritical in the extreme and I let them know I remembered.

Sure, that's probably what you and I would do. And we'd enjoy the sycophants, and torture them accordingly, or at least I would :lol:

But, Marrone decided to play his hand a different way. That doesn't mean he has character problems or that he's an egomaniac :lol::rolleyes: All it means is that he played his hand a different way.

I'm not defending the guy, but I am defending his right to play his hand his way, without being called an egomaniac by this board, because we got that word from a fired Syracuse assistant coach who has yet to get another coaching job.

Edited by OCinBuffalo