What if our new coach is worse than Marrone?

It's hard for the offense, and in game decisions to be much worse. It really is. He did some good things. But overall, if the defense is in Schwartz's hands, it's hard for this team to be much worse. Time after time after time after time they put the offense in a good position. The offense had playmakers. The St were good and that was mostly because of carpenter, schmidt , Easley, Graham, dixon and Starters. Not a genius concept.

I don't disagree at all. The offense was a disaster. I have said on here in a few places that I thought that Marrone's best spot was as a pro HC. His strength was in "X's" & "O's" or in game decisions (honestly, he wasn't smart enough). His strength was in instilling a physical mentality and changing the culture (some). The Bills handed away a zillion games late prior to him getting here and that turned some this year. He knew what it took to put together a good operation but was too stubborn to have the right people either in or empowered within that operation.

I am by no means devastated (or even upset) to see him go but he did a decent job. We could have (and have) had worse. We could certainly have better as well.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What if I step outside my home and catch a stray bullet on my way to work???????????????????

Since you're in Chicago you should really consider that possibility. Maybe write your blood type on your loafers? Pin a list of known allergies to your shirt? Just be prepared.

OC, can you admit that a better coach may end up with a worse record?

I say the Bills got crazy lucky to win 9 games this year...I believe they got way more than their share of breaks and were freaky healthy

That being said, i think a better coach under those circumstances wins 11 games this year...

Next year injuries, FA defections, etc could all point to less wins, but a better coach...is that possible in your mind?

I don't disagree at all. The offense was a disaster. I have said on here in a few places that I thought that Marrone's best spot was as a pro HC. His strength was in "X's" & "O's" or in game decisions (honestly, he wasn't smart enough). His strength was in instilling a physical mentality and changing the culture (some). The Bills handed away a zillion games late prior to him getting here and that turned some this year. He knew what it took to put together a good operation but was too stubborn to have the right people either in or empowered within that operation.

I am by no means devastated (or even upset) to see him go but he did a decent job. We could have (and have) had worse. We could certainly have better as well.

I agree with all of that. I guess the point is, two ways of looking at it. If you think a different head coach would have hired a different DC than Pettine or Schwartz, the Bills could have been worse. If you think a different HC couldn't have put Marcel Dareus back together again, which I give Marrone a HUGE amount of credit for, then we could have done worse. But if you look at it from a POV of if we had a different offensive hire, a guy that was a legit HC candidate, with these same players and defensive coaches, it's hard for me to imagine much worse.

I say the Bills got crazy lucky to win 9 games this year...I believe they got way more than their share of breaks and were freaky healthy

That being said, i think a better coach under those circumstances wins 11 games this year...

Next year injuries, FA defections, etc could all point to less wins, but a better coach...is that possible in your mind?

No one is disputing a better coach would make the team better, but that is no certainty. The fact of the matter is that the general consensus on this board is that ANY coach would be better.

We weren't that healthy, by the way. Kiko, McKelvin, Gilmore, Dareus, AW, Chris Williams, Sammy etc were all hurt at one point.

What if he's waaaaay worse? Has anyone bothered to ask themselves that question?

I know the Buffalo sports media hasn't. I know the professional Bills hater Chris Mortensen hasn't...but that's because no matter what we do, it's wrong....unless of course we hire Tom Donahoe to be GM again. Then Chris will forgive us.

The media ran Marrone out of town(without much thought), and are still killing hiim with story after story. They are the story now.

They are the story, because if whoever we end up with is a regression back to all the terrible coaches we've had since Old Whitey?

They will have to answer for that. You know damn well this board/their twitter/emails accounts will fill up with: "WTF did you do"?

The fans will hold them accountable. And there will be no "right to change my opinion" for them this time.

Lather, rinse, repeat...always repeat.

OK, I am pretty sure you are not serious here..but lets say you are.

Strength is running from a challenge..okay

Strength is believing in, and taking to heart criticism, from, in your word..."morons"...

Hah...see you have achieved you goal...14 replies added while i was typing this

How is taking anything a moron has to say "to heart" an example of anything other than idiocy? :wacko: Marrone didn't have to take anything "to heart", he could simply have scoffed at it, and made the choice to leave, because none of this is worth his time.

Strength? Buddy, I am a consultant, which means I routinely have to listen to some moronic things from time to time. That does require strength. However, it also means that I can and have fired clients when I decided there were more trouble than they were worth, and our time is better spent elsewhere. That also requires strength.

I can name names in the Buffalo media who have demonstrated their status as morons on multiple occasions, and are more trouble than they are worth. You want a list? I can post it.

Walking away from morons/an untenable situation, never constitutes walking away from "a challenge". Especially when there are other "challenges" out there that either don't include dealing with morons, or, let's be realisitic here, mean dealing with significantly less morons.

I agree with all of that. I guess the point is, two ways of looking at it. If you think a different head coach would have hired a different DC than Pettine or Schwartz, the Bills could have been worse. If you think a different HC couldn't have put Marcel Dareus back together again, which I give Marrone a HUGE amount of credit for, then we could have done worse. But if you look at it from a POV of if we had a different offensive hire, a guy that was a legit HC candidate, with these same players and defensive coaches, it's hard for me to imagine much worse.

That is kind of what I was getting at. There was some good and some bad. This team can definitely do better but he wasn't Rich Kotite (even though many on this board will try to remember him that way). He was an arrogant, egomaniac that helped put the team on the right track and then tried to throw a grenade on it on the way out.

No one is disputing a better coach would make the team better, but that is no certainty. The fact of the matter is that the general consensus on this board is that ANY coach would be better.

We weren't that healthy, by the way. Kiko, McKelvin, Gilmore, Dareus, AW, Chris Williams, Sammy etc were all hurt at one point.

Kiko was only significant injury, and that happened way before training camp when it could at least be addressed. And in this league, the Bills were extremely fortunate injury wise this year in my mind.

I agree no certainty coach is better, but i just think we can do better both on, and of much less importance, off the field.

That's a big IF. Especially if him and Whaley were not on the same page, which it sounds like they weren't.

I didn't see anyone calling Harbaugh a quitter, who left due to bouts with the FO. Kinda similar, in that regard.

Because Harbaugh didn't quit; however, Doug "abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone did so in a cape with a bright Q across the chest.

Guess some people aren't stand up guys who are loyal, true and faithful to the very end, they just bail by asking someone else to forward a 2nd hand text to the people who gave them all they had for 17 weeks. Two things people won't confuse Marrone with: A class act or Chip Kelly, a winner...

How is taking anything a moron has to say "to heart" an example of anything other than idiocy? :wacko: Marrone didn't have to take anything "to heart", he could simply have scoffed at it, and made the choice to leave, because none of this is worth his time.

Strength? Buddy, I am a consultant, which means I routinely have to listen to some moronic things from time to time. That does require strength. However, it also means that I can and have fired clients when I decided there were more trouble than they were worth, and our time is better spent elsewhere. That also requires strength.

I can name names in the Buffalo media who have demonstrated their status as morons on multiple occasions, and are more trouble than they are worth. You want a list? I can post it.

Walking away from morons/an untenable situation, never constitutes walking away from "a challenge". Especially when there are other "challenges" out there that either don't include dealing with morons, or, let's be realisitic here, mean dealing with significantly less morons.

But if Marrone is going to stay an NFL coach, where do you think he's going to go that won't have similar people? I mean, it's fine by me if he said "Life's too short to deal with these idiots" and just retired, but if he really left Buffalo because he doesn't like dealing with the media, he's delusional.

Thank you for this...kinda knew what i was dealing with up front, the "buddy" "i am a consultant who walks all the time"..just surprised you left out the "make 6 figures and i have an important job"...kinda confirmed for me.

And if you are suggesting, which i think you are, Marrone was better off to walk cause of the "morons" in the media....well again just confirms for me who the "moron" is. If he walked for a 100 other reasons..okay. But cause the media said bad things about him????????

Edited by plenzmd1

Because Harbaugh didn't quit; however, Doug "abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone did so in a cape with a bright Q across the chest.

Guess some people aren't stand up guys who are loyal, true and faithful to the very end, they just bail by asking someone else to forward a 2nd hand text to the people who gave them all they had for 17 weeks. Two things people won't confuse Marrone with: A class act or Chip Kelly, a winner...

Lol. Ask Logan Mankins about loyalty.

Harbaugh left his team because he was too much a kitty to show loyalty to his players and stay with the FO. He left.

Who hired those guys?

What side of the ball has this organization been dumping draft picks and pricey free agents in over the last 4 years?

Soooo, given your logic, he does better evaluating coaching talent than actually developing athletes and producing a championship caliber contender year in and year out?

Let's skip the middle guy altogether, bring in a genuine HC who compliments the people he brings in rather than wage a self-centered hissy fit when they out shine him.

Amazes me that someone like Chip Kelly would have fully developed EJ in his sleep, yet Marrone and his inept OC couldn't even do it with the guy actually standing near them. Go figure.

That is kind of what I was getting at. There was some good and some bad. This team can definitely do better but he wasn't Rich Kotite (even though many on this board will try to remember him that way). He was an arrogant, egomaniac that helped put the team on the right track and then tried to throw a grenade on it on the way out.

He certainly wasn't Richie - who was 21-11 after two seasons and a playoff berth

Soooo, given your logic, he does better evaluating coaching talent than actually developing athletes and producing a championship caliber contender year in and year out?

Let's skip the middle guy altogether, bring in a genuine HC who compliments the people he brings in rather than wage a self-centered hissy fit when they out shine him.

Amazes me that someone like Chip Kelly would have fully developed EJ in his sleep, yet Marrone and his inept OC couldn't even do it with the guy actually standing near them. Go figure.

What QB's has Chip developed? Please, show me.

What "genuine" HC do you want? Are you sure he'll have a better record than 9-7 next year?

Also, hiring a good staff is integral to being an HC. The success of our D is fully awarded to the success Marrone had hiring good coaches.

Edited by FireChan

See, you(and certainly some of the usual D-bags) miss the point this thread.

I can admit that anything is possible. I...am not the one demanding that "anything is better than Marrone, and that you all better conform to my thinking...or I will call Doug Marrone, and you, names!" be the ONLY POV allowed on this board.

See, I believe in freedom, especially when it comes to expression. Some here (especially the usual D-bags) believe in the opposite = one POV, one party, one...everything, that comes from them, and is therefore absolutely correct. Contradicting them is therefore "immoral". (Which...is why I do it so often :lol:)

Those that demand we all think the same thing = "Marrone is the worst coach eva, and no matter what the next guy will be better! Rack it!"? :rolleyes: I have to ask: why are they are demanding this from us?

As you said, any number of things are possible. Yet, they are contradicting that reality, by demanding that we accept that only one thing is possible.

I offer as an explanation that deep down: the root cause of this behavior is the fear that "What if the next guy is worse than Marrone? Oh man, then I'll feel stupid".

wow 5 paged in less than 2 hours!!!

way to touch on a sore spot!!

Come now, do you expect anything less?

Lol. Ask Logan Mankins about loyalty.

Harbaugh left his team because he was too much a kitty to show loyalty to his players and stay with the FO. He left.

and Marrone left his own men in limbo, but somehow that's okay, right? (it's the classic Marrone hollow speech about "family" and "team" that essentially equates into "Do as I say, not as I do").

While we are comparing Mr. MereText and Harbaugh, seems the University of Michigan has chosen a new HC (worth some $48 million over the years). Which of the two do you suppose convinced a university president to entrust his football program to?