New OC for the Jets: Larry David?

LA Grant

Larry David is lobbying (half-jokingly, obviously) to be the OC for the Jets. :lol:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24942276/larry-david-wants-to-be-jets-offensive-coordinator

Honestly, if they hired Larry David, that would be the only way I'd be scared of the Jets. Its the only way I can see them being creative.

To make a somewhat more serious point, I do think he's right about one thing: I don't think coaching football is as hard as it's made out to be. It's just that the jobs tend to go to people in the system, in the general good ol' boys club, and there's really no way for anyone to get into it without clawing their way in somehow. Being related is definitely the easiest way.

But it's definitely not rocket science. Honestly, I think if you could crowd-source personnel or coaching decisions to the fans, they would be right at least as much as the coaches. There were people on TSW calling for Russell Wilson. Virtually every game is broadcast and therefore scoutable. I don't know that I could be convinced that the people working in the NFL in coaching or GMing are actually more capable than the fans. Maybe I'm completely wrong, I just think they're all full of it. It's a big layer of gibberish laid over what is essentially relatively simple chess moves. A guy like Doug Marrone was a head coach in the NFL and I think in an IQ contest, Larry David would win overwhelmingly. I bet with a little training, he'd do better, too. :lol:

Edited by LA Grant

Larry David is lobbying (half-jokingly, obviously) to be the OC for the Jets. :lol:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24942276/larry-david-wants-to-be-jets-offensive-coordinator

Honestly, if they hired Larry David, that would be the only way I'd be scared of the Jets. Its the only way I can see them being creative.

To make a somewhat more serious point, I do think he's right about one thing: I don't think coaching football is as hard as it's made out to be. It's just that the jobs tend to go to people in the system, in the general good ol' boys club, and there's really no way for anyone to get into it without clawing their way in somehow. Being related is definitely the easiest way.

But it's definitely not rocket science. Honestly, I think if you could crowd-source personnel or coaching decisions to the fans, they would be right at least as much as the coaches. There were people on TSW calling for Russell Wilson. Virtually every game is broadcast and therefore scoutable. I don't know that I could be convinced that the people working in the NFL in coaching or GMing are actually more capable than the fans. Maybe I'm completely wrong, I just think they're all full of it. It's a big layer of gibberish laid over what is essentially relatively simple chess moves. A guy like Doug Marrone was a head coach in the NFL and I think in an IQ contest, Larry David would win overwhelmingly. I bet with a little training, he'd do better, too. :lol:

Gameday decisions is only scratching the surface of what needs to be done as a coach. The offensive coordinator doesn't just doodle "cool" plays.

When I read the title, I thought "Oh some real coach has the same name as the Seinfeld guy".

I had no expectation that the Seinfeld guy was actually doing this: and why I didn't, I'll never know. We are talking about the Jets, and their fans, like Larry David, after all. Although, writing a story is writing a football play and vice versa.

You have a setting(O line), a plot(QB), characters to develop(TE, WR, RB)...so of course a play is a story.

The real difference is: Seinfeld guy gets to make his characters, plot, and setting whatever he wants with a few key strokes. A football coach has to work the the players he has, and can't just change things.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

There is a very funny episode where Larry's wife calls him from a plane that she thinks might crash while he was watching a Jets game and he ignores what he she said because he was so wrapped up in the game.

When she returned home, he defended himself by saying that it was the fourth quarter and the Jets were coming back (or something like that) and of course he would have paid more attention if it had been the first quarter.

Very funny episode.

Edited by Peter

Hey now!

I only know that saying because of Howard Stern and only know David as the creator of the saying.

You're confusing him with Jeffrey Tambor's character on Larry Sanders.

Yup. I was just going to say that.

Love Larry David. I think the Jets should hire him. But I believe they would be a little undisciplined. Curb Your Ethusiasm is about 50% improvised.

Yep, he was talking about that yesterday. The actors all know the basics of the scene, but then it just evolves.

Yep, he was talking about that yesterday. The actors all know the basics of the scene, but then it just evolves.

It's amazing that it's so consistently funny doing it that way, from a 7-8 page outline. And he's always done it that way all these years, although after five years he hired some writers to help him with the plots and stuff.

It's amazing that it's so consistently funny doing it that way, from a 7-8 page outline. And he's always done it that way all these years, although after five years he hired some writers to help him with the plots and stuff.

He's just a genuinely funny guy, without having to try -- and has some fantastic personal stories that made for great episodes of Seinfeld as well as CYE, obviously.

I really want to plan a trip to NYC to catch his Broadway play this spring...