Bills GM wants next coach to revive EJ Manuel

In that case, I'll take Bradford (IF he makes it to FA), Hoyer, and Sanchez over EJ if they are free agents.

In trade, I'll take Cutler (assuming they will trade him)

No idea about the draft, as I don't really follow college football.

My dream scenario (aside from Rex Ryan being HC): Shanahan as HC and a trade for Cutler

So you're pissed that our GM, who scouted EJ, spent a first round draft pick on him and has seen his work ethic over the last 2 years, supports bringing in a coach to help continue his development but you're OK with Hoyer (who shown to be terrible) and Sanchez as being better solutions?

Bradford most likely wont be available and Cutler probably won't either. Both are solid options if they become available but both also have major faults and flaws.

The whole point is, it make perfect sense for the GM to want to continue developing EJ. Nothing in these stories indicates that the GM would not also still be looking outside for better options. But until one becomes available, EJ is the guy. Like it or not.

My expectation is that you will see EJ and Tuel in camp along with a guy like Hoyer, Matt Moore, or someone like that) and a draft pick. Let the best man win. Maybe the draft pick will come in and surprise like Wilson did and take the job away from the more experienced guys ahead of him.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough....

Of course the best case scenario is EJ suddenly looks great. But that doesn't mean you count on it either because it doesn't seem very likely IMO.

For that matter, Frank Reich (beloved former player) coming home to turn EJ into a star and lead his team back to the promised land is something they would make a movie about. But how likely is it?

not incredibly likely. probably a big part of whaley saying they intend to add 2 qbs to the roster too. but its not likely that any of those 3 are going to be great.

if we end up with sanchez and EJ and an open camp competition - im not holding my breath on a super bowl, but sanchez has shown he can manage through the playoffs and im not pretending that EJ playing like a mid tier starter is impossible. you saw orton this year - its not a huge bar to get over for EJ to potentially be a wild card qb and once in the playoffs, all it takes is a few big throws or good matchups and suddenly you are deep. not what id bet my house on, but in the grand scheme, with a GREAT defense EJ could show ok. in a limited sample hes a shade under .500 with a bad line, poor coaching situation, had all kinds of issues at WR and RB at times (started goodwin, tj graham, hogan, and chandler in that second jet game last year).... if we add some pieces around him, theres no reason to think he couldnt go a shade over .500 instead.

Someone please explain to me how the Bills going (2-2) while Manuel starts ... and Manuel never playing again this season ... can somehow equal "The Bills wasting the defense on Manuel."

A good question, and as you know already the only thing truly wasted this season was how Marrone and his inept OC utilized EJ. Total waste of time for the entire organization.

A decent HC with at least 2 more years on his contract would have played EJ's arse off and left the organization better off for it in terms of making off season decisions, but not Doug "abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone and his inept OC. Total waste of time (in fairness, Marrone owes Mr. & Mrs. Pegula at least $4 million in damages if not more for wasting the time of the entire organization).

If Whaley didn't say something like that, there is a much greater likelihood that the coaching candidate is going to walk away from the interviewing saying, "These guys want to give up on #1 picks, or quarterbacks, before they have played a full season? No way am I taking this job. These guys are morons."

I also think Bruce Araians wouldve given his left testicle for EJ going into the playoffs this year. With the injury mess Arizona had with their QB situation this year

Unless he's missing one, I think he would have given both. Too old to make anymore babies.

Yep. And regardless of whom they report to, no one's going to take the job being hamstrung by an incompetent GM. It's scary the highest ranking football person in the organization, who the new owners are relying on to provide advice and lead a coaching search, traded away a first round pick when they were more than 1 player away, and has drafted what look like 2 busts within the first 2 rounds in his first two drafts.

Unreal.

And the crusade marches on

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000455062/article/report-bills-gm-wants-next-coach-to-revive-ej-manuel

I honestly think we might lose out a good HC now. I don't like how DW is doing this. If i was a HC and they want me to develop EJ and i want my own QB then i wouldn't take the bills job.

The reality is that for 2015 there likely aren't any other good options. I'm sure the Bills will press for a FA QB but even that route has no sure bets in 2015.

Yep. And regardless of whom they report to, no one's going to take the job being hamstrung by an incompetent GM. It's scary the highest ranking football person in the organization, who the new owners are relying on to provide advice and lead a coaching search, traded away a first round pick when they were more than 1 player away, and has drafted what look like 2 busts within the first 2 rounds in his first two drafts.

Unreal.

Please don't tell me you are referring to Watkins...

Well, I guess we'll see who is "stupid" and who is right.

That's the great thing about sports: it's the ultimate "show me" world.

Either EJ can play or he can't. I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be great, because then I'll say "Yup, I was wrong about EJ" and we will all be excited for the playoffs.