Should I be glad or nervous?

Paulfw

The Buffalo Bills have or scheduled to have interviews with 15 different people for the head coaching job. Should I be glad they're being diligent or nervous that they might not know what they're doing? I thought that teams usually had a contingency plan in their back pocket for situations like this.

I just assumed that because they track players all the time and seem to be able to fill in a roster spot because of injury fairly quickly that someone would be keeping tabs on coaches too. Just in case something like this happens and they would have a short list to pick from. Maybe because they haven't been this diligent in the past it seems a bit out of character.

The Buffalo Bills have or scheduled to have interviews with 15 different people for the head coaching job. Should I be glad they're being diligent or nervous that they might not know what they're doing? I thought that teams usually had a contingency plan in their back pocket for situations like this.

My take is that they may be leaning towards Schwartz or Reich, but they want to canvass lots of people to make sure there is not something out there substantially better-- kissing the toads and all that. It seems to me they are seeing so many people that they are not truly interested in all-- how could you be-- but if you stay in-house (Schwartz) or go with an old hand (Reich)-- you want to make sure you did not miss anything. And of course if they meet the candidate of their dreams, they can go that route. But I think they are just "sowing their wild oats" until they settle into a long-term committed relationship with the two most likely candidates ( I don't think for a moment Shanahan is coming here, nor do I want him to). Just my opinion.

The last time we hired a HC the search (according to those doing it) was exhaustive & extensive & you see where that got us !

If you were the man that put $1.4 BILLION on the table for a sports franchise wouldn't you look at every possible candidate to make your team better or would you do what the previous people did in their search & limit it to 5 people ?

If it's me i'm doing what these guys are doing & leaving no stone unturned !! May the best man (no homer hires) win !!

The last time we hired a HC the search (according to those doing it) was exhaustive & extensive & you see where that got us !

If you were the man that put $1.4 BILLION on the table for a sports franchise wouldn't you look at every possible candidate to make your team better or would you do what the previous people did in their search & limit it to 5 people ?

If it's me i'm doing what these guys are doing & leaving no stone unturned !! May the best man (no homer hires) win !!

Yes, this makes sense.

I am glad but then I remember Buddy Nix talking about the Gailey hire years ago and how there were so many people "wanting this job". Obviously that didn't work out for the best as who knows how accurate that statement really was and who all these people were. But all in all I'm glad we are taking our time trying to find the best candidate. It makes me wonder if there's maybe a coordinator who's team is still in the playoffs who we are waiting to talk to.

I don't see this correlation between interviewing lots of people and not knowing what you're doing. I keep seeing this. Can somebody explain it to me?

My original thought was that its like shooting bb's at a barn and hoping one hits instead of a carefully aimed shot. If I go to buy a shirt I don't look at many and just hope I find something I like. I know I want a blue one with buttons. So I'm thinking instead of looking at many coaches they should know what type they want (offensive minded, defensive minded, previous experience etc. But as T Master pointed out if I put all that money in a team I would want to be thorough

Whew, I'm glad someone started a thread on this. I've been wondering too, and no one else has wanted to discuss it or start a thread on it ANYWHERE else on this board.

:doh:

The threads I saw have been about they who's not the why so many

T master, on 07 Jan 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

This coaching search is different for the Bills mainly because we now have ownership that we can assume isn't going to constrain the selection process with any budget limitations. And by interviewing a large number of prospective candidates you also get a fairly big sample of opinion on how the outside world perceives the Bills and what the 'problems' are associated with the operation and the team along with how others might approach and fix it. This can help reinforce that your on the right track or provide you with information that might conflict with you current approach and cause you to assess your plan and modify it if needed.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills