A serious question, why the faith in Whaley?

Now before answering and before reading this please understand how I am saying this. I am not trying to be a jerk, I am not being sarcastic, I am not bashing I am just trying to wrap my head around why so many think Whaley should still be GM and why the faith in him. I know in print its hard to see how someone is coming across so just imagine we are sitting around having a couple beers, wings and just discussing this.

So in looking at Whaley here is what I see so far, he was in on the decision to draft EJ and hire Marrone, two horrible decisions. Now how much decision making did he have in those two decisions? Who knows? What I have read is it SEEMS (again just by what has been said/ printed) Whaley and Bradon wanted to force EJ on Marrone, and it is beyond proven and obvious Marrone and Whaley had issues regardless of what OBD says. Speaking of OBD can we finally agree no matter what its CYA there please? They will tell you that there is nothing to see here, all reports are wrong even if someone had video of it happening.

Moving on, here is what I have seen of Whaley in his first year as GM...

He signs a FA Guard with tons of ??? on him at Guard and the guy ends up being crap and not playing. Now some will say injuries, but this guy had issues at his last two places and didn't warrant his draft placing.

He trades for a WR who hasn't produced since his rookie year, has attitude issues, already has a bad history with our HC And is now on "IR" (wink wink) and we are on the hook cap wise for 5 Mil + next year.

He puts his faith in a QB that never should have been drafted in the first round (Was part of that decision), had many knocks against him and all the experts questioned why we took him in the 1st let alone to build this franchise around.

He trades away our 1st and 4th this year for a WR who's talent he believes is so clear cut better than anywone else in the Draft that its worth the pick. he also thinks this is the one piece to finally get us over the hump....a rookie WR...

Trades a 4th rounder for a RB we never hardly used.

I can go on but you are getting the point. So far to me he looks like he has do damn idea what he is doing. Even in Pittsburgh they figured out how the NFL changed and its all about the QB. Now a franchise QB doesn't guarantee you get into the playoffs, but without one you pretty much are screwed. As for as building the Pittsburgh Model they have a Franchise QB, they have ONE RB that carries most of the load with others to back them up. So this building a Pittsburgh model to me is pure nonsense.

So just looking at the guy's track record along with no ownership, no "I made that call", "I made that decision" it really bothers me. I just can't have faith in this guy and I can't see how so many are just so happy he is still the GM and have faith in him,

So if you all don't mind can we discuss this?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said we had faith in him? He's all that Pegula's got right now, so he's in charge by default.

I ask because for days now I keep reading posts saying folks are so glad he is still GM, he has the team headed in the right direction etc. when HE doesn't in my opinion. The Defense (And I hate saying this....mostly put in place by Nix and others) and Special teams put us at 9-7.

Just looking at what I posted the guy doesn't know what he is doing imho.

EJ Manuel, who Whaley certainly had input into (though we can't give him all the credit/blame to be sure), looks to be a whiff so far though the book is nowhere near closed on him yet. Plus, in my opinion, got smoked on the Watkins trade (not the player, the trade). So far I am not really seeing the magic. But for the sake of the franchise I sure hope he is able to turn things around by getting a good HC now and, hopefully, Manuel and Watkins prove worthy of Whaleys faith.

The overall roster is not the issue , it's the qb. He wouldn't be the first gm ruined by not finding one but he deserves to keep his job

EJ aside, why do you say he deserves to keep his job? His FA pickups are marginal to horrible, his draft pics are bad, and the trade for Watkins (although sammy will be good) hurts the franchise. You should never trade a future first for a WR, one WR isn't going to get your franchise where it wants to go...ask Atlanta. It just seems to be he is making bad mistake after bad mistake.

EJ aside, why do you say he deserves to keep his job? His FA pickups are marginal to horrible, his draft pics are bad, and the trade for Watkins (although sammy will be good) hurts the franchise. You should never trade a future first for a WR, one WR isn't going to get your franchise where it wants to go...ask Atlanta. It just seems to be he is making bad mistake after bad mistake.

Yea his draft picks are horrible. I see you convienantly ignore players thag don't fit your agenda.

Let's see:

Kiko Alonso

Preston Brown

Jerry Hughes

Boobie Dixon

Sentreal Henderson

Sammy Watkins

Robert Woods

All players Doug Whaley brought here. And he's added even more loads more of depth. But I'm not going to waste my time.

I'm not even sure why I'm responding to this thread.

Yea his draft picks are horrible. I see you convienantly ignore players thag don't fit your agenda.

Let's see:

Kiko Alonso

Preston Brown

Jerry Hughes

Boobie Dixon

Sentreal Henderson

Sammy Watkins

Robert Woods

All players Doug Whaley brought here. And he's added even more loads more of depth. But I'm not going to waste my time.

Analysis isn't his strong suit.

Marrone wasn't his guy. Whisenhunt was. Marrone was Nix and Brandon's guy.

Here is why we should keep him.

In his first full season of being a GM, the Bills had problems all over the place. We had serious WR problems, TE, OL, both our RBs had been hurt and CJ in last year, QB, Lb, a little bit at CB, and special teams were a disaster.

Whaley, who had come from the Steelers, had a plan. Stock a deep roster than is a mix of old and new, across the board, that is built to last not just load up for the present. You can't fix everything in one year, there were no QBs in FA worth signing.

He signed Dixon and traded for Brown for RB creating a four headed monster. Dixon was for short yardage and toughness, brown was slasher and security for CJ if he left this year.

He drafted watkins #1 who was a can't miss prospect, traded Stevie who was always hurt and didn't fit the offense Marrone wanted because he freelanced and EJ was going to be throwing the ball to spots. He traded for MWilliams setting up a four headed monster at WR too. A number 1, a possession guy in Woods, a speed demon in Goodwin, and a go up and get it redzone guy in Williams. They all had a role.

He signed Chris Williams which was a shaky pick, and spent his #2, #5 and #7 picks on OL. We can argue if they were busts, if they were projects, if Marrone screwed them up.

We were terrible against the run. He signed the best run stuffer in the league in Spikes, and drafted Preston Brown who played terrific for a #3 especially after kiko went down. He signed Rivers who was beaten out by Brown but a vet backup.

We got killed the year before with Justin Rogers and the 4th cb. He signed Leodis to a contract and he signed Corey Graham to be the #3 as well as had picked up a great slot guy in Robey the year before.

We were terrible on special teams. He signed two pro bowl ST players in Graham and Dixon who immediately changed that dynamic. And he signed the punter, as well as re-signed a FA he picked up last year, Dan Carpenter who is tremendous.

If he didn't draft Sammy he was going to draft a TE number one, but he had already signed Moeaki who unfortunately, predictably got hurt again, but who is now making plays for the Seahawks.

He let Byrd go so he could sign Aaron Williams. Byrd was a huge flame out, williams is solid and a bargain.

He signed branch and Charles. Branch didn't try and got in the Doug house so they cut him. But the DL was solid anyway all year.

Whaley has built a solid team.

You conveniently leave out the fact that in the drafting of EJ we traded down picking up a #2 and still had our choice of any qb in the draft.

Also the plan was never to start EJ his rookie year thats why QB Kolb was signed - you leave out that injury.

Pass rushers are a premium - care to compare the value of ILB Shepperd vs the value of DE Jerry Hughes? That's truly making wine out of water - but thats kinda forgotten.

Was it Whaley or Marrone responsible for the good OL coach to leave Buffalo for Sandiego and then take G Chad Reinhart with him?

Whaley benched Craig Urbik for 8 games?

Jarius Byrd was told bye bye saving us 10 million - where would we be now with that albatross had Whaley not told him bye bye?

In his first full season of being a GM, the Bills had problems all over the place. We had serious WR problems, TE, OL, both our RBs had been hurt and CJ in last year, QB, Lb, a little bit at CB, and special teams were a disaster.

Whaley, who had come from the Steelers, had a plan. Stock a deep roster than is a mix of old and new, across the board, that is built to last not just load up for the present. You can't fix everything in one year, there were no QBs in FA worth signing.

He signed Dixon and traded for Brown for RB creating a four headed monster. Dixon was for short yardage and toughness, brown was slasher and security for CJ if he left this year.

He drafted watkins #1 who was a can't miss prospect, traded Stevie who was always hurt and didn't fit the offense Marrone wanted because he freelanced and EJ was going to be throwing the ball to spots. He traded for MWilliams setting up a four headed monster at WR too. A number 1, a possession guy in Woods, a speed demon in Goodwin, and a go up and get it redzone guy in Williams. They all had a role.

He signed Chris Williams which was a shaky pick, and spent his #2, #5 and #7 picks on OL. We can argue if they were busts, if they were projects, if Marrone screwed them up.

We were terrible against the run. He signed the best run stuffer in the league in Spikes, and drafted Preston Brown who played terrific for a #3 especially after kiko went down. He signed Rivers who was beaten out by Brown but a vet backup.

We got killed the year before with Justin Rogers and the 4th cb. He signed Leodis to a contract and he signed Corey Graham to be the #3 as well as had picked up a great slot guy in Robey the year before.

We were terrible on special teams. He signed two pro bowl ST players in Graham and Dixon who immediately changed that dynamic. And he signed the punter, as well as re-signed a FA he picked up last year, Dan Carpenter who is tremendous.

If he didn't draft Sammy he was going to draft a TE number one, but he had already signed Moeaki who unfortunately, predictably got hurt again, but who is now making plays for the Seahawks.

He let Byrd go so he could sign Aaron Williams. Byrd was a huge flame out, williams is solid and a bargain.

He signed branch and Charles. Branch didn't try and got in the Doug house so they cut him. But the DL was solid anyway all year.

This post is too good for this thread. But I applaud you for your effort, good sir. :beer:

Let's see:

Kiko Alonso

Preston Brown

Jerry Hughes

Boobie Dixon

Sentreal Henderson

Sammy Watkins

Robert Woods

You do realize Kiko was Nix right? And I grant you preston, hughes, boobie, henderson were good. Watkins was going to be good, but not worth a future first no matter what. Woods was drafted when Nix was GM as well.

As for an agenda, Buffalo finally not being a laughing stock and franchise QB addressed is my main agenda. I asked an honest opinion and its more than worthy of discussion when you look at the track record so far

Good reply, thanks for actually thinking and posting. We will see on this next go around (since it seems Pegula will keep him) how he does. Both guards need upgraded and QB must be addressed.

Let's see:

Kiko Alonso

Preston Brown

Jerry Hughes

Boobie Dixon

Sentreal Henderson

Sammy Watkins

Robert Woods

Agreed, bottom line is we have the best football team we have had in a decade. Our personal is more talented than prior. Our defense is the best we have had in years. Even decisions to bring in Kyle Orton when he did allowed this team to be better than it would have been. I think we are much better off with a hungry GM on the rise than an established name that is no longer hungry but just trying to secure a career for his kids.

The biggest mistake he has made was hiring a .500 coach from Syracuse. An offensive expert who can't call plays or coach an offensive line worth a damn.

Edited by VADC Bills

Great post! Are you out of breathe yet?

Let's see:

Kiko Alonso

Preston Brown

Jerry Hughes

Boobie Dixon

Sentreal Henderson

Sammy Watkins

Robert Woods

Don't forget Brandon Spikes, Corey Graham, Jairus Wynn, Nickell Robey...ah, you're right, just easier to leave poor-enough alone

Nice post. I would add, if you are someone who thinks the Bills should have had a better record this year because they had the talent, there is no question of what you should think of Whaley.