Head Coach candidate: Mike Shanahan

HOUSE

Seriously people:

There are a few truly unfair ideas at work with some here:

1) After witnessing for decades what a meddling owner can do to the FO, the personnel, the draft, coaching staff and the product itself - how in the world can you operate on the assumption that Shanahan is solely to blame for the situation with the Skins? Danny was messing up that franchise before he got there and is doing a bang up job post-Shanny.

2) After seeing all of the season-long ups and downs, in-game decision making, injuries, managing staff and personnel - how do you take away the improbable success of back-to-back SB wins from the HC and put it all on the QB (Elway)?

3) There are people on this board clamoring for Marty Schottenheimer, Coughlin (like that will ever happen) and best of all Cowher. Shanahan had a team in the playoffs after winning the NFC East just 2 seasons ago!! But he's a washed-up retread? He inherited a 4-win Jim Zorn dumpster fire in Washington with Jason Campbell as QB.

Seriously, the ones saying "no thanks" like some cancer would be coming here to bring our storied franchise down need a reality check. Offensive HC, respected among his peers, 2 SB rings EARNED, knows the game better than anyone currently in our organization and could absolutely take us to the next level - even with Jay freaking Cutler.

If Pegs is truly a hands-off owner, won't jam him with a diva gadget QB and wants a football guy here, IMHO he would be a tremendous person to right this ship. I'm glad that he's being considered.

Maybe you're the one who "needs a reality check." Shanahan is 32 games above .500 in 20 years as a HC. That's a .552 career winning percentage...an average of 8.5 wins per year. To put in perspective, Marrone's winning percentage this season was .563. Shanahan's back-to-back SB wins were impressive but they occurred after the '97 & '98 seasons, during a totally different NFL era. And don't kid yourself into thinking that he gets there without Elway...Elway's last two seasons. Shanahan's record his first year without Elway? 6-10. In fact, Shanahan's record since 1999 (the last year that the Bills made the playoffs) is a less than stellar 115-109, during which he managed a mere two division titles in 14 years. During that stretch he made the playoffs five times, compiling a woeful 1-5 record. Those lopsided losses included scores of 21-3, 41-10, 49-24, 34-17, & 24-14 (after taking a 14-0 lead). His record during his last gig in Washington was 24-40 (a .375 winning percentage). As part of his deal there, he was named VP of Football Operations so blaming his failure entirely on inept owner Daniel Snyder would be inaccurate. He was knee-deep in the problems and dysfunctional environment enveloping that team and many Washington fans and observers blame him for RG III's regression. Reality check? Not for those aspiring to an eventual Buffalo championship. Excuse those of us who would not be thrilled if he were to be hired by the Bills. That's settling for a "safe" retread with a low floor and a slightly above average ceiling, IMO. Shooting for mediocrity should no longer be the hope of Bills fans. The Ralph Wilson era is over. It's time for bigger and better things than Doug Marrone & Mike freaking Shanahan. GO BILLS!!!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ShanMi0.htm

Edited by ExWNYer

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He failed miserably here in Washington and was credited for loosing up rg3s career. However as he is devolving to more and more a bust, it might just be that he accelerated the inevitable. Either way the guys who have "been there" sometimes struggle to do it elsewhere....

If you indeed do live here in DC, you would know it was and always will be Snyder's fault. And there was an unusual power struggle going on between them two.

Maybe you're the one who "needs a reality check." Shanahan is 32 games above .500 in 20 years as a HC. That's a .552 career winning percentage...an average of 8.5 wins per year. To put in perspective, Marrone's winning percentage this season was .563. Shanahan's back-to-back SB wins were impressive but they occurred after the '97 & '98 seasons, during a totally different NFL era. And don't kid yourself into thinking that he gets there without Elway...Elway's last two seasons. Shanahan's record his first year without Elway? 6-10. In fact, Shanahan's record since 1999 (the last year that the Bills made the playoffs) is a less than stellar 115-109, during which he managed a mere two division titles in 14 years. During that stretch he made the playoffs five times, compiling a woeful 1-5 record. Those lopsided losses included scores of 21-3, 41-10, 49-24, 34-17, & 24-14 (after taking a 14-0 lead). His record during his last gig in Washington was 24-40 (a .375 winning percentage). As part of his deal there, he was named VP of Football Operations so blaming his failure entirely on inept owner Daniel Snyder would be inaccurate. He was knee-deep in the problems and dysfunctional environment enveloping that team and many Washington fans and observers blame him for RG III's regression. Reality check? Not for those aspiring to an eventual Buffalo championship. Excuse those of us who would not be thrilled if he were to be hired by the Bills. That's settling for a "safe" retread with a low floor and a slightly above average ceiling, IMO. Shooting for mediocrity should no longer be the hope of Bills fans. The Ralph Wilson era is over. It's time for bigger and better things than Doug Marrone & Mike freaking Shanahan. GO BILLS!!!

LOL,

Elway lost 3 SB's under Reeves and absolutely got rolled in those games, should I kid myself that the 2-0 record in the big game with Shanahan was a fluke?

Did you really just compare Marrone's record in 2014-ONLY vs Shanahan's entire career? Why not include 2013 for Marrone? Right, it weakens an already ridiculously weak comparison. What was the last career winning coach we had here? Marv? Over .500 with all of that post season experience looks great to me.

Should he have went 12-4 the first year after losing a HOF QB or go into a rebuild? Wow dude…just WOW.

So he held a title under Danny in Washington, does that mean a thing when Danny wants to do something? If so, then why was there friction between the two of them? Right, Danny backed down and deferred because Shanny held a title…..nope….he rolled over his HC and allowed his rookie/2nd year QB to go right over his head. Owner/QB became boys and totally made a mockery out of a respected HC. What was Danny's track record for meddling prior to Shanahan? Prolific sound about right?

The league caught up with the read option = RG3's regression. Not Shanahan. You're selectively forgetting the NFC East title he won while it was the hot thing to do offensively. One year, like the Wildcat. You hit the QB - that is the answer…and RG3 took a lot of hits. How'd RG3 look this year with new coaching? ****ty would be a compliment.

Sorry but making the playoffs ONCE here would put a HC on a god-like pedestal. You're trashing a guy for doing it 5x including winning 2 SBs.

You really have champagne taste - congrats. The rest of the world sees us as a franchise with "beer money". There's more at stake here than the HC position….the organization needs stability. A very well respected veteran HC is one way to do that. Which hot coordinator is going to come in here and do that?

The Niners have 5 titles and appeared in a SB 2 years ago, they're all over Shanny….why do you think that is?

Pro Shanahan:

1. He brings a certain status (2 SB rings will do that, even if they're getting old), and that helps bring in strong assistants and the free agents you want.

2. His Broncos teams always ran the ball effectively. Even when they were mediocre, they ran the ball. Even when Bubby Brister and Brian Griese QB'd them, they ran the ball.

3. He takes control, demands control. Shanny will not take the job unless he is allowed to make all key personnel decisions. Getting RG3 was a stroke of genius if you ask me. He was already an older coach with Washington, but he certainly wasn't afraid to change. That first year with RG3 before he got hurt was just a thrilling offense to watch. And he wasn't afraid to mortgage the future to go for it. The fact that RG3 got hurt and was never the same? Well, those things happen.

4. His orange tan brightens up dull Buffalo November days.

Con Shanahan:

1. He was the classic workaholic coach. Not sure he still has that drive at age 62.

2. He takes control, demands control. Yes, that may be a plus, it can also be a big minus. Not sure one man can run everything in today's NFL. You hear about egomaniac Doug? Take a look at The Ultimate Leader (actual term used on Shanny's personal web site)

3. I don't know how he'd work with a guy like Schwartz, or anyone else he would perceive as a threat to him. I'm guessing he'd bring in his yes men as assistants.

You could do worse. Shanny desperately wants to win again, if only to prove that 1997-98 was not just John Elway.

I couldn't care less what the 49ers "think". They just let a guy walk who has had them at the top of the league and given them the most stability they've had in years. You can have Shanahan. Absolving him of everything that went wrong in DC is asinine. He's just as culpable as that asshat Snyder. It's clearly outlined what Shanahan has done during the Bills playoff drought, not just during is abysmal years in Washington. He won two Super Bowls in the late '90s. Good for him. You'd probably love to have Don Shula & John Madden at this point, too. Congrats on setting your bar low....that way you can't be disappointed. "Champagne tastes"...good one. You must be suffering from PTSD after all those years under Ralph.

I couldn't care less what the 49ers "think". They just let a guy walk who has had them at the top of the league and given them the most stability they've had in years. You can have Shanahan. Absolving him of everything that went wrong in DC is asinine. He's just as culpable as that asshat Snyder. It's clearly outlined what Shanahan has done during the Bills playoff drought, not just during is abysmal years in Washington. He won two Super Bowls in the late '90s. Good for him. You'd probably love to have Don Shula & John Madden at this point, too. Congrats on setting your bar low....that way you can't be disappointed. "Champagne tastes"...good one. You must be suffering from PTSD after all those years under Ralph.

I know the argument isn't with me, but ... do you blame Shanahan for making the deal to be able to draft RG3? For developing an offense that made maximum benefit of RG3's skills? For letting him run too much? Or for playing him after he'd messed up his knee the first time?

I know the argument isn't with me, but ... do you blame Shanahan for making the deal to be able to draft RG3? For developing an offense that made maximum benefit of RG3's skills? For letting him run too much? Or for playing him after he'd messed up his knee the first time?

Nobody thinks that Little Dummy Snyder is a horrible owner more than I do. But Shanahan was the VP of Football Operations and willingly took that job knowing who the owner was. Do you really think that he had no input into all that went on there??

===============================

​Yeah, just 2 Super Bowls in the late 90s. Back-to-back….nothing to write home about.

Go back to your state of misery sir, no more need to continue this.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

​Yeah, just 2 Super Bowls in the late 90s. Back-to-back….nothing to write home about.

LOL, can't wait to hear the answer to this: who would you like to see take the job sir?

I voted for Darrell Bevell in the who do you want as HC thread, although I wouldn't be crushed if they didn't get him. I also wouldn't stop following the team if they chose Shanahan. He's just far from my first choice. I'm assuming that you were one of the 4 forward thinkers out of the 75 casting votes so far who want Shanahan. If not, I apologize...that would make 5 out of 76. Reminds me of those who wanted Lovie Smith two years ago. Were you one of them? :lol:

Shanahan needs a contract offer so that another club can beat it. He has no interest in coaching Buffalo.

We didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting him back in 2010. Now? He's not exactly a hot commodity anymore. I'm sure he'd take the Niners and maybe the Falcons over us, but I doubt those teams will go with him. He's not getting any younger, and he's arrogant enough to think that he can keep our D and completely rebuild the offense to his design. So yes, I think there's a reasonable chance he'd take the Bills.

Seriously people:

There are a few truly unfair ideas at work with some here:

1) After witnessing for decades what a meddling owner can do to the FO, the personnel, the draft, coaching staff and the product itself - how in the world can you operate on the assumption that Shanahan is solely to blame for the situation with the Skins? Danny was messing up that franchise before he got there and is doing a bang up job post-Shanny.

2) After seeing all of the season-long ups and downs, in-game decision making, injuries, managing staff and personnel - how do you take away the improbable success of back-to-back SB wins from the HC and put it all on the QB (Elway)?

3) There are people on this board clamoring for Marty Schottenheimer, Coughlin (like that will ever happen) and best of all Cowher. Shanahan had a team in the playoffs after winning the NFC East just 2 seasons ago!! But he's a washed-up retread? He inherited a 4-win Jim Zorn dumpster fire in Washington with Jason Campbell as QB.

Seriously, the ones saying "no thanks" like some cancer would be coming here to bring our storied franchise down need a reality check. Offensive HC, respected among his peers, 2 SB rings EARNED, knows the game better than anyone currently in our organization and could absolutely take us to the next level - even with Jay freaking Cutler.

If Pegs is truly a hands-off owner, won't jam him with a diva gadget QB and wants a football guy here, IMHO he would be a tremendous person to right this ship. I'm glad that he's being considered.

You make a strong argument. I might add that due to his age, experience, and accomplishments he might be one of the few offensive guys that could come in without Schwartz feeling slighted.

Well said.

Shanahan needs a contract offer so that another club can beat it. He has no interest in coaching Buffalo.

I really don't want him to play us again. I also seem to recall hearing that his wife had no interest in moving to Buffalo the last time around. I have no idea whether that is true. Nevertheless, I would rather have many other coaches before him.

This is a perfect example of misleading statistics. You've managed to be about as misleading as possibly without lying by manipulating stats to fit your agenda. I'm not at big Shanahan guy, and I blame him for breaking Snyder's new toy (RG3) by leaving him in long after he should have been pulled, but to take away his accomplishments is bull ****.

You want to lay his SB wins on Elway. Tell me this; how many SBs did Elway win without Shanahan?

You compare his career W/L record (a ridiculous metric to judge a HC, I might add) against St. Doug's single season record, which completely ignores the fact that the Redskins were a steaming pile of **** when he took over and by his third year won their division only to fall to a poor record the following season due to the QB he broke. To look at that stint as an abject failure is just plain !@#$ing stupid. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but it's the truth.

Again, I'm not a big Shanahan guy, but anyone with a scintilla of objectivity can see, especially given the Bills current situation, that we could do a lot worse.

This is a perfect example of misleading statistics. You've managed to be about as misleading as possibly without lying by manipulating stats to fit your agenda. I'm not at big Shanahan guy, and I blame him for breaking Snyder's new toy (RG3) by leaving him in long after he should have been pulled, but to take away his accomplishments is bull ****.

You want to lay his SB wins on Elway. Tell me this; how many SBs did Elway win without Shanahan?

You compare his career W/L record (a ridiculous metric to judge a HC, I might add) against St. Doug's single season record, which completely ignores the fact that the Redskins were a steaming pile of **** when he took over and by his third year won their division only to fall to a poor record the following season due to the QB he broke. To look at that stint as an abject failure is just plain !@#$ing stupid. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but it's the truth.

Again, I'm not a big Shanahan guy, but anyone with a scintilla of objectivity can see, especially given the Bills current situation, that we could do a lot worse.

Bulls***! I didn't manipulate any stats and I didn't downplay his SB wins. I simply pointed out that they occurred pre-turn of the century, which is true and that he's done next to nothing during the time that the Bills have missed the playoffs. That includes Denver, not just Washington. I also said in another post that I wouldn't stop following the team if they hired him...he's just far from my first choice and I think that the Bills can do far better under the Pegulas than they did under Ralph and that means no to Shanahan. I never said he was horrible, he's just not the coach to lead this team into the 21st century NFL, IMO. Sorry to be so blunt but it's the truth.