Minority coaching interview

The league rule is a team must interview 1 minority coach so who will it be? And is that coach a bonifide possibility? I cannot think of many minority coaches out there right now. Most are already locked up in their current positions.

Edited by billsfan_34

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably bad place to put this...but i really like Hue Jackson. I think his players responded well to him in Oakland, Cinci offense seems to be playing well, he is young and aggressive...and i think being a previous head coach maybe Schwartz would be okay with staying

I believe the rule has worked as intended BTW, and i still like the rule.

Probably bad place to put this...but i really like Hue Jackson. I think his players responded well to him in Oakland, Cinci offense seems to be playing well, he is young and aggressive...and i think being a previous head coach maybe Schwartz would be okay with staying

I believe the rule has worked as intended BTW, and i still like the rule.

Another good interview as well. And Cinci has a nice program he could bring his offense along with the leadership learned from Lewis. I like the idea of having a coach on his second stint. The good ones learn from their mistakes such as Pete Carrol.

The rule is the NFL's version of affirmative action. I don't care about the HC race.....I care if he can coach football. OK, comply with the rule.....but the minority guys don't like coming out to Buffalo just so the Bills can get their ticket punched. I don't know a better way to insure minorities are considered, but fear that technical compliance doesn't make a candidate legit. Frankly, I would take a Martian if he gets us to the SuperBowl again.

Do people really think NFL franchises are going to refuse to consider minority coaching candidates unless they're expressly required to interview at least one? It's a stupid rule.

Maybe you should look at the history of black coaches in the NFL. The ratio of black assistant coaches to head coaches was way off prior to this rule being implemented, that is, the % of assistant coaches that were black was way higher than the % of head coaches that are black. It screamed of something going on...most likely subconsciously. Since the rule has been in affect, the gap has narrowed significantly.

Affirmative action policies come with a hiring requirement, there is no such requirement here, it just ensures a fair shot.

Hugh Jackson would be a great choice outside the organization to look at.

Edited by Mark80

Maybe you should look at the history of black coaches in the NFL. The ratio of black assistant coaches to head coaches was way off prior to this rule being implemented, that is, the % of assistant coaches that were black was way higher than the % of head coaches that are black. It screamed of something going on...most likely subconsciously. Since the rule has been in affect, the gap has narrowed significantly.

Affirmative action policies come with a hiring requirement, there is no such requirement here, it just ensures a fair shot.

Hugh Jackson would be a great choice outside the organization to look at.

+1

I thought it was a stupid rule when it was first enacted for the reasons cited above...but it was soon clear it worked. One of the problems was not so much overt racism as an ol' boys network. What happened is that front offices would decide on a coach...usually a big name...but be forced to bring someone in for a token interview to comply with the rule...and often they were impressed. Even though they would go ahead and hire who they had predetermined they would hire, they would spread the word that this guy they had in was really impressive...and very soon there were a lot more minority hires.

Another good interview as well. And Cinci has a nice program he could bring his offense along with the leadership learned from Lewis. I like the idea of having a coach on his second stint. The good ones learn from their mistakes such as Pete Carrol.

It was Carrolls third stint. Fourth if you count the professional team at USC.

As far as the minority coaches go, the Bills should interview Henderson or Pepper Johnson after a phone call to Schwartz, although that's probably unnecessary. Schwartz would understand. The Rooney Rule is a farce for the most part, but it does allow these guys to go through the process and get their ducks in a row and give them some good experience for later when they may be taken more seriously. We should afford our guys that experience rather than some outsider who has no chance. If they look at Bowles it's somewhat of a slap to Schwartz.

I think the two outstanding minority candidates at the moment are Todd Bowles and Hue Jackson. Frankly both would be on my shortlist but I think as has been said above if you appoint Bowles then the chances of Schwartz wanting to stay appear, on paper at least, slim.