Senior Bowl QBs

I didn't see a thread on the senior bowl, but my only real interest is on the QBs so Mods feel free to merge with any of the dozen other open threads on that topic.

Shane Carden (East Carolina), Garrett Grayson (Colorado State), Bryce Petty (Baylor), and Blake Sims (Alabama) are the QBs who have accepted invites to the Senior Bowl to be played on January 24th.

Also, the Bahamas Bowl with Brandon Doughty (Western Kentucky) is available on YouTube. A lot of designed short throws (like our offense), but he displays pretty good intermediate/deep ball accuracy from the bits I have seen.

http://youtu.be/gkxvQyCEIzc

Edit1: Also worth noting, the NFL Scouting Combine will be February 17-23. Invitees will be announced early February.

Edited by voodoo poonani

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see a thread on the senior bowl, but my only real interest is on the QBs so Mods feel free to merge with any of the dozen other open threads on that topic.

Shane Carden (East Carolina), Garrett Grayson (Colorado State), Bryce Petty (Baylor), and Blake Sims (Alabama) are the QBs who have accepted invites to the Senior Bowl to be played on January 24th.

Also, the Bahamas Bowl with Brandon Doughty (Western Kentucky) is available on YouTube. A lot of designed short throws (like our offense), but he displays pretty good intermediate/deep ball accuracy from the bits I have seen.

Really interested to see what Carden and Grayson have to offer up. Haven't really been able to watch any of their games this year but from all accounts they looked pretty good. Sims improved a lot this year and played very well, but I'd be hard pressed to see any real future in the NFL as a QB to build around. Petty is definitely a good looking QB in my opinion. Unfortunately, their system gets a ton of guys wide open so it is hard to see if he has that NFL accuracy / split second decision making that is necessary to be elite. I can say this for sure though, he hits those open guys in stride virtually ever time.

I've never even really heard of Doughty, I'll have to check him out.

Grayson seems like the best of the bunch to me. Good footwork, seems intelligent, nice mechanics and good accuracy. I think he may even sneak into the first round with a strong offseason showing.

Carden certainly can put up some passing numbers, and has done it against "better" competition (VA Tech, UNC). Very quick release, and although he doesn't have a really strong arm he can make all the throws. Fiery leader and moves well in the pocket to buy time. One knock on him is his throwing mechanics. He has this funky delivery and the ball seems to come out like a dead duck.

Grayson might be a good pick if he is there at 50. Cardenas is more of a 4th-6th round pick, IMO. I'm not a huge fan of Petty, and I don't know a lot about Sims. Although he has come a long way this year...shows he is coachable. Sims has every physical attribute you might want in a QB.

Most of these guys are small school so you don't necessarily need to spend a second round pick. A third or fourth might do.

Right, I was just posing the question as a hypothetical. I guess my point is that, if we were to use our top pick on a QB, we would essentially be saying goodbye to EJ, correct? Which I'm fine with, but it is a big move.

I'm glad someone brought up Doughty. I watched him against Marshall and in his bowl game. He looks like a pro QB to me. He stands tall in the pocket and can make all the throws. He played under Petrino and now Brohm. I liked what I saw. I have no idea where he will go but there is something there.

Right, I was just posing the question as a hypothetical. I guess my point is that, if we were to use our top pick on a QB, we would essentially be saying goodbye to EJ, correct? Which I'm fine with, but it is a big move.

Knowing the Bills, it will be an open competition.

I'm glad someone brought up Doughty. I watched him against Marshall and in his bowl game. He looks like a pro QB to me. He stands tall in the pocket and can make all the throws. He played under Petrino and now Brohm. I liked what I saw. I have no idea where he will go but there is something there.

He also has good accuracy throwing on the move when flushed out of the pocket.

It appears Whaley and co. are all in on EJ. Despite the benching for Orton, I believe they are set on EJ. With so many other holes to fill (TE,G,T,RB) I will be watching for late round fliers in this years Senior bowl

They only have one QB (Tuel is eh). They have to bring in more whether from FA or the draft. Seeing what is available in FA, I hope they draft one.

They only have one QB (Tuel is eh). They have to bring in more whether from FA or the draft. Seeing what is available in FA, I hope they draft one.

I will be shocked (again) if Tuel makes the team next year. Maybe the practice squad again (if eligible) because he "knows the system". The Bills are going into next year with EJ the only remaining QB from the regular roster. I have no problem with keeping EJ around, and have expressed my preference for him to WIN the starting QB job. But even if they are committed to EJ taking the reins next year, they still need to pick up 2-4 bodies for whatever competition they have in mind. This will be interesting as they now have to restock the QB position. I just hope they bring in some guys with decent experience and some with good potential. If one of these guys has an upside, and is available in the middle rounds, I hope they can pull the trigger before he is gone. It would be great to find a quality #2 in this draft.

I live in NC and have watched 6/7 ECU games, I like Carden but he's not a guy who will jump in and be the answer. Former ECU coach Steve Ligan feels he has the skills to be a good backup and with quality coaching a decent starter.

I live in NC and have watched 6/7 ECU games, I like Carden but he's not a guy who will jump in and be the answer. Former ECU coach Steve Ligan feels he has the skills to be a good backup and with quality coaching a decent starter.

Thanks for the info. Has anybody watched any of the others?

• 2 weeks later...

I will be shocked (again) if Tuel makes the team next year. Maybe the practice squad again (if eligible) because he "knows the system". The Bills are going into next year with EJ the only remaining QB from the regular roster. I have no problem with keeping EJ around, and have expressed my preference for him to WIN the starting QB job. But even if they are committed to EJ taking the reins next year, they still need to pick up 2-4 bodies for whatever competition they have in mind. This will be interesting as they now have to restock the QB position. I just hope they bring in some guys with decent experience and some with good potential. If one of these guys has an upside, and is available in the middle rounds, I hope they can pull the trigger before he is gone. It would be great to find a quality #2 in this draft.

I'm with you, Dean. I'd love for the Bills to draft one of these college kids (don't really care which one) in the 4th or 5th round, and also bring in at least one veteran FA from the cast of characters available out there.

Everytime I watch Petty he seems to be a good prospect. Then I see mocks that put him in round 4 and 5 , My guess by the end of the combine he will be late 2

My gut tells me I'd much rather have Garrett Grayson than Petty, but what does my gut know. I guess Doughty will be out next year and hopefully we'll have a 1st round pick.