FA offensive linemen

YoloinOhio

Here is the list of available OL. We just drafted 3 last year. Anyone more open to moving Glenn to G than they were last year (not saying I am) if we could land a T? Will an immediate starter be available in round 2? I'm skeptical.

Doug Free (OT) DAL

Jermey Parnell (OT) DAL

Bryan Bulaga (OT) GB

Michael Roos (OT) TEN

Fernando Velasco (G) CAR

Orlando Franklin (G) DEN

James Carpenter (G) SEA

Mike Iupati (G) SF

Brian De La Puente © CHI

A.Q. Shipley © IND

Rodney Hudson © KC

Stefen Wisniewski © OAK

Nick Hardwick © SD

I'd like to think they plan on bringing one or two guys in this offseason. However, the level of talent they bring in hinges on their priorities. Are they going to spend 8 mil a year on Iupati? It also factors in to how important resigning Hughes is to them. I'm unsure of how this will shake out, but don't see them resigning Hughes AND bringing in top tier guard talent. Frankly I think they're going have to pick one or the other. Personally I'd like to see Hughes back and give our young guys time to develop.

As much as it does sound ridiculous, I get an overwhelming feeling that Marrone feels the answer is already in house

I have begun to think that they are strongly considering moving Henderson to LT, Glenn to LG, and starting Kouandjio or Hairston at RT (assuming they re-sign Hairston).

As someone else pointed out a few weeks back, our ability to run the ball ended when he got hurt. So maybe not as bad as seemed.

Put one of the top FA on one side, Williams the other guard, with Henderson and Glenn outside could be a big improvement., though do think Williams was much better at run blocking than pass blocking If they feel either Richardson or Kojo made big improvements as the season went on and could play well next season, then you have some depth. If not, sign a lower tier FA as backup in case of injury.

We also still have Chris Williams (I know, I know, PFF).

I'd like to think they plan on bringing one or two guys in this offseason. However, the level of talent they bring in hinges on their priorities. Are they going to spend 8 mil a year on Iupati? It also factors in to how important resigning Hughes is to them. I'm unsure of how this will shake out, but don't see them resigning Hughes AND bringing in top tier guard talent. Frankly I think they're going have to pick one or the other. Personally I'd like to see Hughes back and give our young guys time to develop.

Agreed. This was the Bills' thinking when they refused to pay Andy Levitre $8M/year. The logic was sound then and it is now. I'll bet that "analytics" would tell us that pass rushing DEs are more important than OGs!

Whether fans like it or not, teams simply cannot afford to pay top dollar for players at every position (assuming there are even players worth that level of $ available at each position). Teams have to select carefully which positions they invest big money into.

Teams with good young QBs still on their rookie contracts can afford more at other positions that have very highly paid veteran QBs, but once those top young QBs are eligible for their $15-$20M/year deal, they'll have to shed salary at other positions.

Agreed. This was the Bills' thinking when they refused to pay Andy Levitre $8M/year. The logic was sound then and it is now. I'll bet that "analytics" would tell us that pass rushing DEs are more important than OGs!

Whether fans like it or not, teams simply cannot afford to pay top dollar for players at every position (assuming there are even players worth that level of $ available at each position). Teams have to select carefully which positions they invest big money into.

Teams with good young QBs still on their rookie contracts can afford more at other positions that have very highly paid veteran QBs, but once those top young QBs are eligible for their $15-$20M/year deal, they'll have to shed salary at other positions.

The team is in desperate need of a guard. A player like James Carpenter would really solidify the O-line you could then bring in a guard in the 3rd round for depth and competition. Its clear Urbik, Pears, and Hairston are gone while Richardson and Williams are on the bubble. The team needs better O-line play at guard. The team has the cap space to spend 5-7 million on a guard and resign Hughes and spend the money needed on a QB (The ones that will be avaiable)

The team is in desperate need of a guard. A player like James Carpenter would really solidify the O-line you could then bring in a guard in the 3rd round for depth and competition. Its clear Urbik, Pears, and Hairston are gone while Richardson and Williams are on the bubble. The team needs better O-line play at guard. The team has the cap space to spend 5-7 million on a guard and resign Hughes and spend the money needed on a QB (The ones that will be avaiable)

According to the bills' roster, Hairston is an RFA, so he's most likely back. He's a good swing tackle. Marrone said good things about Richardson at yesterday's PC. I won't be surprised if they move Glenn inside, Henderson to LT, and give kouandjio a shot at RT.

With an unsettled QB situation, I doubt carpenter or iupati would come unless they throw a boat load of $ at them, which I doubt. Best bet is to grab a G in R2.

Bills need to resign Searcy, Hughes, Easley, and Wynn. I'd like to see them go for a TE in FA too, someone like Clay from Miami.

With the QB situation they need to have a power running game. I'm torn about CJ, but they might be better off finding a big horse at RB.

We also still have Chris Williams (I know, I know, PFF).

Not quite sure how much you can depend on him returning. Here's an excerpt after he was put on IR-

Orchard Park, N.Y. — Buffalo Bills guard Chris Williams has seen his back injury take a turn for the worse.

The Bills placed Williams on injured reserve Saturday after he missed the last two games with a back injury and has already been ruled out for the team's Week 6 game against the Patriots.

Bills coach Doug Marrone has expressed his concern for Williams' back injury because of the nature of the injury. In Williams' absence, rookie fifth-round pick Cyril Richardson has been starting at left guard.

I would like to see the Bills pick up a FA OL starter or two and let them battle it out with Cyrus & Cyril plus a draft pick (A J Cann). Field the best 5 after the dust settles, IMO.

Edited by pimp on da' net

You guys dont get it.....

IF Hackett stays....and it is likely he will....EVERYTHING predicates around that 1st down dive up the middle.......we CAN NOT continue to get 1 or 2 or 3 yards on that down and be successful.......in order for our offense to go we need to get 4 or more yards on that play....

also

The interior pressure from pass rush is ridiculous....literally no consistant pocket.

I fully expect offensive line signings this offseason......key guys

I think the need is at guard. But i am a fan of Bulaga. I remember his combines workout, his foot work was always near perfect. We really need to fix the running game first, if we pick up a guard, he needs to be fast enough to pull.

well I could picture this -LT Henderson, LG Glenn, C Wood, RG Richardson or CK RT Bulaga

Not quite sure how much you can depend on him returning. Here's an excerpt after he was put on IR-

Orchard Park, N.Y. — Buffalo Bills guard Chris Williams has seen his back injury take a turn for the worse.

The Bills placed Williams on injured reserve Saturday after he missed the last two games with a back injury and has already been ruled out for the team's Week 6 game against the Patriots.

Bills coach Doug Marrone has expressed his concern for Williams' back injury because of the nature of the injury. In Williams' absence, rookie fifth-round pick Cyril Richardson has been starting at left guard.

I would like to see the Bills pick up a FA OL starter or two and let them battle it out with Cyrus & Cyril plus a draft pick (A J Cann). Field the best 5 after the dust settles, IMO.

they interviewed him Monday and he said he would be back. If he was done for good, the bills could have waived him with an injury settlement I'd guess.

A stud offensive line (with good blocking schemes) would do so much for the offense. It'd make EJ (or whomever next year's QB is) and the running game look 10x better. I really hope that this is the number 1 priority, since the QBs available to us are all basically in that mediocre category at best.

well I could picture this -LT Henderson, LG Glenn, C Wood, RG Richardson or CK RT Bulaga

Where is everyone getting the "Glenn to LG" idea. I know he's probably more physically suited there but has the FO or Marrone hinted at all that he'll move? Henderson is the replacement at LT? That just doesn't make any sense to me. Of course, his year was subpar and took a noticeable down turn. With all the preseason illness speculation, I can't help but wonder if that played a role in his performance

Where is everyone getting the "Glenn to LG" idea. I know he's probably more physically suited there but has the FO or Marrone hinted at all that he'll move? Henderson is the replacement at LT? That just doesn't make any sense to me. Of course, his year was subpar and took a noticeable down turn. With all the preseason illness speculation, I can't help but wonder if that played a role in his performance

There were two places I've seen/heard it: one was a Vic Carucci article from the Buffalo News a few weeks back:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-offensive-line-has-room-for-improvement-20141217

"Left tackle Cordy Glenn is mostly solid, although there are some within the Bills who think that his more natural spot might be at guard"

The other was during Marrone/Whaley's closeout PC, where he said that they were keeping that option on the table as part of an effort to get the best 5 on the field.