EJ Manuel. Our next star quarterback

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching the Bears game last night and EJ started that game about as good as the team could have hoped for. He hit both Woods and Watkins on intermediate throws down the field, showed escapability, scored on a keeper and threw a TD to Spiller on a short field. He looked every bit like a good starting QB. Maybe he will continue to work and surprise us all by becoming just that next year?

There's no basis to believe EJM can be better next year than Orton was this year. Orton's numbers were better across the board - and in some categories, substantially better (like comp % and yds/attempt).

At this point, I'd just take a continuation of EJM's rookie season (minus the injuries) b/c he looked worse off this season than he did his rookie season.

I believe EJM should get a full opportunity next season to win the job and start again - I'm just not confident he'll do well though.

And when you factor in the effects of sacks, the net yards per attempt becomes 5.88 for Orton and 5.80 for EJ.

I like EJ, too and didn't want him to get benched after the Houston game. That video made me think 3 things.

1) I wish he would use his mobility more in the NFL.

2) I wish Duke was in the AFC East.

3) Rashad Greene looks like he could be a nice player, maybe like Wes Welker?

I hope that there is a real QB competition next year such that if EJ were to win it, he will have earned it. I hope that he has been a bit humbled by the benching, because some of his comments after the pre-season and regular season games about how he thought he played well were a bit head-scratching.

And when you factor in the effects of sacks, the net yards per attempt becomes 5.88 for Orton and 5.80 for EJ.

Orton was a 9 year veteran.

EJM was a rookie forced to start right out of college for one of the league's worst teams, and very worst offense's, with a rookie HC and OC.

Lots of room for improving both his surrounding circumstances, and his own play.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Orton was a 9 year veteran.

EJM was a rookie forced to start right out of college for one of the league's worst teams, and very worst offense's, with a rookie HC and OC.

Lots of room for improving both his surrounding circumstances, and his own play.

Certainly true. I was ok with benching him at the time because the pass rush pressure EJ had seen in his last two games had really rattled his mechanics and his internal play clock. I don't think he regressed so much as was exposed for not having an answer to consistent pass rush pressure. Guess what, most veteran QBs struggle in the face of consistent pressure. Joe Flacco's tQBR in week 16 vs. the Texans was lower than EJ's.

I was not ok with EJ not seeing the field again for the entire 2014 season. Mostly because I do not trust Marrone to have read it correctly. He can say that Orton gave them the best chance to win all he wants but there was little evidence of that after the bye week.

Fix the o-line so whoever the QB is can have a consistent run game and not have to look for "unabated" pass rushers.

Certainly true. I was ok with benching him at the time because the pass rush pressure EJ had seen in his last two games had really rattled his mechanics and his internal play clock. I don't think he regressed so much as was exposed for not having an answer to consistent pass rush pressure. Guess what, most veteran QBs struggle in the face of consistent pressure. Joe Flacco's tQBR in week 16 vs. the Texans was lower than EJ's.

I was not ok with EJ not seeing the field again for the entire 2014 season. Mostly because I do not trust Marrone to have read it correctly. He can say that Orton gave them the best chance to win all he wants but there was little evidence of that after the bye week.

Fix the o-line so whoever the QB is can have a consistent run game and not have to look for "unabated" pass rushers.

I think he will get better at avoiding sacks with experience.

I don't think they have a better option than EJM at this point. We can at least expect that he will get better with more experience, and improvements to the line and running game. How much better, I don't know, but the cupboard is bare, and even a new rookie will take at least a season to compete for the playoffs.

The Bills have a huge identity crisis on offense. They seem to run a power run/west coast offense with an offensive line that can't power run block due to poor guard play and an overabundance of conservative throws to the RBs in the flat when they have a very good trio of Watkins, Woods and Hogan.

The Bills need to throw big money at the best free agent guard and they need to draft another one early in this coming draft. That should take care of upgrading the power run game.

Mike Iupati!!

This is what the Steelers do and the Bills should adopt this offensive scheme. EJ Manuel could become a poor mans Ben Rothlesberger, but they need to at least give him the chance with this new scheme. The first thing they need to do is upgrade the line and scrap the throws to the RBs.

You might want to look at the stats. Leveon Bell was 2nd on the Steelers with 83 receptions.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

Couldn't have said it better!!

I do think EJ has a chance of success, but only if he:

A. Uses his legs. Running was a big part of his game in college and a big part of what made him appealing as a pro. Without the running ability he's a poor man's Trent Edwards. With it He could be dangerous

B. Wins the job outright. He'll never believe he's legit and neither will his teammates if he wins the job by default. If he earns it he'll have respect.

I don't like the idea of going into camp with him as the presumed starter, but I'm glad he's in the mix.

I do think EJ has a chance of success, but only if he:

A. Uses his legs. Running was a big part of his game in college and a big part of what made him appealing as a pro. Without the running ability he's a poor man's Trent Edwards. With it He could be dangerous

B. Wins the job outright. He'll never believe he's legit and neither will his teammates if he wins the job by default. If he earns it he'll have respect.

I don't like the idea of going into camp with him as the presumed starter, but I'm glad he's in the mix.

One of the things that irritates me to no end is when, with a yard or so needed, and with no defender on the nose, the QB doesn't just bull forward. Tom Brady does it successfully all the time, and many times it's likely an audible at the line.

There were numerous times when the Orton could have done this, but instead killed a drive with a regular play. At least with a guy like EJM they MIGHT have that option at the line. Just having that threat makes the defense have to respect it, and might improve your chances elsewhere.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Nobody knows for sure. I am trying to be optimistic. Many of us agree that the offensive line needs fixing, and the offensive coordinator sucks. Maybe with those repairs the QB will have a better shot at success.

Alex Smith was regularly appearing on lists of the biggest QB busts of all time until Harbaugh took over as HC/OC at SF.

So there is something to this OL/OC business

The hard decision this organization has to make is, to keep a lot of cap room open for a good QB when one becomes available. Or to spend all the cap to build up the team around EJ.

If In a year and half from now we still suck and miss out on a good QB because we spent big to try it with EJ. It will suck. And I don't know what I would do If I was Whaley.