Where was Cyrus K. this year? I dont get it.

Aaron Williams, Bradham, and McKelvin are just a couple of examples of players that took a few years to develop into solid contributes. Marrone said Kouandjio is better now than at the beginning of the year.

Let's see what he can do with a full off-season before giving up on him.

Edited by elroy16

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One off negative Nancy-ism. That's all this OP has given us with the post. Let's just not mention Seantrel Henderson, a 7th round pick playing more like a 2nd rounder. What about Kyle Williams, a pro-bowler, selected in the 5th round? What about Preston Brown, a starter and also just a 3rd round pick? Most of the roster is 1st and 2nd round picks, which I wouldn't have assumed would be the case, but to focus on one guy is myopic.

i was surprised we didnt see a few snaps just to get him live action this year before the offseason. simply a little taste of it for him, and a chance to see how he handles it for coaches.

I heard some interesting comments yesterday about lineman, even top picks, are slow to develop these days. The new CBA allows for very little hitting, and how else do you learn to play the line?

its definitely a valid point.

He's obviously a bust. No player ever becomes good after being bad their first year.

/s

No kidding. But some on this board have a sports-talk/sports-forum mentality. They love to cry BUST! Probably because they don't get to see the real thing, if you get my drift.

Was the guy a disappointment this year? Sure was.

But he was a rookie who didn't get it year one. Doesn't mean he can't recover from that. Hope he does.

i was surprised we didnt see a few snaps just to get him live action this year before the offseason. simply a little taste of it for him, and a chance to see how he handles it for coaches.

Was he active for games? I don't remember. But you aren't going to activate him if you aren't certain he can play effectively (even on this years shaky line). Hard to get a few plays in if you are active on gameday.

Do you think his knee is a problem still?

its certainly possible though dr Andrews gave him a clean bill of health and the report was that it was not an issue that was supposed to affect him now, but rather could affect him long term.

Personally i think he is just having a rough transition.

No kidding. But some on this board have a sports-talk/sports-forum mentality. They love to cry BUST! Probably because they don't get to see the real thing, if you get my drift.

Was the guy a disappointment this year? Sure was.

But he was a rookie who didn't get it year one. Doesn't mean he can't recover from that. Hope he does.

Was he active for games? I don't remember. But you aren't going to activate him if you aren't certain he can play effectively (even on this years shaky line). Hard to get a few plays in if you are active on gameday.

i think he was active for 1 game (kc)

Why did we draft such a slow footed T in the first place?? Especially in a year where we were betting the farm on a playoff run???

I mean really, our OL coach was calling him a statue the first week of camp! Why didn't the OL coach attend the kids pre-draft workouts and tell Whaley to pass on the kid bc he is too slow???

Seems like a day one starter at G would have been a smarter pick than someone we knew would be a big project at best.

Why did we draft such a slow footed T in the first place?? Especially in a year where we were betting the farm on a playoff run???

I mean really, our OL coach was calling him a statue the first week of camp! Why didn't the OL coach attend the kids pre-draft workouts and tell Whaley to pass on the kid bc he is too slow???

Seems like a day one starter at G would have been a smarter pick than someone we knew would be a big project at best.

i dont think most were calling him a project in april. raw to be a LT, sure, but at RT i think most were pretty high on his ability to run block, and his pass blocking could use improvement but wasnt terrible. somewhere in there, i think what showed up in camp surprised us. im guessing it wasnt scouting issues and no one watching him play or practice before the pick, but maybe health, weight, motivation, something else? sometimes we find out after the fact these guys were dealing with stuff off the field that effected them.

Edited by NoSaint

You can't say he's a bust. Not at all. The head coach (or line coach) washed their hands of him, thus he was a non-factor.

This seems to be Marrone's MO

Urbick was benched for Richardson, an inferior player. Hairston, a decent tackle, was kept on the bench while Henderson struggled badly. Last year the coaches delayed replacing what may have been the worst guard in the league for half the season. Spiller, an extraordinary player under Chan, was mediocre under Hackett and Marrone, who also arguably did not use Watkins effectively, either (especially when I see how the Giants use Odell). My point is that there's good reason to suppose these coaches do not know how to work with players, so maybe Cujo--and EJ for that matter--might be better than is generally supposed.

http://www.nfl.com/d...djio?id=2543482

Hummm. Seems like just the player we saw this year--a 21 year old rookie who was overwhelmed by the big stage.

BTW, the operative phrase here is 21-year old.

Seems to me we have a pro bowl DT who fit that description a few years ago...one who many TSW pundits labled a 'bust' after his second year (let alone his first).

How'd those pronostications work out, fellas?

Are you referring to Dareus? He had a good rookie season, racking up 5.5 sacks (good for a DT) and doing a fair job of space eating. He was a solid-to-good NFL starter that year. The two don't compare at all.

He's obviously a bust. No player ever becomes good after being bad their first year.

/s

I get the sarcasm, but this doesn't worry you? "Tied for the slowest 40 time (5.63 seconds) of any participant at the combine."

I don't expect him to become good.

I get the sarcasm, but this doesn't worry you? "Tied for the slowest 40 time (5.63 seconds) of any participant at the combine."

I don't expect him to become good.

a touch worrisome, but 40 time probably wouldnt be the first (or second, or third) measurement that i looked at to judge him.

40 time relates to speed. His basic problem is that he is slow -- painfully slow. Speed is a fair indicator of an ability to not be slow.

Quickness is far more important in an OL than speed. Show me his 5-yard, or 10-yard time.

40 time relates to speed. His basic problem is that he is slow -- painfully slow. Speed is a fair indicator of an ability to not be slow.

but speed for a tackle is rarely 40 yards straight line. he isnt running fly routes.

i have no idea how his 10 yard split looked but that would be higher on my list, and foot speed to get set in his stance and move laterally is nothing to do with a 40 yard dash.

Aaron Williams, Bradham, and McKelvin are just a couple of examples of players that took a few years to develop into solid contributes. Marrone said Kouandjio is better now than at the beginning of the year.

Let's see what he can do with a full off-season before giving up on him.

True can we give the guy another full off-season and training camp to see how the guy has developed. Just because a guy hasn't started and done well his rookie year does not mean he won't develop in his second or third year. Not everyone starts or does well their first year but plenty of players adjust and take to coaching over the course of their careers.