Orton Retires (per twitter)

JimBob2232

"Hi you've reached the voicemail of Bryce Brown. I'm not here right now, busy fumbling a sure TD. Please direct all calls to Kyle Orton"

"Hi, you've reached joesixpack, President of the Kyle Orton Fan Club, if you're here to talk about the KC game, please do not mention his 29.3 QBR or the 259 yards he threw on 49 attempts."

Edited by Heels20X6

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy seems to have made his money playing a game and is going to step out before hanging around too long and further damaging his health. From a football perspective this is a hit since the team is going to be in the market for a QB to compete with EJ (I don't think the team drafts a QB around pick 50). But if I was Orton getting a last chance to start and going out with a good season isn't a bad way to go. The guy made a lot of money for a QB who never got that huge starting QB money so why keep playing if your heart isn't fully in it?

Look, I'm sorry that you'll have to change your avatar, but Orton retired. He wasn't good enough to make the playoffs. He had a good look at it, and didn't do enough to win the KC, MIA, or OAK games.

You can continue your hindsight crusade, but I won't see it, since I'm blocking you.

I'm heartbroken. No, really. Whatever will I do?

Yeah still no excuse for the fumble. That was bush league.

At that point either dump or run not stable around in the pocket and fumble.

The thing is, he didn't go fetal on that play, which was a rarity for him. He only fumbled 3 times all season (a very low number - Luck fumbled 12 times), so it is a bit rich that he's being condemned for fumbling on the one play where he didn't go fetal (which he does to protect the ball).

Edited by dave mcbride

My personal feeling on the subject is that the front office knows that Orton is not the answer. He couldn't get them to the playoffs this year despite stellar DST play and there's no way to guarantee that the DST will be equal to the task next year. So they pull him aside and say "bow out gracefully or get fired AGAIN". The organization will thank him for his services, give him praise for taking them above 0.500 for the first time in 10 years and move on. The big question is whether the EJ Manuel experiment gets a reboot.

Again, league average + afraid of getting hurt = not good enough for this team.

I agree that he's not good enough, but when you don't have any league average QBs, one who is is a step up. Sadly.

They're not any better without Orton. In fact, as of right now they're worse.

Edited by dave mcbride

The thing is, he didn't go fetal on that play, which was a rarity for him. He only fumbled 3 times all season (a very low number - Luck fumbled 12 times), so it is a bit rich that he's being condemned for fumbling on the one play where he didn't go fetal (which he does to protect the ball).

Who is condemning him.

It was a bad play he should have got rid of the ball or ran.

That's it.

Free Agent QB check list

1.) NFL quality OC - nope

2.) NFL quality O-line - nope

3.) No incumbent at QB - nope (lingering former 1st rounder)

4.) Playmakers on offense - yup.

Not looking good to lure a quality Free Agent

If we get just 1 or two OL free agents it will be a big deal.

We have the money to get Hughes extended, save some for Dareus, keep Spikes, keep Searcy. We also need to look at keeping RFA Thigpen, UFA's Wynn, Easley, Dean, and ERFA's Hogan and Bryant.

Figure

Hughes $10mm+bonus ($1.5mm)

Spikes $3mm, 3 years

Searcy $2.75mm, 4 years

Wynn $2mm, 3 years

Bryant $1.3mm, 2 years

Easley $1.05mm, 2 years

Dean $1mm, 2 years

Hogan $3.5mm, 3 years

total: $24.6mm

Cutting Rivers saves us $1.7mm. Orton saved us $5mm but is still $1.5mm dead money for his bonus. We are currently about $24mm under the cap as is before we sign anyone. If we can get creative in some contracts we could take a run at Bulaga, Uiaaauaiuiuaiauiapuuiiauaiiaiauta or someone else.

My personal feeling on the subject is that the front office knows that Orton is not the answer. He couldn't get them to the playoffs this year despite stellar DST play and there's no way to guarantee that the DST will be equal to the task next year. So they pull him aside and say "bow out gracefully or get fired AGAIN". The organization will thank him for his services, give him praise for taking them above 0.500 for the first time in 10 years and move on. The big question is whether the EJ Manuel experiment gets a reboot.

Good point... I think he gets a fair shot along w/ others

Do people understand the concept of league average? I ask that seriously.

Sure do... Orton ranks

QBR: 25th in the league

Yards: 22nd

ypa: 30th

rating: 19th

tds: 19th

ypg: 16th

To me that is lower than league average that is bottom of the league...