If Marrone wants to keep Hackett I'm okay with it

TheFunPolice

I don't like the job Hackett has done, and I would replace him.

However, my philosophy is that you have to believe in the people you hire and let them do the job their way.

You CANNOT be successful in life trying to be something you are not.

If you believe in St. Doug then you have to let him have his staff. If I were calling the shots I would make my opinion of Hackett known as well as my willingness to pay top dollar for a better OC.

But it would be up to the HC. Ultimately he will be expected to improve on 9-7 so if he sticks with Hackett he will sink or swim with him.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. That is a good business practice in general.

The problem with Hackett is that he has regressed. He had a revolving door at the QB position last year and yet had a top-10 Running game and a middle of pack offense that simply couldn't score in the RedZone (28th in scoring).

Come 2014, the same problems have persisted (RedZone scoring) and inability to run the football. He has given too many options to Orton to chuck the ball and with his inconsistency, that is not playing to the strength of this team. The Oakland game was the best example.. The offense threw away that game by not showing balance. They rushed for 20 yards against one of the worst Run defense team in the league. That is simply inexcusable.

If they enter next season with Hackett and Orton, I will not order the Sunday ticket. I live in Charlotte and did this twice before, Dick Jerkrons first season and his last season. This offense feels worse than those. That is pretty hard to do when you have a defense like this. I don't care if they squeak a bunch of close games out. I don't want to watch an O barf all over the field week after week and that is all those two are capable of doing:(

Hacket has got to go. IMO he is the reason this team did not make the playoffs. They lost too many winnable games because of poor play calling and misuse of personnel on offense. Get a proven OC and this is a playoff team with no other changes.

I'm not ok with it and here's why.

1. Hackett has proven he thinks he's smarter than other OC's in the league by trying to buck the trend and beat a team in the opposite fashion (ie passing against Houston when they can't stop the run), and giving up on the run against Oakland (another bad run D team)

2. Hackett does not make adjustments in game. He either isn't smart enough to do it, doesn't prepare for teams shutting down parts of his offense or is just plain stubborn and won't give up. This isn't a good thing.

3. Hackett does not have a grasp on game control, and overall just seems to be lost when he's out there. He isn't NFL ready yet.

You don't give an unproven coach total control of the a franchise.

Hackett has done nothing to show he deserves a job in the NFL.

Get rid of the croney, and bring in a real coordinator.

No one has done that. They've just given him control of his assistants, like every other team in the NFL.

You also have to know when to cut ties with something / someone that is not working. Hackett has his chance, two years with no improvement (and arguably a worse performance) is enough evidence for me. If he stays, I'll be far from thrilled.

When i can sit on my couch and predict the Bills next offensive play over 50% of the time, there is a serious problem.

Edited by Mark80

Hackett has done nothing to show he deserves a job in the NFL.

Get rid of the croney, and bring in a real coordinator.

I agree he should go but there is no reason to call him names. It is the off season now. Doug can help Nate get his driver's license and give him advice on getting a prom date. This would show him that it is just business, nothing personal.

I get the dislike for Hackett, and I would want him gone as well.

BUT St. Doug wants him as the OC until he makes a move otherwise himself. If he is willing to stake his position on Hackett then I think you have to let him do it.

That doesn't really make sense. So you let him continue to drag down the team with an inept coordinator while you have a defense that is clearly playoff ready? Sorry but I've got to think that some of that Defense is saying to themselves behind closed doors, well damn coach we'd be a playoff team if our offense was worth a damn.

The Bills can't sit there and let Marrone retain Hackett because he wants to stake his own job on it. It's time to force Doug's hand. If he wants to be that loyal of a coach then he can hit the unemployment line with Nate.

People OK with Hackett staying=People who wanted Nixon to remain president

Correction for some - People OK with Hackett staying= People who consistently see Wr's running free in his offense on the All 22 film review.

Not enamored with the guy but facts are facts.

That doesn't really make sense. So you let him continue to drag down the team with an inept coordinator while you have a defense that is clearly playoff ready? Sorry but I've got to think that some of that Defense is saying to themselves behind closed doors, well damn coach we'd be a playoff team if our offense was worth a damn.

The Bills can't sit there and let Marrone retain Hackett because he wants to stake his own job on it. It's time to force Doug's hand. If he wants to be that loyal of a coach then he can hit the unemployment line with Nate.

I sort of agree that it should be Marrone's call. Look, Marrone's 9-7 record is a fluke and he is a poor coach, but 9-7 is 9-7. I doubt they fire him. I think Marrone's best path is to be relatively hands off and get the best coordinators. He does not seem to have the self confidence to allow this to happen. If he did, he could be a good HC. By forcing him to hire a competent OC who can legally buy a beer, his thin skin would be exposed and everything would be completely tense. Either way 2015 is likely to be a bad season and both Marrone and Hackett will be gone. If Marrone miraculously grew a thicker skin and hired top notch O assistants he could become a good coach. I just don't think he has it in him.

People OK with Hackett staying=People who wanted Nixon to remain president

So thinking that Marrone should be able to control who is on his staff is the same thing as wanting a president who blatantly and repeatedly abused his power to remain in office?

I am truly sad when I think of the state of education in this country.

That said, to those who want to keep Marrone but dictate who he hires/fires: so you think he is worth keeping, you trust him, but you want to tell him how to do his job?

That never works.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't try to talk him into replacing Hackett himself. But if he insisted I would say "okay, coach. It's your call. Also, your expectation this season is the playoffs, and that is what your evaluation will be based upon."

Edited by TheFunPolice

So thinking that Marrone should be able to control who is on his staff is the same thing as wanting a president who blatantly and repeatedly abused his power to remain in office?

I am truly sad when I think of the state of education in this country.

That said, to those who want to keep Marrone but dictate who he hires/fires: so you think he is worth keeping, you trust him, but you want to tell him how to do his job?

That never works.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't try to talk him into replacing Hackett himself. But if he insisted I would say "okay, coach. It's your call. Also, your expectation this season is the playoffs, and that is what your evaluation will be based upon."

Sorry- Not to brag, but I have a Master's Degree in American History.