Al Davis eternal flame

How odd is it that Oakland has an eternal flame in their stadium for Al Davis?

An ETERNAL FLAME for crying out loud. For the owner of a football team.

JFK, MLK and AL?

http://cdn.fansided....nd-raiders2.jpg

"Ask NOT, what the Raidas can do for you, but what can you do for the Raidas." "I have a dream today, just win, baby."

I mean, the dude is/was an Icon. A legendary NFL figure.

And its not like he was some rich guy who inherited a team and skated along for a couple decades. He started as a coach, if you remember. Just an Icon.

I'm all for it. Not at Canton, mind you. But in the house he built, in the league he helped build, I like it.

---

And not only that, but from your scant thread title, probably 90% of us knew the topic already. Like I said, Icon.

Edited by maddenboy

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Al was the only person ever to serve as the head coach, GM and owner of a team. We all remember the creepy zombie look of his later years, but Al was a GIANT in the AFL and NFL, right up there with Ralph.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Al was the only person ever to serve as the head coach, GM and owner of a team. We all remember the creepy zombie look of his later years, but Al was a GIANT in the AFL and NFL, right up there with Ralph.

I did not know it but looked it up. Turns out he was also in the military where he began coaching. He med Sid Gillman, father of the pass, who took him on in San Diego as an assistant.

I found this interesting:

Gillman_Coaching_Tree.gif

I saw it when I was at the Texans at Raiders game. It was pretty rad.

The weird thing about the flame is the Davis family still hasn't told anyone that they will play in Oakland in 2015.

Actually it was reported recently they signed a one year agreement to play in Oakland next season. I think it was announced during one of the Saturday games last weekend.