Fan opinion - Wk 17 QB

MClem06

Starting QB wk 17  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who should play wk 17 vs pats?

• Orton
    • Manuel
    • Orton First Half, Manuel Second Half

Don't do this to EJ now. NOT against the Pats. let him prepare for next season and re-emerge then instead of feeding him to the wolves now. It's too late for this. Let the Pats put Orton out of his misery and bury his azs on the couch once and for all.

Edited by BmarvB

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do this to EJ now. NOT against the Pats. let him prepare for next season and re-emerge then instead of feeding him to the wolves now. It's too late for this. Let the Pats put Orton out of his misery and bury his azs on the couch once and for all.

I voted to play EJ, but I kind of agree with your thinking here.

We gain nothing by starting this journeyman scrub. There had been no upgrade. But Saint Doug can't risk playing EJ because if he plays well, he would look terrible.

8-8 with Ortoniary is the definition of a wasted season.

I also don't want these guys to have any more of an influence on EJ. I'd rather pray that there's an offensive shakeup and EJ comes in fresh, without a terrible loss to the Patriots.

We gain nothing by starting this journeyman scrub. There had been no upgrade. But Saint Doug can't risk playing EJ because if he plays well, he would look terrible.

8-8 with Ortoniary is the definition of a wasted season.

But you gain little and risk far more in starting Manuel in a meaningless game. If he goes out and lights it up, what does that tell anyone about Manuel when it's done in a glorified preseason game? That he's capable of playing a decent game? We already know that. But it's not a "real" game though, is it? So the accomplishment is diminished anyway.

More importantly, what if he screws the pooch playing in a meaningless game alongside less motivated teammates, which I think is much more likely in a run for the bus scenario? It's too easy for OL to let up on blocks, too easy for receivers to cut routes short and not extend themselves. If EJ has a bad game then all the team has done is raise the volume of the clamor to 11. I'd want to avoid that, especially in a meaningless game.

Developmentally, it does little for Manuel to play in a meaningless game with teammates that have meaningless expectations. Organizationally, it's a schit storm of additional criticism I can avoid immediately in the aftermath of another unsuccessful season.

Keep EJ on the shelf until next year. Orton drove the bus, he gets to park it.

GO BILLS!!!

It benefits the organization to see what Manuel can do in the last game.

Exactly, which is why Whaley should make an exception this week and make a unilateral decision in favor of EJ. Marrone will put his W-L record ahead of the organization's good, and NOBODY comes before the good of the team.

I used to think Manuel, until a day or two ago. The reason I wanted him to start was just to see if he's gotten any better while on the bench. But a few threads on here with solid rationale ultimately convinced me that anything we see out of Manuel, bad or good, won't ultimately mean much. So Marrone is better off sticking with Orton for the last start. However, I assumed that Orton will be as bad this week as he's been the last couple months, and in that scenario, I would like to see EJ come in off the bench.

Exactly, which is why Whaley should make an exception this week and make a unilateral decision in favor of EJ. Marrone will put his W-L record ahead of the organization's good, and NOBODY comes before the good of the team.

It only benefits the organization if EJ Manuel has a great game.

What are the odds that Manuel, after 12 weeks on the bench, on the road vs. NE*, in a meaningless game with teammates running for the bus, comes in and plays lights out?

I wouldn't risk it just to give fans a reason to B word even more if he has a poor game.

GO BILLS!!!

With Denver's loss, this is a meaningless game for NE. Could be a good learning opportunity for EJ.

If I were the head coach, I'd let EJ play and tell him to throw the ball to Sammy Watkins at least 15 times whether he is covered or not. This game is meaningless so why not literally put your 2013, 2014 and 2015 1st round cards on the table against the best team in your division and the AFC. Is this something to be afraid of? Why? This is just a game. The Bills used 3 first round picks for this specific QB and this specific WR to supposedly be the spearhead to ending the Patriots reign over their division and conference.

I don't get the fear factor of seeing Manuel throwing the ball to Watkins. Let's see what Revis' got, ya know? Worst thing is we lose, at least we tried with the 2 guys who are supposed to be the future of the team.

Keep EJ on the shelf until next year. Orton drove the bus, he gets to park it.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree, he drove it this far, let him go ahead and crash it now....

Oh waitaminnit! He already did crash it. Make him tow away the wreckage on his way out.

Edited by BmarvB

Orton should play as long as Brady is in the game....I am guessing one series. then backup time...both sides. I remember a few years ago Indy came in with Payton at QB, nothing to play for. Peyton played the first series.....and Fredex ran for about 200 in the snow. Didn't mean anything, but was entertaining.