Now that I've calmed down a bit...

As I stand back and take a look at the bigger picture of the 2014 Buffalo Bills season, and now that I've calmed down from the firestorm of pissed-off-ness after yesterday's egg that they laid in Oakland, I honestly think that what happened yesterday might have been the best thing that could have happened to this organization heading into 2015.

Sure, as fans, we're sick of the mediocrity. Sick of missing the playoffs. Sick of the ineptitude of the offense.

But look at it like this: What IF we had beat the Raiders yesterday? We would have been 9-6, and, even if we were to have done the unthinkable and won in New England this week, there was still a pretty good chance we weren't getting in.

Then what? Even with a win in Oakland and a loss in New England, we would've been 9-7. The first time we've had a winning record since '04.

Russ Brandon has already gone on record saying that Marrone has "changed the culture" in Buffalo.

Really? Lord knows what would have been said had we gone 10-6 and still missed the playoffs, which was likely what would've been the case anyway.

Marrone and Hackett would almost certainly be retained and we'd be "stuck with them".

Orton would've been offered an extension, I have no doubts about this whatsoever, btw.

Now, after yesterday's horrendous outing that's been almost a microcosm of the last 15 years of quarterbacking in Western New York, if nothing else, this team NEEEEEEEDS a quarterback!

This position has compromised what otherwise is a very talented football team for too long now.

We will not win this division nor seriously compete for a playoff spot until this is addressed.

Secondly, I believe that Marrone may be asked to let Hackett go. Nathaniel Hackett CANNOT be here next year. He just CAN'T! Given Marrone's unsettled relationship with the Bills' brass, I think we may see him pull a 'Mularkey' and resign.

I want nothing to do with Jay Cutler. I honestly have never got nor seen what people see in Cutler. Is he good for a 300 yard, 3 TD game every now and again? Sure!...but so is Geno Smith..

Personally, I'd love to see RGIII or Kaepernick here. RGIII needs some work, but I certainly dont think he ever really got a fair shot in Washington given his bad relationship with Jay Gruden and Shanny leaving him in that playoff game a few years back with that shattered knee, and nearly killing his career before it even really began.

So, would I love to beat the Patriots this week, in a stadium we've never won in against a team I despise more than anything on this planet? Sure.

But now that the playoff hopes are out the door officially and Ive cooled down a bit, Im more about the bigger picture here.

Marrone says we're "stuck with him".

Hey St. Doug, news flash: We now have an owner not named Ralph Wilson. A guy whose pockets are overflowing and I highly doubt he's gonna stand for mediocrity.

Not so fast my friend...

Not only might 10-6 missed the playoffs anyway, but we woulda got Served in the playoffs anyway.

Does anyone think this team can make a run?

Does anyone think its better to back into the playoffs and get blown out, just to say we were there? (actually, maybe, after 15 yrs).

Yes, we're better than last year. But I dont wanna just sneak into the playoffs now, because we have no shot to win it all. No shot at all. Until we get a QB.

Every Bills fan has to ask, after these past two years is whether or not this team is ascending, treading water, or descending. It'd be hard to say they're on the up or down at this point, but they do very well treading water coming in comparison to the previous GM/HC. A probable +2 in wins from 2013 to 2014 is nice, but not answering the QB question, seeing a regression of the OL, and not winning games like home versus NE, KC, and at OAK isn't enough.

New owners are in the building and God rest Mr. Wilson, but the team had stagnated. I hope and believe their expectation is to be better than average, which is what the 2014 Bills are. We'll see in the next few weeks.

There's a very good reason why Kyle Orton has been a career journeyman Quarterback and why he was "retired" before Whaley contacted his agent.

Is he good for 2, 3 maybe 4 good games? Sure. But so was Fitz..so was Trent Edwards.

Backups are backups in the National Football League for a reason.

Even if the Bills squeaked out a victory against the Raiders, it was apparent to me early in the game that there is no way that this team beats the Patriots.

By losing to the Raiders, the Bills will move up in the draft! Maybe their first pick will be 50th pick instead of 56th pick!

By ending the season with a train wreck, the fear that Hackett and Orton will be retained becomes slightly less. I still think Marrone gets another year (unless he does a Mularkey).

I just hope they can keep Schwartz.

Most of the key starting players are still under contract for next year, which bodes well.

One or two linemen, a new OC, and an upgrade at QB,,, is that unreasonable for an offseason wish list? (I'd ask for a tight end as well, but that may seem greedy.)

I was thinking the same thing yesterday, after we beat the Raiders and even if we played tough against the Pats, it would be hard to fire Marrone or Hackett. I was all ready to make that case that things were improving and that another year of tweaking the roster would be best.

But then the abyssmal Raider game happened.

There is absolutely no parallel world in existence in which its acceptable to allow 13 yards rushing to a 2 win team. It should be blatantly obvious that the offense has steadily regressed under this coaching staff. This was not a single bad game; this was the exclamation point on a downward spiral of offensive futility. There is not a single offensive metric that we've improved in 2years... not one.

The only solace from this loss is that hopefully it has pulled back the veil of imaginary progress and revealed what so many die hard fans of this team know to be true. Hopefully, the new ownership doesn't have to waste a year with a football consultant to figure out what needs to change.

This team is close, I still beleve that. Unfortunately, its missing the most important ingredient... a winning coaching staff. Yes, we need a true franchise QB as well. But, if anyone actually thinks the current coaching staff can properly develop a franchise QB, then they're either delusional or just not watching this current team's performance.

You know..i actually love this post.Dont get me wrong, i wanted to win in the worst way yesterday, and am still pissed.

But, as i said in another thread, i think we are closer to a 4 win team than 10 win team. We got damn lucky in 5 wins this year...

I agree with you there. Even watching the game yesterday there was very little difference between the Bills & Raiders. I mean it was supposed to be Buffalo with the great talent edge on D having their way with Oaklands offense. No way. Kind of sobering really. We knew the offense would bog down and they didn't let us down with 5 straight 3 and outs with the game still there for the taking.

Great post.

I honestly think that our QB's next year will be EJ and KO.

I really think there is no one out there this offseason that would be a huge step up unless there is a surprise cut

CBF

I respectfully disagree. Once Harbaugh leaves San Francisco, Kaepernick will more than likely be gone as well. He's started in a SuperBowl and, with some work on his mechanics, could be great for years to come.

RGIII as I said never got a real, fair shot in Washington. Ton of upside with both quarterbacks.

I firmly believe either would be an upgrade here with a good OC.

This team is still at least 2 years away from sniffing the division

Guarantee Marrone stays

They have ZERO qb and still need 2 guards

I think the easy thing to do is blow the whole coaching staff up but seriously, we have arguably the worst QB in the NFL and no offensive line. How in the world can anyone possibly figure out if this coaching staff is any good with such glaring holes. Personally, I don't care if the coaches stay or go....wake me up when they have an actual NFL QB

Edited by BuffaloBaumer

I agree. In the short term the disgraceful loss sucks but in the long term it is good for the future. The game was a reality check on how good/bad this team is and how lacking in quality coaching, qb play and o-line play we have. The loss hopefully forces the FO to make changes. A win yesterday would have given support to the same old mediocrity hiding behind the illusion of a winning record and a mathematically possible chance of a playoff appearance.

RG3 may as well be off the table. He played well vs. Philly...the owner wants him to be the guy going forward. Jay Gruden even said a lot of nice things about him Sat night. RG3 is not going to Buffalo or anywhere else unless a team offers a ridiculous trade.

Cutler should never even be looked at here and i have no idea what Kaepernick's situation is.

A good defense will only carry you so far in this day-in-age of the NFL.

Eventually a defense will wear down if the complimenting offense is abysmal as this one.

The week after week predictable, conservative playcalling of Hackett comboned with the fact that Orton cant hit the broad side of a barn finally took it's toll on the defense.

We, at one point yesterday, had FIVE consecutive three and outs against a 2-12 OAKLAND team! (correct me if i'm wrong).

If this doesn't tell you you need a change at QB and OC then I really don't know what does.

Bills have a solid D build off of, now you guys just need establish an identity on O. Will you be a pass first team (like Indy) or a run it down your throat team (like Seatle). You have a very talented WR in Watson, and Spiller USE TO BE CRAZY good as a RB (maybe a better o line help him re emerge?)

When Brady retires then we will have a chance at the division. Until then, lets try and find a decent QB and sneak into the wildcard next year....

Bills have a solid D build off of, now you guys just need establish an identity on O. Will you be a pass first team (like Indy) or a run it down your throat team (like Seatle). You have a very talented WR in Watson, and Spiller USE TO BE CRAZY good as a RB (maybe a better o line help him re emerge?)

any inside information on when Brady may retire? ;)