Jerry Hughes Comp Pick

boyst

The Bills are going to do what they have been doing. Bring in volume free agents and 1st round wash outs and see if they hit on any.

They will sign more than they lose and there will be no compensatory pick.

We're not getting a pick for Hughes.

It's not gonna happen.

It's a super secret formula and all, but if the Bills lose Hughes they almost certainly will be getting a comp pick. He's going to get big dollars and a bunch of low-level contracts are not going to impact that. Barring a big signing the Bills would wind up with a 3rd or 4th round pick. Personally I would franchise the man before I let him leave. If it got nasty with him, then I'd trade him as a last resort (and get more than his comp pick value without having to worry about any offsets). And yes I know that the league frowns on franchising a player only to trade them, but that would not be my intent when I did it. I'd be looking to lock him up long-term.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly compensatory picks are the following year. That means this year we are looking at Byrd, which we will get none from since we signed Graham and AW. Correct me if I am wrong.

That said if we lose Hughes but resign Spiller and either trade or sign a FA QB, we most likely get nothing.

The rule is Buffalo gets nothing, ever.

It's a super secret formula and all, but if the Bills lose Hughes they almost certainly will be getting a comp pick. He's going to get big dollars and a bunch of low-level contracts are not going to impact that. Barring a big signing the Bills would wind up with a 3rd or 4th round pick. Personally I would franchise the man before I let him leave. If it got nasty with him, then I'd trade him as a last resort (and get more than his comp pick value without having to worry about any offsets). And yes I know that the league frowns on franchising a player only to trade them, but that would not be my intent when I did it. I'd be looking to lock him up long-term.

a bunch of low level contract will DRAMATICALLY effect it. to even qualify to look at the dollars and get a pick, you need to lose more bodies than you sign. a special teamer could cancel out hughes.

The rule is Buffalo gets nothing, ever.

as weve never prioritized it like some teams do in roster composition. The ravens, for instance, often talk about targeting signings that were cut from their previous teams as they do not count as a body in. Id also guess similarly in august, all things equal they may keep an expiring contract around to become a qualified loss (again, if two guys are pretty well the same quality otherwise)

It is not a super secret formula.

If team B loses 3 all pros to 100 million contracts each, then signs 4 scrubs for league minimum they receive ZERO compensatory picks.

The Bills are going to sign a bunch of scrubs and will not get a compensatory pick for Hughes.

a bunch of low level contract will DRAMATICALLY effect it. to even qualify to look at the dollars and get a pick, you need to lose more bodies than you sign. a special teamer could cancel out hughes.

as weve never prioritized it like some teams do in roster composition. The ravens, for instance, often talk about targeting signings that were cut from their previous teams as they do not count as a body in. Id also guess similarly in august, all things equal they may keep an expiring contract around to become a qualified loss (again, if two guys are pretty well the same quality otherwise)

It is not a super secret formula.

If team B loses 3 all pros to 100 million contracts each, then signs 4 scrubs for league minimum they receive ZERO compensatory picks.

The Bills are going to sign a bunch of scrubs and will not get a compensatory pick for Hughes.

Incorrect. Players making league minimum do not factor into the equation. I tried to post a link to an article, but no Bleacher Report articles are allowed to be linked here. Also I doubt that the Bills are in real danger of signing more non-minimum FA players than they lose.

What would Jerry Hughes bring in a compensatory pick? If we lost Hughes and Hughes alone, how much is that likely to give us in compensation?

I do understand that it is relative to the talent we bring in but by all expectations losing him + the likely Hairston/Pears (or both) plus Lee Smith... I think we might have a large sum of losses.

3 players not worth anything

Incorrect. Players making league minimum do not factor into the equation. I tried to post a link to an article, but no Bleacher Report articles are allowed to be linked here. Also I doubt that the Bills are in real danger of signing more non-minimum FA players than they lose.

Find a better source then.

We have the best defensive line in football and rush the passer better than anybody else. When you do something better than everyone else in the league, you have to keep that together. If we don't resign Hughes, we must at least tag him and trade him for a first.