Draft a QB every year? Who would we have had?

texasabres

One thing about the Bills that is stunning to me is that they've only drafted one QB over the past seven years (that being EJ). Let that marinate for a minute...ONE QB drafted over seven drafts!!! You have to go back to 3rd rounder Trent Edwards in the 2007 Marshawn Lynch & Poz draft.

It's almost like the Bills don't even try to help themselves find a QB. The Patriots have Tom Brady for cripesakes and they've probably drafted more QB's over 7 seasons than us.

So to chime in on the original question...if the Pegula's said to draft a QB every year until you find one, I'd be all for it. Not saying to blow a 1st and 2nd rounder on one every year but in the 3-5 range there will be some diamonds in the rough.

The OP said he would draft the first QB taken after the Bills' draft pick. So the first QB taken after Buffalo's first round pick was Drew Brees, which happened to be in the 2nd round.

My mistake.

Brees was a Pro Bowler in SD, what are you talking about?

In his fourth year, 2004, yes he was. In 2001, 2002, and 2003, he was not. In fact, he was benched in 2003 because of poor play.

In 2004, the Chargers drafted/acquired a new QB because Brees was beginning to look like a bust to them.

One thing about the Bills that is stunning to me is that they've only drafted one QB over the past seven years (that being EJ). Let that marinate for a minute...ONE QB drafted over seven drafts!!! You have to go back to 3rd rounder Trent Edwards in the 2007 Marshawn Lynch & Poz draft.

What? How could you forget about Levi Brown in 2010?

He was the Bills first pick ....

... in the 7th round.

But, hey, he was drafted, right? That's more than Tuel can say.

But yeah, even if you do factor in Brown, that's still a WTF kind of moment.

If they'd simply kept their picks and drafted the next selected QB with each of their first picks:

Brees

Rodgers

Flacco

Been thru this exercise on this board many times over the years.

Fans just LOVE those first round picks and they hate using them on QB's so you won't get much support. Not having the option to draft another RB or CB is like taking Christmas away from most fans.

As you stated, in reality they wouldn't have missed the guys they took/traded for instead. Not because none of them were good, it's just that the impact of most positions pales compared to QB.

What? How could you forget about Levi Brown in 2010?

He was the Bills first pick ....

... in the 7th round.

But, hey, he was drafted, right? That's more than Tuel can say.

But yeah, even if you do factor in Brown, that's still a WTF kind of moment.

I remember discussions here about whether Levi Brown would beat out Trent Edwards for the starting job. Probably hinged on the incredulity that a team with suspect QBing and a new GM and HC would choose to pass over the most important position on the field as the first step in setting their legacy.

If they'd simply kept their picks and drafted the next selected QB with each of their first picks:

Brees

Rodgers

Flacco

Been thru this exercise on this board many times over the years.

Fans just LOVE those first round picks and they hate using them on QB's so you won't get much support. Not having the option to draft another RB or CB is like taking Christmas away from most fans.

As you stated, in reality they wouldn't have missed the guys they took/traded for instead. Not because none of them were good, it's just that the impact of most positions pales compared to QB.

Yep. At this point, though, I'll be pretty surprised if they don't take a qb in the 2nd or 3rd round next year (assuming a decent one is available, of course). They can't go into next season with only Orton and Manuel.

Brees was a Pro Bowler in SD, what are you talking about?

He WAS a Pro Bowler in SD, but not only did he suck his first three years, the only reason he had the opportunity to start, and thus make it to the Pro Bowl, was because Rivers held out. The Chargers had already said that they planned to have Rivers start and have Brees permanently sent to the bench, but Rivers missed most of training camp because of contract negotiations. Since he wasn't ready, the Chargers were FORCED to play Brees, who then lit it up....and the rest, as they say, is history.

The OP said he would draft the first QB taken after the Bills' draft pick. So the first QB taken after Buffalo's first round pick was Drew Brees, which happened to be in the 2nd round.

I can imagine the calls to cut that bust Brees after year one. Three years? Fuggedaboutit.

In 2004, the Chargers drafted/acquired a new QB because Brees was beginning to look like a bust to them.

Which turned out to be a brilliant move for them.

Brees didn't suck in each of his first three years. He didn't play in his rookie year, went 8-8 in his 2nd year and tailed off in his 3rd. He had very good 2004 & 2005 seasons that basically kept Rivers on the bench.

But the point being is that Chargers didn't sit on Brees, and pulled the trigger to get either Eli or Rivers when they had the opportunity. Granted, the Bills were rarely in a position to get a QB of Eli's or River's caliber. But because they were usually content with their QB moves, and waited too long to see how their QB experiments would work out (JP, Trent, Fitz) they missed out on many guys in the interim.

It will be interesting to see what Whaley has learned from the past.

Which turned out to be a brilliant move for them.

Brees didn't suck in each of his first three years. He didn't play in his rookie year, went 8-8 in his 2nd year and tailed off in his 3rd. He had very good 2004 & 2005 seasons that basically kept Rivers on the bench.

But the point being is that Chargers didn't sit on Brees, and pulled the trigger to get either Eli or Rivers when they had the opportunity. Granted, the Bills were rarely in a position to get a QB of Eli's or River's caliber. But because they were usually content with their QB moves, and waited too long to see how their QB experiments would work out (JP, Trent, Fitz) they missed out on many guys in the interim.

It will be interesting to see what Whaley has learned from the past.

Exactly. Also, I do not think they should give up on Manuel even if they take a QB.

Edited by dave mcbride

We would have ran Brees out of town...he was horrible his 1st 3 years. We give a player about 3 games to develop

I think we need to quantify what horrible means. His stats in San Diego 2002 thru 2005 are respectable and to me show a trendline of improvement. And remember the Chargers were playing 'Marty Ball' at the time so the running game had a lot of focus. Truth be told hindsight shows the Chargers didn't need RIvers and could have simply kept Brees and used that pick on another impact player.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2580/drew-brees