Did anyone see the Graham penalty on Gilmores INT?

klos63

Basically, as I understand it (and I could definitely be wrong), a "spot foul" depends on where the ball ends up compared with where the foul occurred.

So on a return, for instance, if a spot foul happens ahead of where the ball ends up being downed, then the penalty yards are marked off from where the ball is downed. So for instance, if on a kickoff return the foul occurs at the 20 yard line, but the runner only makes it out to the 15, then the yards are walked off from the 15 (the farthest the ball advanced).

On the flip side, if the ball is downed ahead of where the spot foul occurs, then the yards are marked off from where the penalty occurred. So for instance, if the foul occurs at the 20 yard line, but the returner makes it all the way out to the 30, then the yards are walked off from the 20 (where the foul occurred).

That, I believe, is what a spot foul is.

gotcha. and that makes sense.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Bills got called for 9 penalties. Were they all huge plays? Fred's 22 yard run- taken back. Gilmore's 50 yard interception return- off board. Graham's interception return- off board. Gilmore's 3rd and 7 stop on Sanders fake-1st down broncos. Robeys phantom call- 1st down broncos. Did every call negate a big play by Buffalo?

I just re-watched the play (the highlight is up at NFL.com).

If indeed they called out the correct number, then it's a total, complete phantom call, and someone should be fired.

Graham said he retaliated against a Bronco's player that cut him during the Gilmore return and they flagged him for it.

Graham said he retaliated against a Bronco's player that cut him during the Gilmore return and they flagged him for it.

that matches what some posters earlier said.

rewatching the highlights now:

even slo-mo, i have a hard time saying gilmore wasnt early on his PI. is everyone looking at the timing, and disregarding the helmet to helmet discussion?

that matches what some posters earlier said.

rewatching the highlights now:

even slo-mo, i have a hard time saying gilmore wasnt early on his PI. is everyone looking at the timing, and disregarding the helmet to helmet discussion?

It was awfully close. Bang Bang play with one official saying it was fine and one who threw the flag saying it was early.

If you watch the replay, Manning was out of bounds when Gilmore reached him. Would have definitely been a penalty on Gilmore. Mario Williams had a chance to block Manning, but didn't.

I'll have to watch it again. I thought Manning was in bounds, cutting off Gimore's angle and Gilmore stepped OB rather than plow ahead for a few more yards, kinda like our new TE did last week against Cleveland on one of his long receptions.

It was awfully close. Bang Bang play with one official saying it was fine and one who threw the flag saying it was early.

and it was the ref with the front view (which is the ideal for seeing the ball and contact) that threw it. i would have a really hard time saying that was a bad call. you watch that play live from that angle, and i think it gets called more often than not (probably pretty close to always)

I'm also curious (suspicious) about the Kyle Williams holding penalty on Graham 's INT. We would've started on the Denver 20 but lost 40 yards on the call.

The spot of the ball afterwards cinfirms it was a bs call. How does Kyle, and lineman, get 30-40 yards downfield in that short of a time to even get a holding penalty????? If he did held then it couldn't possibly have been ten yards where they marked it from

The spot of the ball afterwards cinfirms it was a bs call. How does Kyle, and lineman, get 30-40 yards downfield in that short of a time to even get a holding penalty????? If he did held then it couldn't possibly have been ten yards where they marked it from

Mr. Pan...it is clear as day on the replay...one might be able to argue that can not definitively see the hold, but one cannot argue the spot where it occured.

And, i could see the refs making either call/non call on the low hit to Graham...64 makes a token effort to reach out towards Gilmore, but pretty sure the intent was just to cut Graham low...which as i understand is illegal

Edited by plenzmd1

Our coaches need to do a better job of coaching our players to not make really dumb mistakes like that. So many avoidable calls, we could have won that game, we had our opportunities.

the flat out dumb penalties as a result of temper were something that haunted detroit in their playoff runs too. its something i was weary of with schwartz. hopefully he can find the balance between intensity and discipline. they are the type that can potentially quickly turn a division winner into a wild card, or a wild card into sitting at home.

Edited by NoSaint

That clears it up

Our coaches need to do a better job of coaching our players to not make really dumb mistakes like that. So many avoidable calls, we could have won that game, we had our opportunities.

A really bad penalty that cost the team points from a veteran player who was brought to the team to provide leadership.

and it was the ref with the front view (which is the ideal for seeing the ball and contact) that threw it. i would have a really hard time saying that was a bad call. you watch that play live from that angle, and i think it gets called more often than not (probably pretty close to always)

It was a bad call. I've explained in other threads to why I believe it was.

I don't see anything here except a guy blocking another guy. Where's the penalty?

Isn't there a rule where you can't launch yourself like a rocket, lifting both feet off of the ground to block someone? Or did I just invent that?

Edited by Magox

I don't see anything here except a guy blocking another guy. Where's the penalty?

Picture one was the initial cut of Graham. Picture two is Graham retaliation by jumping on the guy after he was already on the ground. 15 yard penalty for unnecessary roughness. Case closed.