Sammy Watkins = The Real Deal

Haef

Curious why you'd say that. He's caught 76% of passes thrown to him (29 of 38) for an 11 yd avg. Watkins has amazing hands and has caught 52% of passes (51 of 98) for 13.6 yd avg. I'm not suggesting Hogan's a rival to Watkins, (Watkins gets thrown more deep balls, which are lower percentage), but why shouldn't he be playing?

I agree. I like Hogan. He reminds me of Wes Welker. He comes to play every week.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either Orton or the offensive coaches Marrone and Hackett refused to throw to him for over half the game. It's stupid. Watkins, woods, Williams and Goodwin are our playmakers along with Fred. It's ridiculous the offense is not built around them.

Sammy not only played great in the passing game, he BEASTED in blocking today. The guy makes the running game and passing game better, he's got so many tools. The fact that he was targeted THREE !@#$ING TIMES in the first half is criminal. I'm sure the blame can be spread around between Orton and Hackett both for that gaffe -- the fact that it CONTINUES to happen game in and game out falls on St. Doug.

Because stats are often stupid. Hogan gets three yard passes all the time. Hogan gets six yards on third and seven, or the equivalent all the time. He gets tackled when someone is near him immediately all the time.

Thank you for your sanity. :beer:

You do understand don't you that yes Hogan is great to have as a Bill, but a big part of his accomplishments is that not only is the opponents #1 CB (lets say a Revis level player) is pretty much assigned to cover Watkins all over the field. In addition, most teams do not have a Revis and Watkins forces them to virtually always double-team him.

Add to this that our clear #2 Woods has demonstrated the talent to produce 100 yards with the advantage Watkins gives him of attracting o much attention.

There is a reason why Hogan is able to get such separation from coverage. Both Watkins and Woods have gone to the other ide of the field and also Chandler has a safety deep. It also no coincidence that many of the great plays by Hogan are at the end of games. When the other team's # 1,2, or 3 CB ha pulled hammy or is sitting out of breath, Hogan gets to work on the opponents #4 CB or a safety.

Hogan s a good player, but really big part of why he is good is Watkins and also Woods.

Because stats are often stupid. Hogan gets three yard passes all the time. Hogan gets six yards on third and seven, or the equivalent all the time. He gets tackled when someone is near him immediately all the time.

Sorry but I'm gonna call you out on this. Stats are often stupid? So how is it that you know Mike WIlliams is better than Hogan? Could it possibly be that Mike Williams put up good "numbers/stats" in TB and that's why you think he's better? Otherwise putting stats aside their measurables are fairly similar:

Chris Hogan:

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 221

40 time: 4.5 secs (10 yard split 1.57)

Bench press: 28 reps

3-cone drill: 6.75 secs

Mike Williams:

Height: 6'2"

40 time: 4.53 secs (10 yard split 1.53)

Bench press: 8 reps

3-cone drill: 6.9 secs

All of this matters very little if the QB throwing the ball can't throw it accurately. So you can argue until you are blue in the face that Marrone is leaving the "better" player on the bench, although he was injured, but I think you are almost certainly using past performance (stats) to make that judgement.

Rookie receivers typically do not light the league on fire, for many reasons. Sammy just posted his fourth 100-yd game as a rookie, tieing Glenn Bass and Elbert Dubenion, with inferior quarterbacking and while playing through significant injuries. If we somehow get a real QB, Sammy will be a star. He is definitely as advertised, and worth the extra first round pick.

Just throw him the damn ball..... Even the announcers were commenting on the formations and routes not conducive to producing targets.

Again look at targets and passes for someone like Odell Beckham (15 of 42 passes thrown by Eli yesterday) v. Watkins 12 of 57 (Chandler 11 & Jackson 14).

A lot of stats to throw back and forth, but when people complain about trading up and having a star to cheer for, I'll take it.....

Sorry but I'm gonna call you out on this. Stats are often stupid? So how is it that you know Mike WIlliams is better than Hogan? Could it possibly be that Mike Williams put up good "numbers/stats" in TB and that's why you think he's better? Otherwise putting stats aside their measurables are fairly similar:

Chris Hogan:

Height: 6'1"

40 time: 4.5 secs (10 yard split 1.57)

Bench press: 28 reps

3-cone drill: 6.75 secs

Mike Williams:

Height: 6'2"

40 time: 4.53 secs (10 yard split 1.53)

Bench press: 8 reps

3-cone drill: 6.9 secs

All of this matters very little if the QB throwing the ball can't throw it accurately. So you can argue until you are blue in the face that Marrone is leaving the "better" player on the bench, although he was injured, but I think you are almost certainly using past performance (stats) to make that judgement.

Does that say that Mike Williams put up only 8 reps? Or is that a misprint? Seriously 8? To me that means he has a terrible work ethic if that's true. An athlete in his young 20's that weighs 220lbs should be doing more than 8 reps of 225. That's pathetic.

Does that say that Mike Williams put up only 8 reps? Or is that a misprint? Seriously 8? To me that means he has a terrible work ethic if that's true. An athlete in his young 20's that weighs 220lbs should be doing more than 8 reps of 225. That's pathetic.

Yup. 8.

So, other than garbage time what exactly did Sammy do? Besides have yet another 3 drops when it mattered? Oh wait...that was Orton. Never mind.

Sammy is the most over-rated rookie ever. He's really not very good. or...any better than Stevie was.

Ohhhhhh, I get the joke here. You're good!!!

There's no way Hogan did 28 reps. He's stronger than most defensive/offensive linemans. 225 for 28 reps he's a mini beast

I believe the debate is whether or not he's worth TWO first round picks...not one.

The good news is he is worth one. Unlike say Aaron Maybin or John McCargo. We can just imagine we used our #9 pick and the 4th to get him, and that next year's pick was a bust. Unless of course Cleveland gets someone useful out of the pick in which case we'll never hear the end of it.

Sammy not only played great in the passing game, he BEASTED in blocking today. The guy makes the running game and passing game better, he's got so many tools. The fact that he was targeted THREE !@#$ING TIMES in the first half is criminal.

There was a play in the first half where pre snap, the cover two safety on his side crept up to the line leaving sammy in press single man with the closet safety at the far hash. Orton never even looked to that side. I just don't get it. That should be a shot for a td....

Sammy not only played great in the passing game, he BEASTED in blocking today. The guy makes the running game and passing game better, he's got so many tools. The fact that he was targeted THREE !@#$ING TIMES in the first half is criminal. I'm sure the blame can be spread around between Orton and Hackett both for that gaffe -- the fact that it CONTINUES to happen game in and game out falls on St. Doug.

This doesn't get mentioned enough, and it's hardly the first time I've noticed his blocking this season. It's an element of his game that very few WRs possess, and he's not just passable; he's got elite blocking skills for a WR.

It's too bad that most of his production he has had in the last 4 weeks came at a point were the defense was playing to run the clock out. If this was Kelvin Benjamin or some other rookie Watkins is getting compared to people would be screaming that it was "garbage time". But that said he made a few nice plays yesterday, he did fumble and we have two horrible QB's.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Unless of course Cleveland gets someone useful out of the pick in which case we'll never hear the end of it.

or anyone useful is drafted after clevelands pick by any pick not owned by us.

It's too bad that most of his production he has had in the last 4 weeks came at a point were the defense was playing to run the clock out. If this was Kelvin Benjamin or some other rookie Watkins is getting compared to people would be screaming that it was "garbage time". But that said he made a few nice plays yesterday, he did fumble and we have two horrible QB's.

in the 3rd quarter of a game that ended up a 1 score game is a tough one to write off as total trash time. its also not just the yardage people are looking at but the athleticism.

Edited by NoSaint