Mike Williams. Ugh. Just ugh.

YoloinOhio

what crap is he saying other than responding truthfully to what we all can see? There is no damn reason given by the the team as to why a guy with mad hops and gets open does not even get activated for games. Anything to improve our God-awful RZ offense should be worth a try.

You guess he doesn't get what??? That he doesn't stick to the party line when asked? I am really curious as to your line of thinking.

Yep. I don't care if you hate Marrone, he's a coach, you're a player. Understand the chain of command.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if that was the reason for the "blow-up" between Marrone and Whaley early this season ........... Whaley telling Marrone that he was trading for Williams, and Marrone feeling that Williams had quit on the team in college said that he didn't want him on the team .... both digging their heels in and Whaley got adamant about getting Mike, and Marrone getting adamant that he wouldn't play him.

Just a guess on my part because I can't figure out why Mike doesn't get more playing time in the red zone

And I think this is a pretty good guess because quite frankly nothing else makes sense. But there's also something to the fact that Tampa just gave up on him after what was described as an "injury plagued 2013 season" -- there obviously has to be more to it than injuries since they wouldn't dump a guy for a 6th round pick who had nearly 1,000 yards receiving in 2 of his first 3 years, and 65 catches even in his "down" year. As I've said before, I think it's safe to assume that Marrone is stubborn and that Williams must have run afoul of some (many?) of Marrone's rules or expectations for off-the-field conduct. But Marrone also doesn't want to get fired, so I can't believe that he'd sit a guy pretty much all season (a guy with a hefty salary) for no good reason at all. More than meets the eye here, and I do agree that at this point it would just be best to cut him and move on. UPDATE: Williams is listed as "questionable/illness" for Sunday. Huh?

What does it say about a personnel department who acquires players the HC doesn't like?

That the HC should worry more about coaching a player up and less about holding grudges from, IMO, what started in MW college years. That's like a psycho chick move.

I'm assuming this really was posted "6 hours ago" like it says? If so, I guess Mike Williams is happy with his 6 mill because it's unlikely he'll ever get another job in the NFL. Not because he's smoking weed (everyone knows NFL players do that), but because he's essentially blowing pot smoke right in Bills' management's faces ...

Quick question: Who in their respective roles is more successful? WR Mike Williams formerly of TB who entered 2014 with 215 receptions, 2947 yards and 25 TD's? Or Doug Marrone, 13-15 as a NFL HC?

It was the Bills GM who made that trade, ostensibly without Marrone's input or direct conflict with the move. What does it say about a personnel department who acquires players the HC doesn't like?

Marrone seemed fine with the acquisition of Williams at first. I think the grudge goes back to week *four against the Texans when Williams made a post game comment about the Bills OC not understanding the Texans were in a different coverage then the one they had anticipated, and yet stayed with the same game plan until late into the third quarter. Williams basically stated things tend to not work well when your playing against a different coverage then the one you game planned for.

That's in the official Buffalo Bills videos on their website. *Sept 28th press conference "we adjusted a little too late"

Regardless, seems so lame to keep a known red zone scoring talent like Williams inactive or only on special teams for any reason. The stupidity of the current offensive coaching staff is unbelievable, and I can't hardly wait for the off season.

EDIT: thought the video was against the Chargers, and it was actually against the Texans. Funny thing is Mike Williams had 2 receptions for 84 yards, and a TD in that game. Then Williams remained a starter for Detroit 2 rec 8 yards. Then went MIA for the Patriots game.

i remember reading that williams showed up late to the patriots game(like 12:30) and Marrone told him he wasnt going to play

Pretty big grudge for being late. Anyway, I have a tough time believing Hogan is the better option ... Edited by FeartheLosing

Marrone seemed fine with the acquisition of Williams at first. I think the grudge goes back to week three against the Chargers when Williams made a post game comment about the Bills OC not understanding the Chargers were in a different coverage then the one they had anticipated, and yet stayed with the same game plan until late into the third quarter. Williams basically stated things tend to not work well when your playing against a different coverage then the one you game planned for. That's in the official Buffalo Bills videos on their website.

Regardless, seems so lame to keep a known red zone scoring talent like Williams inactive or only on special teams for any reason. The stupidity of the current offensive coaching staff is unbelievable, and I can't hardly wait for the off season.

could be it, what a bunch of thin-skinned weaklings

Marrone seemed fine with the acquisition of Williams at first. I think the grudge goes back to week three against the Chargers when Williams made a post game comment about the Bills OC not understanding the Chargers were in a different coverage then the one they had anticipated, and yet stayed with the same game plan until late into the third quarter. Williams basically stated things tend to not work well when your playing against a different coverage then the one you game planned for. That's in the official Buffalo Bills videos on their website.

i remember reading that williams showed up late to the patriots game(like 12:30) and Marrone told him he wasnt going to play

He will be in NE next year balling out with fellow underappreciated LaFell.

How many reps did he get? On tv I only really saw the batted ball towards him and that he was out a few of the others that I was looking

The trade was pre draft and the fight in August.... So I doubt it. Though it might've been a catalyst.

Marrone did come out positively publicly at the trade but I suppose what else could he do regardless

According to Buffalo rumblings he got no snaps against KC. I tried looking for other games but found little.

Does it seem like he only talks to Rodak?

I've noticed the same. Rodhack ain't that special that he gets an e clusive but he may be making a story out of nothing. Though, its hardly a story. Edited by jboyst62

You would think that the "crack" journalists in Buffalo would get the inside scoop on what is really going on here.

I personally find it hard to believe that Marrone is the villain here. After all. let's remember back to the preseason. Williams was the one getting most of the reps with the first team, while Robert Woods appeared to be the guy in Doug's doghouse. Williams was also a key component early in the season when EJ was starting. He had some notable receptions -- including one that helped to set up the winning field goal in overtime against the Bears in week 1 and the long TD in the Houston game. He has been practically MIA since then.

Maybe it is Orton who has a problem with him? I only wonder because the timing of all these issues appears to coincide with Orton being named the starter. I also remember that when Williams' agent asked for a trade, it was Whaley who said something along the lines of "Well, if he really is a #1 WR like he thinks he is..."

I got no problem with Chris Hogan, but I would really like to see Williams get a chance. I almost feel, in preseason, they just decided that Chris Hogan was going to get every possible chance to succeed. I don't buy that Robert Woods was dogging it in practice, or anything else. I think it was all about Chris Hogan. Earlier in the summer, when Marrone was supposedly shouting down people in the front office, and daring Russ to fire him, there were rumors that part of the friction between coach and management was Marrones' seeming unwillingness to work with certain players. Can't remember where I read it/heard it, but apparently, Whaley was po'd that Marrone was not really giving guys like Kouandjio much of a chance, even in training camp, and seemed uninterested in working with them. The Mike Williams situation seems similar. If he was really such a dog in practice, or a pain in the ass to work with, why keep him around? All those wondering why Tampa Bay was so willing to trade him, should keep in mind that the Bucs gave him a pretty nice raise just the previous season, based on his production.

I got no problem with Chris Hogan, but I would really like to see Williams get a chance. I almost feel, in preseason, they just decided that Chris Hogan was going to get every possible chance to succeed. I don't buy that Robert Woods was dogging it in practice, or anything else. I think it was all about Chris Hogan. Earlier in the summer, when Marrone was supposedly shouting down people in the front office, and daring Russ to fire him, there were rumors that part of the friction between coach and management was Marrones' seeming unwillingness to work with certain players. Can't remember where I read it/heard it, but apparently, Whaley was po'd that Marrone was not really giving guys like Kouandjio much of a chance, even in training camp, and seemed uninterested in working with them. The Mike Williams situation seems similar. If he was really such a dog in practice, or a pain in the ass to work with, why keep him around? All those wondering why Tampa Bay was so willing to trade him, should keep in mind that the Bucs gave him a pretty nice raise just the previous season, based on his production.

Mike Williams got chances. It's not like he's never seen the field.