$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

Completely different. His profit motivation is angelic, wholesome, and pure as the driven snow.

Heh. I'm responsive to the same market forces we all are, no different at all. But is it possible that maybe, just maybe, paying better wages can have a positive effect on the bottom line if managed properly even in accordance with the immutability of today's capitalist philosophies ? Because that's what we're talking about, right?

I realize my experience isn't representative or necessarily indicative of any larger argument than what works for a single entity in isolation, and who knows if the results are replicable. I'm not really advocating for anything here except a dialogue, because I find it a truly fascinating subject.

Heh. I'm responsive to the same market forces we all are, no different at all. But is it possible that maybe, just maybe, paying better wages can have a positive effect on the bottom line if managed properly even in accordance with the immutability of today's capitalist philosophies ? Because that's what we're talking about, right?

I realize my experience isn't representative or necessarily indicative of any larger argument than what works for a single entity in isolation, and who knows if the results are replicable. I'm not really advocating for anything here except a dialogue, because I find it a truly fascinating subject.

Employee morale is a capital investment. So raising wages can increase production, the same way buying a more efficient MPG van can reduce shipping costs. You're still using the same capitalist system to run your business, even if it also gives you an excuse to be smug. Now try increasing everyone's wages regardless of their production/attitude (ie: a Union).

I want to see a real profit sharing system survive for a long period of time. It doesn't even work in Farmer's markets.

You're absolutely entitled to run your business as you see fit, and to pay your employees whatever you wish. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. We were discussing wages and compensation in the context of a national minimum wage of $15 per hour, which many people see as a completely arbitrary and artificially high wage for what is mostly unskilled labor. My disagreement with you was with regard to the imposition of such an inflated wage on a national level.

But again, your business is yours to run, and I believe what you pay your employees is strictly up to you, and should not be subject to further regulatory control.

I expect what you see as above market wages are actually price of labor valuations dictated by the market. You pay a wage that the market allows and apparently get a good return on your investment due to increased retention, loyalty, and hiring options. The wages you pay are an example of how the market pushes up wages for labor that is naturally in demand.

You're absolutely entitled to run your business as you see fit, and to pay your employees whatever you wish. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. We were discussing wages and compensation in the context of a national minimum wage of $15 per hour, which many people see as a completely arbitrary and artificially high wage for what is mostly unskilled labor. My disagreement with you was with regard to the imposition of such an inflated wage on a national level.

But again, your business is yours to run, and I believe what you pay your employees is strictly up to you, and should not be subject to further regulatory control.

It's also not feasible because the value is drastically different across regions. For example, in the area where I work $15/hr at 40 hrs/wk can barely get you an efficiency while an hour and a half away you could live comfortably on it.

A one size fits all minimum wage is an absurdity of monumental proportions.

The real world analogy would be the business owner getting rid of the goat and buying another horse.

The goat would then demand that he be treated like a horse, because he identifies as one.

And a certain subset of very noisy donkeys would bray about the business owner being a capraphobic hippoist. #EquinePrivilige

The real world analogy would be the business owner getting rid of the goat and buying another horse.

The goat would then demand that he be treated like a horse, because he identifies as one.

we are talking about goats. Take you to tasker stopped reading at anal and smiled

I expect what you see as above market wages are actually price of labor valuations dictated by the market. You pay a wage that the market allows and apparently get a good return on your investment due to increased retention, loyalty, and hiring options. The wages you pay are an example of how the market pushes up wages for labor that is naturally in demand.

It's also not feasible because the value is drastically different across regions. For example, in the area where I work $15/hr at 40 hrs/wk can barely get you an efficiency while an hour and a half away you could live comfortably on it.

A one size fits all minimum wage is an absurdity of monumental proportions.

I like this. How would you feel about an area​ adjusted minimum?

I like this. How would you feel about an area​ adjusted minimum?

I don't like price controls in any form, and the regional solution has logistical difficulties all its own, so I don't think it would achieve the desired effect either, but at least conceptually it would be an improvement over this current nonsense.

I don't like price controls in any form, and the regional solution has logistical difficulties all its own, so I don't think it would achieve the desired effect either, but at least conceptually it would be an improvement over this current nonsense.

Market forces should determine what the minimum wage should be in each area. $9 an hour isn't going get the Micky D's franchisee any help in Manhattan but it might work in Gowanda, NY.