$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

That was just a matter of time, but if that's the speed at which it operates it's way too slow to use during a lunch or dinner rush.

I can think of plenty of ways to scale that up. It's a dumb design that has a disk-shaped canister that holds the entire burger on the end of an arm. You don't need to fully enclose a burger to flip it, and you don't need material that thick to hold it, and doesn't need to support the center. Make it out of something thinner, and cut out the center, and you reduce the weight by about three-quarters. And get rid of the arm, first of all - put the flipper on some sort of a gimballed yoke, and you can rig them in an array to cook 4 or 8 (or 16) at once without even speeding it up.

I can think of plenty of ways to scale that up. It's a dumb design that has a disk-shaped canister that holds the entire burger on the end of an arm. You don't need to fully enclose a burger to flip it, and you don't need material that thick to hold it, and doesn't need to support the center. Make it out of something thinner, and cut out the center, and you reduce the weight by about three-quarters. And get rid of the arm, first of all - put the flipper on some sort of a gimballed yoke, and you can rig them in an array to cook 4 or 8 (or 16) at once without even speeding it up.

Oh, it can definitely be improved. In terms of immediate application in an actual restaurant, you'd need to have at least three of them operating at peak hours or customers will just walk out.

Oh, it can definitely be improved. In terms of immediate application in an actual restaurant, you'd need to have at least three of them operating at peak hours or customers will just walk out.

Except for customers like me, who'll say "Hey, cool, a hamburger-flipping robot!" and stand there and watch it for half an hour explaining how it sucks and they could build a better one.

Yes, I'm inordinately fascinated by the shopping cart escalators at Target, too.

Except for customers like me, who'll say "Hey, cool, a hamburger-flipping robot!" and stand there and watch it for half an hour explaining how it sucks and they could build a better one.

Yes, I'm inordinately fascinated by the shopping cart escalators at Target, too.

I wanted to make a "snowblower" something like that. Sheet metal box with an old grill burner hooked up to a propane tank, with a blower attached to force hot are out and down a vent in the front

My wife wouldn't let me. Some bull **** about "dangerous" and "stupid" and "waste of time."

They have those in Madrid, except that they're not separate from the regular escalators - you just push the cart on ahead of you and the escalator grips it. My wife thought it was funny that I had never seen anything like that before.

We were talking about this at work last night, and think stores will go to some kind of conveyor belt system for cooking, like Burger King used to have, instead of a robot. As it is, newer Wendy's stores have semi-automated grills. You place the burgers on a portion of the grill, lower an arm with built in heating element on top, so it cooks on both sides at the same time, and after a programmed amount of time (depending on it being a 2oz, 4oz burger, or chicken patty) the arm rises to remove the meat.

It's similar to this, not the exact model though.

http://www.taylor-company.com/en/product-detail/model-l811

One year ago.....................

Proud to sign into law $15 statewide minimum wage and the strongest paid family leave policy in the nation.

Now...................

An entire cafeteria staff will be laid off at a New York college and replaced with food-dispensing machines http://4.nbcny.com/q9hKQXS

Yet another reminder that the real minimum wage is…

• 3 weeks later...

Super low unemployment rate in the $15 hr city! I thought the right wingers were saying this would kill their economy. Fools!

Fools? No the fool is the person who celebrates as if their team has won the game while leading after the first quarter. And you do realize that the whole country's unemployment rate is at a 10 year low right? Of course you do.

Fools? No the fool is the person who celebrates as if their team has won the game while leading after the first quarter. And you do realize that the whole country's unemployment rate is at a 10 year low right? Of course you do.

that's to the DON

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/22/seattle-sees-fallout-from-15-minimum-wage-as-other-cities-follow-suit.html

Seattle’s $15 minimum wage law is supposed to lift workers out of poverty and move them off public assistance. But there may be a hitch in the plan.

Evidence is surfacing that some workers are asking their bosses for fewer hours as their wages rise – in a bid to keep overall income down so they don’t lose public subsidies for things like food, child care and rent.

Full Life Care, a home nursing nonprofit, told KIRO-TV in Seattle that several workers want to work less.

“If they cut down their hours to stay on those subsidies because the $15 per hour minimum wage didn’t actually help get them out of poverty, all you’ve done is put a burden on the business and given false hope to a lot of people,” said Jason Rantz, host of the Jason Rantz show on 97.3 KIRO-FM.

The twist is just one apparent side effect of the controversial -- yet trendsetting -- minimum wage law in Seattle, which is being copied in several other cities despite concerns over prices rising and businesses struggling to keep up.

The notion that employees are intentionally working less to preserve their welfare has been a hot topic on talk radio. While the claims are difficult to track, state stats indeed suggest few are moving off welfare programs under the new wage.

Despite a booming economy throughout western Washington, the state’s welfare caseload has dropped very little since the higher wage phase began in Seattle in April. In March 130,851 people were enrolled in the Basic Food program. In April, the caseload dropped to 130,376.

At the same time, prices appear to be going up on just about everything.