$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

I don't like price controls in any form, and the regional solution has logistical difficulties all its own, so I don't think it would achieve the desired effect either, but at least conceptually it would be an improvement over this current nonsense.

I'm assuming you're against price floors as well, since they're basically the commodity equivalent of a minimum wage, correct?

Why do you ask?

Because even though they're primarily state laws, speed limits represent a government restriction on businesses (and individuals) who use trucks and cars to move goods and services​ from place to place as quickly as possible. Were these limits not in place, businesses who ship freight by highway would stand to gain by faster distribution.

I ask because I'm of the opinion that the free market, while extraordinary at generating profits (however poorly allocated) often fails to self regulate in a way that guarantees the underrepresented (ie the minimum wage worker, other drivers in the above example) a safe and equitable occupation/living within it.

Because even though they're primarily state laws, speed limits represent a government restriction on businesses (and individuals) who use trucks and cars to move goods and services​ from place to place as quickly as possible. Were these limits not in place, businesses who ship freight by highway would stand to gain by faster distribution.

I ask because I'm of the opinion that the free market, while extraordinary at generating profits (however poorly allocated) often fails to self regulate in a way that guarantees the underrepresented (ie the minimum wage worker, other drivers in the above example) a safe and equitable occupation/living within it.

I think it's a tenuous comparison that fails to consider the function of prices.

The market is not supposed to guarantee low wage earners a safe and equitable income. People need to develop some kind of skill - more specifically a marketable skill. If they don't, then they do not deserve better pay. Only when an employee becomes more valuable to the employer do they warrant an increase in pay. The market has nothing to do with that.

And I don't see how you can make a connection between speed limits, which is a public safety issue, and an imposed minimum wage, which is not. These are two entirely different things.

The market is not supposed to guarantee low wage earners a safe and equitable income. People need to develop some kind of skill - more specifically a marketable skill. If they don't, then they do not deserve better pay. Only when an employee becomes more valuable to the employer do they warrant an increase in pay. The market has nothing to do with that.

And I don't see how you can make a connection between speed limits, which is a public safety issue, and an imposed minimum wage, which is not. These are two entirely different things.

They are both numbers.

Allowing unlimited speed on the highways adds additional stress to the roads requiring additional maintenance. Unlimited and thus much higher speed increases the risk of collision or a loss of control by drivers which results in traffic jams as well as the need to engage emergency services.

Unlimited speed on the highways would be a net decrease in distribution. It would also represent a net decrease in overall productivity as commuters are stuck in traffic for longer periods of time.

I think minimum wage could easily be argued as a public safety issue in regards to a multitude of issues. Average annual salary informs crime, healthcare, housing, and a host of other issues related in at least a tangential way to public safety.

Allowing unlimited speed on the highways adds additional stress to the roads requiring additional maintenance. Unlimited and thus much higher speed increases the risk of collision or a loss of control by drivers which results in traffic jams as well as the need to engage emergency services.

Unlimited speed on the highways would be a net decrease in distribution. It would also represent a net decrease in overall productivity as commuters are stuck in traffic for longer periods of time.

Is it not also possible a higher minimum wage might represent a net increase in productivity?

I think minimum wage could easily be argued as a public safety issue in regards to a multitude of issues. Average annual salary informs crime, healthcare, housing, and a host of other issues related in at least a tangential way to public safety.

No. For starters, even a $15 minimum wage will not afford anybody health insurance, nor will it pay rent on anything above a hovel. A minimum wage will not act as a disincentive to crime either. Do you really think that people resort to crime because they have bills to pay?

We really have a thread where someone is trying to make an apples to apples comparison between speed limits and a $15 minimum wage?

That's not surprising. What's surprising is there hasn't been a single 3.5, clown balancing on a board, nor truculent dinosaur reference.

We really have a thread where someone is trying to make an apples to apples comparison between speed limits and a $15 minimum wage?

Yep, because if you're against a minimum wage then you're obviously against speed limits.

Who could possibly argue with that?