Colin Kaepernick might very well be available this offseason

The Big Cat

Leaving the 49ers with...Blaine Gabbert and an UDFA QB from S. Carolina as the only QBs on the roster?

Maybe we could trade them Jeff Tuel

I think the probabilities of the 49ers trading Kaep are 0.009% unless it's a QB swap a la Bradford for Foles.

This is a very good point. Even with the 49ers in transition mode, this will be a stupid move unless, as you say, it nets them at least a serviceable QB for this season.

it was one bad year with the FO and Harbaugh in a war that affected the whole team, He will bounce back.

Perhaps. But I am not going to recommend that the Bills make that gamble.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we acquire him to get out of it? We trade for him, kick the tires and realize he is not the answer after a year or two in which we continue to neglect the QB position, especially winning just enough games that we can't be high enough to get the right QB and lock our salary up for him and investment to him to avoid trading for another QB???

No way. No one is going to trade for Kaepernick. He is just not that good. He is average, to meddling just below average.

How long ago did you change avatars? I remember the penguin.

Right around when Sammy was drafted. I'm still super high on him, love that kid. =)

I agree with you I don't think we will, but you can probably get him cheap and kick the tires on him for a year or two.

That is the question so to speak. What team really needs him? The Jets? Maybe Chip Kelly would want him in Philly? Houston? That's all the teams I can think of.

Cleveland I think could be the ideal fit. Plenty of cap space, and they don't have their long-term answer at QB on the roster. Why not kick the tires on Kaep? I don't see Houston or the Jets doing it with the cap space they have - similar to us.

I've been wanting the Bills to take Colin since he was QBing the Nevada Wolfpack. He helped beat Boise State on a shoot out back when nobody beat them in a shoot out. 49ers were a tire fire last year. For all the talk of his "bad" year, he still threw 19 TDs vs 10 Ints for 3369 yards and 86.4 rating and ran for 639 yards.

I'd trade them whatever QB of ours they wanted plus next year's 2nd, hell, next year's 1st if that's what it would take.

Edited by reddogblitz

I've been wanting the Bills to take Colin since he was QBing the Nevada Wolfpack. He helped beat Boise State on a shoot out back when nobody beat them in a shoot out. 49ers were a tire fire last year. For all the talk of his "bad" year, he still threw 19 TDs vs 10 Ints for 3369 yards and 86.4 rating.

I'd trade them whatever QB of ours they wanted plus next year's 2nd, hell, next year's 1st if that's what it would take.

Where are you going to free up 11.5 million in cap space for us?

Edited by BlueFire

I don't know. I'm a football fan, not an accounting fan. I'm sure our staff capologist could figure something out if we realy wanted him.

Okay. So you're cool getting Kaepernick no matter the consequences?

I think it would probably be easy to get him under the cap this year if we go to the Bank of Mario and make a couple other tweaks. But that means if Kaep plays well, we won't be able to do things like re-sign Dareus next year and might have trouble with Gilmore.

Personally, I prefer either really proven expensive guys (like a Manning, Brady, Brees, etc) or a cheap QB in the draft who you have the potential to get 4 great years out of and build around. The in-between guys that command a lot of $$$ but are middle of the pack are kind of a bad deal. I put Kaep in that area.

Edited by BlueFire

Considering our QB situation, I'd hope that Buffalo would be trying to acquire him if he were available. Just need a QB to make this team into a real force. His recent issues aside, he would immediately become our starter.

Edit: I'd give up a 3rd or 2nd that can become a first depending on whether Bills make playoffs.

You'd think Roman would know best about Kaep. If the Bills aren't interested, what does that tell you?

Okay. So you're cool getting Kaepernick no matter the consequences?

I think it would probably be easy to get him under the cap this year if we go to the Bank of Mario and make a couple other tweaks. But that means if Kaep plays well, we won't be able to do things like re-sign Dareus next year and might have trouble with Gilmore.

Personally, I prefer either really proven expensive guys (like a Manning, Brady, Brees, etc) or a cheap QB in the draft who you have the potential to get 4 great years out of and build around. The in-between guys that command a lot of $$$ but are middle of the pack are kind of a bad deal. I put Kaep in that area.

QBing your team to 1 NFC Championship game and 1 SB is not proven? In those 2 seasons he threw 40 TDs vs 18 Ints, 6500+ yards passing and ran for 1163 yards. What does a guy have to do?

Screw cheap guys who might be good. The team around the 2015 QB is built. Its time to win.

No matter what you think of Kaep in terms of overall QB rankings, he is better than what we have and what will become available to us over the next few years. He's also proven he can get his team to the Super Bowl.

With that, I would do whatever it takes to get him if he really is available. And yes, I'd give up multiple first round picks. In fact, I'd give up this next years draft and next years 1st and 2nd for him.

Think that's insane? Well how about 20 years of not having a qb? How about making the playoffs this year and going forward? You think those picks of more depth on a quality roster is going to make that change? No, because it hasn't before.

It's a QB league and we are a team that hasn't found one in two decades. I'd sell the farm and look crazy doing it just to know that the QB question is answered for the next decade.

No matter what you think of Kaep in terms of overall QB rankings, he is better than what we have and what will become available to us over the next few years. He's also proven he can get his team to the Super Bowl.

With that, I would do whatever it takes to get him if he really is available. And yes, I'd give up multiple first round picks. In fact, I'd give up this next years draft and next years 1st and 2nd for him.

Think that's insane? Well how about 20 years of not having a qb? How about making the playoffs this year and going forward? You think those picks of more depth on a quality roster is going to make that change? No, because it hasn't before.

It's a QB league and we are a team that hasn't found one in two decades. I'd sell the farm and look crazy doing it just to know that the QB question is answered for the next decade.

Wow. Dial it back, dude.

Where's my pitchfork and torches ?? This guy has them !!

QBing your team to 1 NFC Championship game and 1 SB is not proven? In those 2 seasons he threw 40 TDs vs 18 Ints, 6500+ yards passing and ran for 1163 yards. What does a guy have to do?

Screw cheap guys who might be good. The team around the 2015 QB is built. Its time to win.

I'm not sold yet. He's gotten worse every year he's played. And you can tell the 49ers aren't sold either given his contract.

What I'd be willing to give up has nothing to do with Kaep. It's about the qb position. What would an average qb do for this roster immediately?

So would I give up on 10 players, who aren't on the roster, who only have a 40% chance of making the team and 20% chance of staying on the team for 10 years? Yes, yes I would.

We can't keep playing the qb hunting game. It's been 20 years. So if we did something that extreme to fix that problem finally and basically guarantee us the playoffs for the next few years....I'd be good.

I'd also do this for any mid tier qb. They are that hard to find. At least for us

For Luck, I'd give my next three drafts away. Crazy? I bet the colts would still say no.

Now wait a minute. I read right here for years that Kap was great, and none of our QBs could hold a candle to him. He, RG3 and Wilson were the new instant success QB phenoms that all others were to be judged by. In thread after thread, they were held out to be the gold standard and exemplified how our very own FO sucked.

My biggest worry is Leroi printing this out and taking it to a scouting meeting!

IMO