CJ Spillers return - Bills working on it?

boyst

Kemp posted this in the Shout Box.

Mike Rodak ‏@mikerodak 8m8 minutes ago

Doug Marrone says Bills are essentially looking through the rules and "paperwork" on C.J. Spiller. A return could be close.

What does this mean entirely? Would we rush him back to the lineup this week when we may need him most and use him sparingly week 15 against GB? We can let him stay home and heal week 16.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller health update

Bills RB C.J. Spiller, who was placed on I-R – designated to return after suffering a shoulder injury in the win over Minnesota, has been making good progress in his efforts to return before the end of the regular season. Head coach Doug Marrone provided an update.

“We’re hoping to see C.J. to start coming back,” said Marrone. “That designation is coming up.”

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Other than as a return man, I don't see the point of rushing the guy back. We haven't missed his output, such as it is. If he gets hurt again, he will have zero trade value.

As a pending UFA, he already has virtually zero trade value.

Other than as a return man, I don't see the point of rushing the guy back. We haven't missed his output, such as it is. If he gets hurt again, he will have zero trade value.

If he doesn't sign a new deal or exercise the player option for the final year of his rookie deal, the Bills can't trade him. The only way the could is if they franchise tag him which nobody expects.

So you're saying Spiller has a player option to return?

I believe he does and the assumption was before the season there was no way he would excersize it but with the injury there is speculation that he will now excersize it to prove himself on basically a one year deal. Maybe I have blinders on bc I have been a fan of his since college but I still think he can be a really good RB

If he hits free agency I fully expect the Saints to make a play for him as he is their type of back IMO, a RB who can catch and hit a HR especially indoors

As far as this year is concerned I believe he is eligible to begin practicing on Wednesday so his return off IR is a possibility

Edited by Max997

Kemp posted this in the Shout Box.

What does this mean entirely? Would we rush him back to the lineup this week when we may need him most and use him sparingly week 15 against GB? We can let him stay home and heal week 16.

He isn't eligible to return until Week 16 at Oakland due to the IR designation rules per the Chris Brown story linked to above by 26CB.

If he doesn't sign a new deal or exercise the player option for the final year of his rookie deal, the Bills can't trade him. The only way the could is if they franchise tag him which nobody expects.

Oops, thought we had another year.

Even so, he's the one guy I don't see turning around this offense. ST's maybe (we aren't good at returns).

I'm thinking that there's a real possibility that CJ will pick-up his player option. There's no way that an oft injured, underperforming RB will get big bucks on the open market. His rookie deal was before the CBA and would get him a nice chunk of change on a one year deal. That said, he may be looking for something over 3-4 in which case he'd bolt if the money was there.

I`d still like to see more of Bryce Brown. He runs hard and is SOOOOO much faster than Fred. The screens to him ,could turn into some big yardage. Please no more Screens or short outs to Chandler. At 56 and 2 bad knees .I think I could give him a run. I`d like to see Kyle and him ,run one off.