Report: Harbaugh very likely gone [update: now gone]

YoloinOhio

Maybe. College job is so different though. I bet Harbaugh just hates the college stuff you have to do with dinners and alumni and recruiting and seducing these kids and parents, and building them into fine young men. He just doesn't seem like that guy to me. I think he jumped at the first pro job to his liking, and that is the pinnacle of his profession, where his brother is. (I wouldn't even doubt if he both loved and hated that his brother won a SB before him). He just doesn't seem like a college coach. I could be dead wrong though. It's just an outside observation.

Can you imagine Jim on the road recruiting? The guy got into a pissing match with a rehabbing Petyon Manning when SF was trying to woo him and it likely cost the 9ers any chance of landing him. Imagine what he'd be like with a 16 year old who thinks he's the future of football.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just how he doesn't end up in Miami.

There will be many more tweets with different stories before this is all over.

Miami has stated they are not interested, and yet there are rumors that Philbin is done.

Both the Jets, and Dolphins have the money, and desire to hire Harbaugh while offering 8.5 mill per. It will get very interesting in about two weeks.

I'm with the camp that says he is using the Michigan offer to get a better deal in the NFL. It's possible to believe that he liked and would like again to be King, like you can be in college. But Harbaugh seems much more of an NFL guy to me, and would think college ball is beneath him.

Harbaugh has been in the NFL limelight the past few years, and recently been to a super bowl. It must bother him greatly that he didn't win it. I highly doubt he takes the college deal, if even for one year.

Oakland is where he has ties to the late Al Davis, and loved working for him. Davis's son might be something different, and the fact that the team is talking about relocation to San Antonio. So, who knows.

Harbaugh will want lots of player control, which is something he didn't get in San Fran. He didn't even have control over the teams roster. So the team that hires him will need to give up more them just money.

Screw him and Michigan. I hope he makes goes there and sucks. Not just because I dislike Michigan. A good rivalry is great. But because his guy annoys the crap out of me.

7.9 of the 8m is to beat Urban. But he would be way behind in recruiting. Hoke had done a nice recruiting job, but failed to develop that talent and get them to perform at a high level. Now they are a dealing with multiple flipped national recruits and the fact that they are now competing with rising Sparty for kids who want to stay local. It would take him 2-3 yrs to get to where OSU and MSU are. M's best talent - Funchess, Ryan - is gone after this year. If their best players were freshmen and sophomore like at OSU I might think differently. There is no turning around that program overnight IMO. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think there is a lot more to the Michigan opportunity than NFL leverage. First of all, he'll command top coaching dollar no matter where he goes, NFL or Michigan, so money is not going to be the motivator. Here's what factors in most in my opinion.

• Location: Harbaugh's family has been happily settled in the SF Bay area for eight years, and in California for 15 years, so he is loathe to uprooting. Advantage: Oakland. Wouldn't have to move or even change schools for his kids.
  • Unfinished Business: Harbaugh has unfinished business in both the NFL and college. He's come close to winning it all in both, but has achieved a championship in neither. Advantage: Tie, especially now that there's a playoff in college.
  • Sibling Rivalry: Lost a Super Bowl to his brother John. That will gnaw at him. However, having their sibling rivalry/relationship plastered all over the media spotlight is no doubt an unwanted burden on them both. Advantage: Call it a tie.
  • Coaching Preference: Now that he has an equal sampling in both pro and college he can make an educated decision which one he prefers to coach. My guess is college. He gets control over personnel, no owner breathing down his neck, and his domineering, fire & brimstone style is better suited to 18-21 year old kids than grown men worth millions. Advantage: Michigan
  • Intangible: A Michigan alum who would be given a heroes welcome in Ann Harbor. Oakland? Miami? New York? Not even close. Advantage: Michigan

Final analysis: In the end, I can't see him going anywhere but Michigan. The timing is perfect. The Michigan job is open, the football program has been down for over a decade and he's experiencing the ugly side of the NFL - getting run out of SF despite having big success on the field. College was entirely different. They loved him at Stanford, and will love him even more back at his home school.

I think there is a lot more to the Michigan opportunity than NFL leverage. First of all, he'll command top coaching dollar no matter where he goes, NFL or Michigan, so money is not going to be the motivator. Here's what factors in most in my opinion.

• Location: Harbaugh's family has been happily settled in the SF Bay area for eight years, and in California for 15 years, so he is loathe to uprooting. Advantage: Oakland. Wouldn't have to move or even change schools for his kids.
  • Unfinished Business: Harbaugh has unfinished business in both the NFL and college. He's come close to winning it all in both, but has achieved a championship in neither. Advantage: Tie, especially now that there's a playoff in college.
  • Sibling Rivalry: Lost a Super Bowl to his brother John. That will gnaw at him. However, having their sibling rivalry/relationship plastered all over the media spotlight is no doubt an unwanted burden on them both. Advantage: Call it a tie.
  • Coaching Preference: Now that he has an equal sampling in both pro and college he can make an educated decision which one he prefers to coach. My guess is college. He gets control over personnel, no owner breathing down his neck, and his domineering, fire & brimstone style is better suited to 18-21 year old kids than grown men worth millions. Advantage: Michigan
  • Intangible: A Michigan alum who would be given a heroes welcome in Ann Harbor. Oakland? Miami? New York? Not even close. Advantage: Michigan

Final analysis: In the end, I can't see him going anywhere but Michigan. The timing is perfect. The Michigan job is open, the football program has been down for over a decade and he's experiencing the ugly side of the NFL - getting run out of SF despite having big success on the field. College was entirely different. They loved him at Stanford, and will love him even more back at his home school.

I would give every one of those advantages to the pros. Unfinished business? No question it's the pros, losing the SB to his brother. It's a higher honor. Sibling Rivalry? No question it's the pros. That's not even debatable. Coaching preference? There's ten times as much non coaching stuff to do in college. I don't think that one is close either. Location? I'm not sure Oakland is the only option. I'm sure of it, and I doubt that he will go there. Rumors of his wife preferring CA may or may not be a big factor (sometimes that kind of thing is a very big factor).

Harbaugh is a college coach. His act grows old on grown men but in college the young guys are out in four years. He would have a long and successful run at Michigan if he takes it. If he stays in the NFL, he will have one or two more runs before he is out.

49ers can't trade Harbaugh until after season

SANTA CLARA -- No NFL team can trade a player until March 10, when the 2015 league year is scheduled to begin.

But the same rule does not apply to head coaches.

As soon as a team's playing season is over, including the postseason (if applicable), a head coach can be dealt, according to the NFL's Anti-Tampering Policy. Or, more accurately, it is a negotiated release for a coach under contract to go to another NFL team.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-cant-trade-harbaugh-until-after-season?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Edited by papazoid

San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh would not bite Thursday when asked to comment on numerous reports that have him and alma mater Michigan exchanging flirtatious glances.

"As you know, I only talk about the job that I have," Harbaugh said in his news conference. "Been together a long time. It's a long-standing policy."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12048896/jim-harbaugh-san-francisco-49ers-says-only-talks-job-has

7.9 of the 8m is to beat Urban. But he would be way behind in recruiting. Hoke had done a nice recruiting job, but failed to develop that talent and get them to perform at a high level. Now they are a dealing with multiple flipped national recruits and the fact that they are now competing with rising Sparty for kids who want to stay local. It would take him 2-3 yrs to get to where OSU and MSU are. M's best talent - Funchess, Ryan - is gone after this year. If their best players were freshmen and sophomore like at OSU I might think differently. There is no turning around that program overnight IMO.

Their 2015 recruiting class is falling apart. Decommits everywhere. And he runs such a different system than Hoke, it is going to take awhile and he knows that. He can make as much in the NFL and I think he stays. Recruiting just never stops in college. He seems like he wants everything right now. He may not even be able to win the Big 10 for 2-3 years.

I'd take Trestman over JH, just sayin".

where theres smoke, theres fire.

WOW!? :blink::wacko::doh:

Their 2015 recruiting class is falling apart. Decommits everywhere. And he runs such a different system than Hoke, it is going to take awhile and he knows that. He can make as much in the NFL and I think he stays. Recruiting just never stops in college. He seems like he wants everything right now. He may not even be able to win the Big 10 for 2-3 years.

All the reasons why he should come here :thumbsup: